Bus Photo's

Stuart0742

Guest bus man

Busman , i am sure Gareth has/had one of the Marshalls in his "collection" ?

Heres one in "better" days !......

Err no that was mine well almost - and it was 1831 which wasnt a sheafline one

Guest bus man

Central Bus Station

Waingate and its a edinborough PD2 on loan to STD during a vehicle shortage due to Leyland motors not been able to supply spare parts , sorry I cant rememeber whcih sheffield buses were involved

Chatsworth at last years rally this years Chatsworth's Rally is on Sunday 21st June all welcome - even transit

Guest bus man

Thought I would put some of mine on, suspect most of these are too easy however one of them will be very difficult suspect only one member of this forum will get it providing his memory is still in tact !

Guest transit

Thought I would put some of mine on, suspect most of these are too easy however one of them will be very difficult suspect only one member of this forum will get it providing his memory is still in tact !

....well Busman , i can locate pics 1 & 3 , so i will let them run - although pic 2 has me scratching my head as regards which garage Open Day was around 30 years ago - was it local , or a bit further afield - although 1156 Leeds dest does'nt help !

BTW has Babs seen the pic of the Willowbrook Spacecar ????? lol

Guest bus man

....well Busman , i can locate pics 1 & 3 , so i will let them run - although pic 2 has me scratching my head as regards which garage Open Day was around 30 years ago - was it local , or a bit further afield - although 1156 Leeds dest does'nt help !

The whole of the destination is correct !

and I seem to think someone on this forum set it and it wasnt me

At the time of the photo it wasnt a depot open day !

and yes she saw the photo 30 years ago

Guest transit

The whole of the destination is correct !

and I seem to think someone on this forum set it and it wasnt me

At the time of the photo it wasnt a depot open day !

and yes she saw the photo 30 years ago

re , the 2nd pic....was it an anniversary of bus builder or product ??? ...thinking Leyland / Charles Roe ....am i getting warm ????

Guest bus man

re , the 2nd pic....was it an anniversary of bus builder or product ??? ...thinking Leyland / Charles Roe ....am i getting warm ????

Come out of the freezer transit it must be cold in there

Don't know if this has been posted before, if so, sorry.

I don't know what most of this information means, so, here is a link or two and hopefully, if you are interested you can work out where to go and what to do.

No 69 bus, Sheffield, 1971 - anyone know whereabouts ?

http://www.sct61.org.uk/sh952.htm

6x bus with its own cooling tower ! September 2005

http://www.sct61.org.uk/gr35.htm

Stripey bus, Meadowhall Rally 2008

http://www.sct61.org.uk/zz2236.htm

I'd best leave it to the experts ...

Guest transit

Think the 69 is on attercliffe common area

....the bus is obviuosly on its way back to Sheff, and is just passing "Zeenats " restaurant and the junction at Worthing Rd. The photo was taken from where the Attercliffe Post Office is - the white building above the bus roof (centre) is the Midland? Bank which still stands , and the bus also covers the "infamous" W. Pierrepont timewarp grocers shop , which still stands ! :o

Guest transit

The 69 is a SYPTE formation Vehicle as for the other two i am not sure

....could you elaborate more what a "SYPTE formation vehicle " is ???

Guest bus man

....could you elaborate more what a "SYPTE formation vehicle " is ???

I presume its a posh way of saying its one of the buses that the PTE inherited from the municiple operators when it was formed .

The buses were present at the fromation !

Saying it was new to STD and passed to PTE would be too simple

Guest transit

I presume its a posh way of saying its one of the buses that the PTE inherited from the municiple operators when it was formed .

The buses were present at the fromation !

Saying it was new to STD and passed to PTE would be too simple

.....with around 600 others !!!!!!!!! he he

Guest Shaun Gisby

in a manner of speaking busman is correct. there were a total of 194 Vehicles that were carried over to sypte from the old Rotherham, sheffield, Doncaster companies known as formation vehicles. then of course you had the loans to which as the name stes were loaned to SYPTE from other area's mainly Manchester and Birmingham buses

Guest bus man

Downloaded this in reply to the answer to a question on another site thought some of you would enjoy it

Further to my mystery bus post, here are 3 more photo's of Sheffield buses

Not sure about No.1

Locations??, alright No. 2 is the Wicker

Hi there,

A bit l;ate on this topic - only just discovered this gold mine of memories. Regarding the first three pictures, my thoughts are:

JWB 736 (Sheffield 536): a 1947 AEC Regent 3 with Weymann bodywork, withdrawn by Sheffield Corporation in the early 60s. It is seen somewhere in the Portsmouth area (Southdown routes numbered in the 40s were Portsmouth area services back then), with one of the early Southdown "Queen Marys" in the background.

EWA 540 (Sheffield 340) a 1937 Leyland TD5c with Cravens bodywork, withdrawn in the late 40s/early 50s and then used as a training bus. I don't know how long it remained in the training fleet, however. The bus behind, LWJ 631, was delivered in 1949, and tram 62 was scrapped in 1959, so the picture could be just about anytime in the 50s.

HWA 582 (Sheffield 482) was a 1943 built Guy Arab with Weymann bodywork, relegated to the training fleet sometime in the early 1950s. WWB490, seen behind, is a 1956 AEC Regent 3/Weymann, and I think the picture is taken at the junction of Sheaf Street, Howard Street, Pond Street and Suffolk Road, with Midland Station to the right and the Central Bus Station to the rear, behind the car and coach park. Don't suppose the 5 cylinder Guys were very popular in Sheffield: their hill climbing ability was pretty much non-existent.

Now to look at the next batch of photos.

Regards,

Mad Annie

The swift with the decker behind is in Barnsley no doubt

Re post #19: It is definitely Barnsley - the other buses are clearly Tracky, and listed on the sign for stand 15 is Kexborough. Only Kexborough I know is near Barnsley and probably never had a bus service from anywhere else.

What a fabulous set of photos: makes me feel very nostalgic for the City I grew up in, and also makes me feel very old. Don't know if you want any more details about the buses in these photos, so I will refrain for the moment from getting carried away with too much information

Thanks for some fine old images

Mad Annie

Hi there,

A bit l;ate on this topic - only just discovered this gold mine of memories. Regarding the first three pictures, my thoughts are:

JWB 736 (Sheffield 536): a 1947 AEC Regent 3 with Weymann bodywork, withdrawn by Sheffield Corporation in the early 60s. It is seen somewhere in the Portsmouth area (Southdown routes numbered in the 40s were Portsmouth area services back then), with one of the early Southdown "Queen Marys" in the background.

EWA 540 (Sheffield 340) a 1937 Leyland TD5c with Cravens bodywork, withdrawn in the late 40s/early 50s and then used as a training bus. I don't know how long it remained in the training fleet, however. The bus behind, LWJ 631, was delivered in 1949, and tram 62 was scrapped in 1959, so the picture could be just about anytime in the 50s.

HWA 582 (Sheffield 482) was a 1943 built Guy Arab with Weymann bodywork, relegated to the training fleet sometime in the early 1950s. WWB490, seen behind, is a 1956 AEC Regent 3/Weymann, and I think the picture is taken at the junction of Sheaf Street, Howard Street, Pond Street and Suffolk Road, with Midland Station to the right and the Central Bus Station to the rear, behind the car and coach park. Don't suppose the 5 cylinder Guys were very popular in Sheffield: their hill climbing ability was pretty much non-existent.

Now to look at the next batch of photos.

Regards,

Mad Annie

Welcome to the forum Mad Annie, I don't know if anybody has already welcomed you.

We have some very knowledgeable transport members here, hope you have fun.

Come out of the freezer transit it must be cold in there

re post 1: definitely Chesterfield: there is one of Chesterfield's East Lancs bodied Reliances just in shot, and the To Let board gives Mansfield and Chesterfield phone numbers. Can't place the first shot, but the second one is Stephenson Place.

Here's one of the Marshall bodied Atlanteans in it's original livery:

re post 6: it is good to see an example of my favourite bus bodies: the Park Royal of the early 70s (after the deeper windscreen was introduced), although it would look better in blue and cream. Equally as good is the Sheffield Transport stop. I remember them well, although the SCT emblem was better than the Sheffield Transport used in the last years (in my humble opinion).

Guest sammyopisite

re post 1: definitely Chesterfield: there is one of Chesterfield's East Lancs bodied Reliances just in shot, and the To Let board gives Mansfield and Chesterfield phone numbers. Can't place the first shot, but the second one is Stephenson Place.

Here's one of the Marshall bodied Atlanteans in it's original livery:

re post 6: it is good to see an example of my favourite bus bodies: the Park Royal of the early 70s (after the deeper windscreen was introduced), although it would look better in blue and cream. Equally as good is the Sheffield Transport stop. I remember them well, although the SCT emblem was better than the Sheffield Transport used in the last years (in my humble opinion).

Hi the bus comming off Leopold Street looks as if it as a conductor on Ithought it may be me driving but there were too many passengers on board

Picture 3. Coach 1223, reg SEA 312R, Destination Blackpool!. We were once shown a National Express driver training video ` Anymore for Blackpool`. If anyone ever has a chance to watch this, don`t miss it. Apart from the assortment of coaches on the road at the time, it is well worth watching for the hilarity content alone, a good indication of the the way passengers were treated not only by a minority of National drivers but others as well. [ Though not SYT ] W/E.

Long time since this thread was active: I think I know where this picture of all Leyland PD2/1 550 was taken, but a confirmation would be welcome.