Mother and Baby home at Firth Park, Sheffield.

Stunmon

Does anyone have any information about this home, possibly in the 1950s/1960s? Are there any forum members who were actually placed in the home?

Maternity and Child Welfare Centres were decentralised (to locations including the welfare centre built in 1938 in Firth Park) in September 1939 to avoid large aggregations of mothers and babies, at risk of bombing.

Thanks. Its just that I seem to remember a Mother and baby home on the opposite corner from the clinic, which we called the Welfare!!! Bordering Sicey Avenue. Its so long ago that I may be mistaken!!!!!

3 hours ago, Stunmon said:

Does anyone have any information about this home, possibly in the 1950s/1960s? Are there any forum members who were actually placed in the home?

Hia Stunmon. Have searched for any mention of it, but only ones I have found up to 1964 are :-

SCC  19/21 Hucklow Rd  ( same as Steve)

St Agatha's Hostel   22 Broomgrove Rd

St veronica's   266 Barnsley Rd & Lydgate Lane.

Sorry

6 hours ago, Stunmon said:

Thanks. Its just that I seem to remember a Mother and baby home on the opposite corner from the clinic, which we called the Welfare!!! Bordering Sicey Avenue. Its so long ago that I may be mistaken!!!!!

I do not know the area.

But does this section of map help?

c.1954

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 14-06-31 post-188-1219926249.jpg (JPEG Image 2669 × 3059 pixels).png

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/?do=findComment&comment=22881

4 hours ago, SteveHB said:

1957 & 1965 directories

North Quadrant

nq_1957.jpg

Not sure but that may have been the caretakers house

The building on the opposite corner to the “Welfare”  on the corner of Sicey Avenue and North Quadrant was designed and built in the 1930s modernist style and, for many years ,was the residence, so I was always led to believe,of a doctor and his family…..that would be in the 1950s. I have no idea of what it later became.

15 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

The building on the opposite corner to the “Welfare”  on the corner of Sicey Avenue and North Quadrant was designed and built in the 1930s modernist style and, for many years ,was the residence, so I was always led to believe,of a doctor and his family…..that would be in the 1950s. I have no idea of what it later became.

Wasn't the Bowling Alley built on or very near the site, it opened 1963. 

20 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

The Paragon Cinema closed 1962 and the site was redeveloped as Finefare Supermarket, Sicey Avenue and the Bowling Alley, North Quadrant was built at the same time. IF the suggestion of the Doctors Surgery and attached buildings were used as a mother and baby home it would narrow the years in operation. 

The bowling alley was built on spare land to the right of said house….as you can see from Steve HBs map. The alley was built behind the Paragon cinema….which was demolished and redeveloped , together with the Methodist Church hut as a Fine Fare supermarket.Despite the caption on Picture Sheffield I don’t think the bowling alley could actually be seen from the bottom of Sicey Avenue

Just now, Lysanderix said:

The bowling alley was built on spare land to the right of said house….as you can see from Steve HBs map. The alley was built behind the Paragon cinema….which was demolished and redeveloped as a Fine Fare supermarket.

Yep, you're right just looked on Google Earth and the building on the corner is still there. Intriguing. 

Well, the building on the corner which seems to be connected to the medical profession was, where I thought a Mother and Baby home was in the 1950s. I remember the Paragon Cinema, its closure and the Fine Fare supermarket opening by Violet Carson (Ena Sharples) but do you know, my ageing memory may be playing tricks about the Mother and Baby home!!!! I remember my mum taking my sister and myself to the Welfare (Clinic) on the other side for orange juice and cod liver oil (ugh!!!) 

Thanks to everyone who replied!!!! Incidentally there is much of Firth Park in my recently published book - 'Bottle Green Knickers With Pockets - Growing Up in 1950s Sheffield' Good job I didn't include the Mother and Baby Home!!!

For information - google MONICA MARY MORTON - (my maiden name), to see Sheffield Star coverage and my email address, if interested. The book is £13 plus p & p. Would make a good Christmas present!!

Full cover jpeg 50s (1) (1) (1).jpg

On 27/10/2022 at 12:03, Stunmon said:

Hia, just as a point of interest:

Look on this Hist Forum in Sheff Hist Chat at :-

Firth Park     by mickjj,      June 5, 2007

Page 3     post by  -  dunsbyowl1867     September 30,     2008

Having had a quick look at your life story, stunmon, it would seem you and I are of the same age. I grew up on the Brushes estate before moving to Low Shiregreen and after marriage thence to Sheffield Lane Top.

I imagine we could spend hours relating ,and comparing ,our younger days…..incidentally, our next door neighbours green knickers were always hung out on their washing line on washdays!

Best of luck with the book!

Can anyone be as old as we are Lysanderix? I went to school with so many of your neighbours!!! Hoeys, Lockwoods, McQuillans, and I was born on Mason Lathe Road at Lower Shiregreen before moving to Sheffield Lane Top. You may be in the book!!!

3 hours ago, Stunmon said:

Hartshome - can't bring those references up?

Ok. Try this :-

Google    -   image old mother and baby clinic firth park sheffield  -  search

Click on   -   2nd black & white photo in the row

Then click on   -   the photo again on the right

It should then bring up the info.   -   What I was wondering was, if the photo was taken

from outside the front of the house you are talking about!   Ok H

The Welfare clinic pic appears to be taken from across  North Quadrant…..just to the right,

. The house in question was 180degrees to the left of the Welfare… across Sicey Avenue….as the map SteveHB provided makes quite clear.

8 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

The Welfare clinic pic appears to be taken from across  North Quadrant…..just to the right,

. The house in question was 180degrees to the left of the Welfare… across Sicey Avenue….as the map SteveHB provided makes quite clear.

Sorry!

The white building on the corner may have had a doctors surgery in it - I recall going with my granddad to the doctors surgery about there when I was about 3-4 yrs of age. I think I am older than Monica. Mother and Baby home next door to Hucklow road school definitely. 

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MB11.shtml Run by Council 

listed on here under West Yorksire   Feel certain it was still in use in 1970s