Bus Photo's

Stuart0742

Guest transit

The Unknown Location,

looks as if it could be Pond Hill with the bus pulling out onto Sheaf St.

...yes - i"ll second that ! ,with the old "back view " of Rodgers Cutlery firm ,which overlooked the bus station

...yes - i"ll second that ! ,with the old "back view " of Rodgers Cutlery firm ,which overlooked the bus station

I'll make it 3, its easy when somebody else suggests the answer lol

Guest kenfozzy

The 2nd photo of the Swift isn't Doncaster - its somewhere in West Yorkshire.

I'm not well versed on West Yorkshire services but I'm guessing at somewhere like Leeds. May be wrong!

Looks very much like Barnsley Bus Station possibly 1960-70. (Kenfozzy)

Guest bus man

Looks very much like Barnsley Bus Station possibly 1960-70. (Kenfozzy)

The swift with the decker behind is in Barnsley no doubt

Guest janet and jerry

Somemore photos

Rotherham Bus Station

Location ???? possibly Doncaster

Midland Station (sister bus to the Mystery Photo} T

Harmer Ln

Pond Street

What a super set of photos, which really stirred a few memories. The old Guy in training bus blue could be found in service on the 57 Sheffield Bridge street to Stocksbridge run. The pristine Leyland PS1 single deck at the Midland Station looks as if posed for a publicity shot. I have wonderful memories of the late 40's early 50's when the Leylands performed on 48 Sheffield Midland Station to manchester run leaving sheffield at 0830, often in convoy for the Manchester shops. The tea stop as i recall was at the Dog & Partridge pub on Wood head pass. Keep up the good work

What a super set of photos, which really stirred a few memories. The old Guy in training bus blue could be found in service on the 57 Sheffield Bridge street to Stocksbridge run. The pristine Leyland PS1 single deck at the Midland Station looks as if posed for a publicity shot. I have wonderful memories of the late 40's early 50's when the Leylands performed on 48 Sheffield Midland Station to manchester run leaving sheffield at 0830, often in convoy for the Manchester shops. The tea stop as i recall was at the Dog & Partridge pub on Wood head pass. Keep up the good work

Its good to get cooments about photos you post, this particular collection started life as a pile of anonomous photos, a lot of detail has been gleaned from this topic

Guest transit

Its good to get cooments about photos you post, this particular collection started life as a pile of anonomous photos, a lot of detail has been gleaned from this topic

.......just what Busman and i are waiting for !!!! more pics that we can put stories/ history to !- been a bit quiet recently ,anybody got any stories or pics from Sheffields transport past to share ???? ;-)

The trainer on harmer lane is taken before the closure of the trams in oct 1960

Unfortunatley I cant find my bible - SHEFFIELD TRANSPORT - By C Hall - its somewhere in the little bedroom

Note how the Oxfam bus as a "arm" indicator

===I cant find my bible===

===I cant find my bible=== Unlike the authors of the Old and New Testaments, ours was born in the 20th century. They put pen to paper hundreds of years ago and presumably told the truth [as they new it]. We are lucky enough to still have people around today that can point out discrepancies in our local passenger transport`s history.Hence if there is any doubt about anything matters can still be put right with a bit of detective work. Chas. C Hall`s lifetimes work "Sheffield Transport" is not immune from a few errors, but I am sure that is the fault of the printers. not the great man himself.

any body know where these were taken

The 1st 2 look like Chesterfield, if memory serves me right there was a service 10 Rotherham - Chesterfield. Not sure of the actual locations within Chesterfield, will get out my A - Z

No idea with the breakers yard photo

Guest transit

The 1st 2 look like Chesterfield, if memory serves me right there was a service 10 Rotherham - Chesterfield. Not sure of the actual locations within Chesterfield, will get out my A - Z

No idea with the breakers yard photo

...the breakers yard looks like Carlton PVS , at Barnsley , where most of our local buses end up when scrapped :(

Guest bus man

Yes its carlton lane the railway embankment is in the back ground

Not sure which sheaf line deker it is they had three marshall/ AN68 one of them didnt last long only two were used at anyone time the third was acquired to replace the one that was lost due to major mechanical problems

Guest transit

Yes its carlton lane the railway embankment is in the back ground

Not sure which sheaf line deker it is they had three marshall/ AN68 one of them didnt last long only two were used at anyone time the third was acquired to replace the one that was lost due to major mechanical problems

Busman , i am sure Gareth has/had one of the Marshalls in his "collection" ?

Heres one in "better" days !......

Guest transit

THE SHEAFLINE HAS THE FLEET NUMBER 1811 NO SURE ON THE REG

...1811 - JKW 311W - was one of the 3 which passed onto Sheafline after service with SYT (as in the photo i posted earlier). They were from a batch of 15 Atlanteans with this "boxy" style bodywork originally bought in 1981 - (1807 to 1821) JKW 307W -JKW 321W . As mentioned earlier , i am sure one has been saved for preservation. ;-)

eh?

Hi Shaun

The dreaded busgates that are every where in Sheffield, making it almost impossible to drive around the city centre. In your photo 2 in the last post you posted photos and the view down Waingate (76 bus), the junction behind the bus is now a "Bus Gate".

Stuart

Guest janet and jerry

Hi Stuart There was one photo that I have info on, which you might be interested - the pair of Leyland Leopards 5906 W ( 1960 vintage) and 617 BWB, both passed to that wonderful eccentric but highly reliable outfit - Henry Hulley & Sons ltd of Baslow in the early 1970's. They gave sterling service for a goodly number of years, as I recall it never received the full Hulley livery. No idea what happened to 617 BWB, but sister buses 616 and 618 BWB passed to the Hulley fleet they all remained there until the Hulley family retired and all the stock passed the Silver Service group. Kep up the good work you historical Sheffielders, it much appreciated. Kind regards to you all.

A plea to those of you in the know - I would very much like to locate and purchase one of the old 1950's 60's or whatever combined Sheffield Transport timetable book - they were always a fascinating source of information for Sheffielders and visitors alike. I can be contacted on my e mail janjerry@hotmail.co.uk.

Hi Stuart There was one photo that I have info on, which you might be interested - the pair of Leyland Leopards 5906 W ( 1960 vintage) and 617 BWB, both passed to that wonderful eccentric but highly reliable outfit - Henry Hulley & Sons ltd of Baslow in the early 1970's. They gave sterling service for a goodly number of years, as I recall it never received the full Hulley livery. No idea what happened to 617 BWB, but sister buses 616 and 618 BWB passed to the Hulley fleet they all remained there until the Hulley family retired and all the stock passed the Silver Service group. Kep up the good work you historical Sheffielders, it much appreciated. Kind regards to you all.

A plea to those of you in the know - I would very much like to locate and purchase one of the old 1950's 60's or whatever combined Sheffield Transport timetable book - they were always a fascinating source of information for Sheffielders and visitors alike. I can be contacted on my e mail janjerry@hotmail.co.uk.

Janet & Jerry

Try Ebay, there always seem to be plenty of Bus Timetables on there