Cryptic question

RichardB

Now, my Father did The Times crossword for over 60 years, bit of an interruption 1939-1945, me, I can only do three letter words if combined with a picture - mat, rat, cat etc. So please excuse my attempt here.

Which religious character was taking the gravy on a cruise in 1919 ?

Answer is here :

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Religious/gravy/cruise - Sheffield related

Guest tsavo

MMMM! That takes more thinking about than I can manage at the moment. Are we talking silverware here or maybe......Z.Z.Z.Z.Z

MMMM! That takes more thinking about than I can manage at the moment. Are we talking silverware here or maybe......Z.Z.Z.Z.Z

We're talking gravy.

Guest tsavo

Floundering a bit here.....is there a Burdalls connection here as in the Barracks? That would tie in with the Sheffield connection and the gravy, but the religous connection.....? This could turn out to be a 'playground in the sky' type puzzle.

(for newer members, the playground question was set by Richard and drove me scatty for days, or was it weeks?)

Guest tsavo

After a bit more brain and keyboard work, I think we're talking Moses here.....can't get the cruise bit yet....????

Well I've got Justice William BURDALL Traveller 53 Hangingwater Road White's 1919 but I still dont understand the question, I read the Mirror. he he

Sue

and the line below says

Moses BURDALL Jobbing gardener 10 Cruise Road White's 1919 congrats tsavo

Guest tsavo

Well I've got Justice William BURDALL Traveller 53 Hangingwater Road White's 1919 but I still dont understand the question, I read the Mirror. he he

Sue

and the line below says

Moses BURDALL Jobbing gardener 10 Cruise Road White's 1919 congrats tsavo

Sorry Sue, time for a little honesty here. I was in fact looking at Herbert Moses Burdall, founder of Burdall's Ltd, the gravy salt's firm at Hillsborough Barracks. So you take the prize ( or gravy browning) for this one. Well done! I was just too focused on old Moses B.

Laurence :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the credit but I wouldn't have got it unless you said Burdalls in the first place. I was looking for Bisto. lolhe helol Its an age thing

Guest tsavo

I just wonder if Richard knew the founder of Burdall's was called Moses?.....come on Richard, the world has a right to know!

Well done all; no, I didn't know the founder of Burdalls - just saw Moses Burdall of Cruise Road and made up a question to suit - hope you enjoyed it.

Guest tsavo

Think we'll call that a sort of draw. Right answer (partially) for the wrong question. At least Sue got the answer. Enjoyed it though, look forward to the next one.

More more. That was easy for a Mirror reader. Probably because you told us where the answer was to be found. lol

Guest tsavo

Well done all; no, I didn't know the founder of Burdalls - just saw Moses Burdall of Cruise Road and made up a question to suit - hope you enjoyed it.

Just to set the record straight, Burdall's founder was Herbert Moses Burdall.

This man was up on the roof, fixing a hole he was using his Fathers new toolbag to carry his axe and woodworking tools.

(Central Sheffield)

Who was he ? (Famous singer) Where did he work/live ?

ok thats a hard one ;-)

Which - up on the roof ? I feel good about that one, but I knew that I would, yeah, I feel good

Major Tom, mind you don't go bobbing about the wrong person.

Guest tsavo

Ok. Thinking aloud...I feel Good, repeated twice seems to refer to the Feelin' Good song, James Brown's signature song. Major Tom and Brown give us, possibly Tom Brown (schooldays) The silverfish escapes me completely for the moment. As do the rest of the clues. Central Sheffield is also a clue?

Still thinking aloud......Richard you've set a B******! :unsure::unsure: :unsure:

Also as tsavo thinking aloud the other James Brown song is Papa's got a brand new bag

so thats 1 clue. A man on the roof could be a tiler, I thought Major Tom was David Bowie

but no Bowie the Fishmonger!!! yep its a chuff this one.

I do have a 2 James Brown, Slater, division st and Rockingham st 1828

but Silverfish!!! and bobbing along what apple bobbing. :blink:

Guest tsavo

Great Dobberd. You certainly got a lot further than I did. Keep at it, I'm sure there's more to come.

Ok I am going to settle on this for now

Brown James, slater, &c. (Brown and Axe) ; house: 19 Division street

but still no Major Tom or silverfish?

Also got James Brown at afore mentioned but cant link the other bit. Silverfish is connected with the curlery trade eg. silverfish servers. I understand these are what we would call fishknives the curvy knives that granny had in a posh box that only came out for special occasions. :unsure:

these are posh ones fish servers

Sue

also found these

Charles J. BROWN (James & Sons) h. 1 Wilkinson Street White's 1911

Charles James BROWN Coal merchant (Brown James & Sons) Kelly's 1893

slightly off subject-Robert BROWN Secretary-manager Wednesday Football Club Ltd. h. 118 Wadsley Lane, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Guest carlie167

We are not talking about these little creachers are we ?

EURGH!!!!!! You could have put a warning up or something, thats me itching all day now thank you.......... :o :o

Also as tsavo thinking aloud the other James Brown song is Papa's got a brand new bag

so thats 1 clue. A man on the roof could be a tiler, I thought Major Tom was David Bowie

but no Bowie the Fishmonger!!! yep its a chuff this one.

I do have a 2 James Brown, Slater, division st and Rockingham st 1828

but Silverfish!!! and bobbing along what apple bobbing. :blink:

Well done all with James Brown !