Long forgotten sayings.

tozzin

I remember "chip 'oyle" being used for "fish & chip shop". Mind you, the person was referring tp Goacher's down Hollinsend Road, so perhaps understandable. 

Still used by my wife to this day. Usually on a Friday, in the context of, "Tha got money for t'chip oyle, then?"

Another in the same vein is, "Put wood in t'oyle! Tha born in t'field, or what?" to which I'd invariably reply, "Nah, maternity ward wi' t'swing doors" (pronounced "doers")

• Like 1

At the risk of being OT, further south (Coventry, my late mother) that appears as "put the plank in the hole" and "were you born in a barn".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iansf said:

Still used by my wife to this day. Usually on a Friday, in the context of, "Tha got money for t'chip oyle, then?"

Another in the same vein is, "Put wood in t'oyle! Tha born in t'field, or what?" to which I'd invariably reply, "Nah, maternity ward wi' t'swing doors" (pronounced "doers")

Our usual reply to “were tha born in a field” was “ aah Shef - field “

• Like 1

Just now, tozzin said:

Did anyone else have a “ Rammel “ drawer ? No idea just where that word came from but everyone knew what it meant.

Oh yes..... there was plenty of Rammel in my drawers and cupboards before I moved. 😂🤣

“Fettle “a word from the foundries. A rough casting is cleaned up by “fettling”…the operative is known as a “fettler”…often using a “fettling wheel”.

Thus givIng a house a good cleaning is “fettling it”.

13 hours ago, tozzin said:

Did anyone else have a “ Rammel “ drawer ? No idea just where that word came from but everyone knew what it meant.

Certainly still in use when we lived in Heanor, East Derbyshire, early this century, in the sense of bits and pieces, bric-a-brac or just plain rubbish.

My mother used to say "For two pins" in the sense of "I am very tempted to", as in "If you don't behave, for two pins I'll give you a good hiding". From memory, someone must have provided her with the pins quite often.

Was this a commonly used expression?

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 16:02, tozzin said:

Our usual reply to “were tha born in a field” was “ aah Shef - field “

Not being a Sheffield lad I couldn't say that though. My wife does, frequently, when I complain about the draught.
Also says I'm "nesh". Wonder where that comes from?

15 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Nesh comes from the Old English….hnesce….with exactly the same meaning

I remember it being used in the sense of "overly sensitive to cold or discomfort". Does that tally with your understanding of it?

If someone really did look cold, people would say "You look starved" which, at a guess, derives from the German "sterben", to die.

Athys quote below, reminds me of a quote that came  from the great Charles Dickens, “ overly sensitive to cold or discomfort “ I don’t mean it’s a Dickens quote.

I remember it being used in the sense of "overly sensitive to cold or discomfort". Does that tally with your understanding of it?

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

What the dickens is Tozzin on about?

The terminology just sounds like it came out of the 1800s, brilliant word grouping.

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

The terminology just sounds like it came out of the 1800s, brilliant word grouping.

Thanks, I was only teasing you.

Shan't be able to get me 'ead through t'dooer now, loov.

- See, I always talk like that.😁

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks, I was only teasing you.

Shan't be able to get me 'ead through t'dooer now, loov.

- See, I always talk like that.😁

I did know you were kidding, it’s just a lovely phrase.

• Like 1