Mother and Baby home at Firth Park, Sheffield.

Stunmon

Yeah, I remember the “Welfare” the cod liver oil was vile but the orange juice which came in what looked like medicine bottles was to die for. I also remember the Paragon cinema and the bowling alley both of which I used to go to. I was born on Deerlands Avenue, moved to Renathorpe Road when I was 2 and then to Norwood (still Sheffield 5) when I was eight. I live in the Midlands now but I still have fond memories of S5. 
Your book sounds interesting Monica and I will look out for it next time I’m in Sheffield. 

The book 'Bottle Green Knickers With Pockets - Growing Up in 1950s Sheffield' is obtained through myself. For various reasons it isn't in bookshops or Amazon. I can be contacted on monica.dyson42@btopenworld.com. For launch publicity google Monica Mary Morton and read articles in Sheffield Star together with photos.

Full cover jpeg 50s (1) (1) (1).jpg

HI, I worked at the Mother & Baby Home when  I was an electrician with the YEB in early sixties. It was on the corner of Barnsley Road and Hucklow Road as in the picture.