Surname Interest Bertie

Guest Tracey

Guest Tracey

Good Luck, keep us up to date. Tsavo, tremendous resource, good on-line friend, keeps me sane .... ish

Hi Everyone, tis me again. I wondered if there was anyone on here who could have a look in the Wortley parish records for a marriage for Lawrence Bertie Sept 1841. I have found this from the Free BMD site but sadly there's no spouse name. I don't know if anyone lives near to this district who wouldn't mind having a peek for Lawrence's marriage. If it's not the sort of thing done on here please excuse me it's just that we do on the Liverpool & South West Lancs Genealogy forum. It's looking like John Lawrence may have married 3 times, he must have liked wedding cake a lot!

Kind regards, Tracey.

Now, you're not suggesting Liverpool is more helpful than here, we do try, and you're right, there is no spouse mentioned .....

Guest Tracey

Now, you're not suggesting Liverpool is more helpful than here, we do try, and you're right, there is no spouse mentioned .....

Hi Richard, no, please don't think I'm saying that, was worrying it might be mistaken for a criticism. I was only worried I might be asking something out of place & I've told everyone I know how helpful you have been here, you've been extremely helpful. Is that enough grovelling! It's just that the Liverpool one does deal a lot in look ups for people at the Central Library Records Office. Seriously, this is a great site & I've enjoyed learning about the history of Yorkshire & the list of beerhouses, well I said before, I take my hat off to you for that. I'm going before I get a reputation as a creep! Thanks Richard, kind regards, Tracey.

Guest Tracey

Hi Everyone, just a couple of snippets on William Bertie b.1797c that I thought were interesting & you might want to see. Found these while looking for the elusive John Lawrence Bertie in 1851, he has to be somewhere!

Bertie, William (, carver and gilder).

Residing at 68 Norfolk Street, in 1837.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham

Bertie, Wm. (~, Carver & Guilder).

Residing at 28 Norfolk St, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory

Nichols, Geo (, glass cutter).

Residing at 18 Norfolk street, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory

Kind regards, Tracey.

Guest Tracey

Me Again, I meant to say, it looks like JL Bertie was married to a Mary Flower in 1855. He then marries Sarah Hawcroft in 1860 & again in 1871. Still haven't found who he was married to in 1841 but will let you know when I find out. Thanks everyone, kind regards, Tracey.

Bertie & Nichols, (, carvers & gilders).

Residing at 70 Norfolk Street, in 1833.

Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

The above is another little snippet, although people have sent me this info before I couldn't find it myself but managed today.

Guest Tracey

Hi Richard, thanks for that. That's another of the Bertie clan. He's Lawrence's brother William's son. I have a stack of info on the family now but John Lawrence b. Liverpool 1823c is nowhere to be seen in 1851. I'm currently going through the districts of South Sheffield on Ancestry with the help of someone from the Liverpool Genealogy site. It's s bit of a slog but he may pop up somewhere. Thanks again, kind regards, Tracey.

Guest Tracey

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share the information I recieved a few minutes ago from a wonderful lady Colette on the Liverpool genealogy forum. She has managed to make contact with the gt granddaughter of Harriet Mitchell. Harriet Mitchell was one of the girls living with JL & wife Sarah along with 2 of her sisters who were described as boarders & granddaughters & I couldn't make a connection as to why they were there until now. The girls mother Jane Mitchell (Bedford) died in 1868 aged 36, Harriet was 2yrs old & JL & Sarah adopted them (not sure if it was done formally) Still don't know where JL was in 51 but this information has been most welcome to help fit another piece of the jigsaw. Poor James Mitchell their father must have been broken hearted losing his wife then giving up his girls. Kind regards, Tracey.

Sheffield History, a bunch of knowledgeable strangers helping other strangers get even more confused about their own Family History.

At least we're polite and helpful.

Guest Francine

:huh:

Sheffield Local Register (contemporary digest of stories from local newspapers)

12 March 1852

Lawrence Bertie committed to York for the manslaughter John Drake.

Hugh

I wonder if poor John was one of my rellies. Grandfather Frederick (probably Sellars) but stepfather Arthur. Don't know beyond that

Francine.