Long forgotten sayings.

tozzin

25 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Hi 

Remember mum using ‘come on me old duck’ At the time my son was young and thought this was hilarious .He was brought up with the Cornish lingo . Lol

I now live in Eckington and I hear the term “ Duck “ every day, I like it as it reminds me of my childhood.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Chab or chabby was the occasionally used dialect word for a baby. Duck and Love are words I use on a daily basis.

"Duck?, ducks quack." somebody said to my mum when she'd called me duck. Derbyshire folk use the term, but the Potteries are the place where everyone is "duck" Remember the South Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams called everyone "flower" or "me owd flower" 

Mum used to say "You look like a haporth of God love me." usually when I came in from playing looking bedraggled or I wasn't very well. 

3 minutes ago, tozzin said:

I can’t understand why the woke brigade find all these old terms offensive.

Neither do I, they're not meant in a derogatory way at all, quite the opposite. 

Frankly, they live in an alternative universe to that which most old codgers do,. They .look for and see offence at every corner….and , in my humble opinion,have nothing sensible to contribute.

As the old adage goes,…”Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad”.and, surely, our society is showing signs of being mad.

• Like 1

Back in the 1970s we had a holiday in Cornwall.  The lady in the village shop called everyone "mi lover", which as a teenager I secretly found hilarious.  Of course it was kindly meant and an affectionate term which I would welcome any day of the week and if the woke brigade find it offensive, they know what they can do!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MartinR said:

Back in the 1970s we had a holiday in Cornwall.  The lady in the village shop called everyone "mi lover", which as a teenager I secretly found hilarious.  Of course it was kindly meant and an affectionate term which I would welcome any day of the week and if the woke brigade find it offensive, they know what they can do!

Entering a cafe on a cold day in Norfolk I was asked very politely by the group sitting near the door, "Can you close the door, lovely." being of advancing years I didn't mind at all being called "lovely" in fact it gave me a boost. 

In Scotland I've been called "Hen" 

Another "South Yorkshireism" "Me owd Fruit. An alternative to "Duck" in the Potteries, "Shug" short for Sugar I suppose. 

Returning from holiday and time to wait for Eurostar in Brussels, went to buy some Belgian chocolate. The young female assistant had a queue and seemed to be multi-lingual. Handing over my wrapped purchase, she followed it up in her very best English with. "Ta darlin." I was more surprised by her mimicked accent than being called darling. 

16 hours ago, MartinR said:

Back in the 1970s we had a holiday in Cornwall.  The lady in the village shop called everyone "mi lover", which as a teenager I secretly found hilarious. 

A Cornish girl who was a fellow-student of mine at college, also in the 1970s, used that term, too. Though I'm straying a little off topic here, I remember that for "Where is it?" she said "Where's it to?", and she called a vase a "vorze".

• Like 1

Another opposite saying though meaning the same, if we put a jumper on we could be told it’s inside out but in the midlands this saying changed to outside in .

On 04/11/2022 at 17:41, Ponytail said:

"Duck?, ducks quack." somebody said to my mum when she'd called me duck. Derbyshire folk use the term, but the Potteries are the place where everyone is "duck" Remember the South Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams called everyone "flower" or "me owd flower" 

Mum used to say "You look like a haporth of God love me." usually when I came in from playing looking bedraggled or I wasn't very well. 

Remember mum saying ‘fetch a haporth of chips for us m’duck lol

Just now, Suzy said:

Remember mum saying ‘fetch a haporth of chips for us m’duck always reminds me of my life as a child in Sheffield.

Regarding chips, our usual order for one in the chip shop was “ six and a fish please “ six meaning one lot of chips costing sixpence.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember where, that 'Duck' was a corruption of 'Duke'. I used to be an avid reader of just about anything but sadly, my eyesight is no longer up to it so am unable to chase up the memory. I have known some take offence at being called 'Duck' and have explained to them that it is actually a compliment but I can no longer confirm this.

On 05/11/2022 at 16:44, tozzin said:

Another opposite saying though meaning the same, if we put a jumper on we could be told it’s inside out but in the midlands this saying changed to outside in .

My Nannan used to call a Tank Top a  Top Tank 

When i was little and it used to thunder - my nan used to say “don’t worry it’s just the soldiers drumming”

anyone else heard that?

Another couple parental sayings, if any one of my sisters was doing or getting something that the others were not, I would hear between them “ I hope it doesn’t fit her / it would suit me better than her “ either of my parents would tell them to “stop skitting “ and if any one of us didn’t like being told off for any reason, during the telling off  we would say slightly under our breath something like “ do as your told, don’t do that etc “ more or less repeating what we had just been told, we were told to “ stop slow timing “ never knew where the sayings came from but we certainly knew what they meant to us.

When my sisters were arguing and their voices got a bit to loud for my dad he would say rather loudly “ now put a sock in it !” , years later I learnt that it referred to the firs phonographs with the large sound horn, often the music was just a bit to harsh, so a piece f cloth was put in the horn to tone down the harshness of the music, quite often a sock or two were used to tone down the music, so my dads “ put a sock in it “ remark was just telling my sisters to quieten down.

Sweets were often referred to as spice in my young days. A few years ago travelling on the bus one Sunday morning some noisy young men got on and I couldn't help overhearing them talking about going to a certain shop for some spice, intrigued by hearing the name again soon realised it wasn't wasn't a sugar rush they were after. Returning later they were already on the bus laid horizontal totally oblivious to anything. Us oldies must be careful what we ask for. 😂

My (Derbyshire) parents used to refer to sweets as "spice", but I don't remember hearing other people around us in Gleadless doing so.

So, what sort of "spice" were they buying?

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

My (Derbyshire) parents used to refer to sweets as "spice", but I don't remember hearing other people around us in Gleadless doing so.

The sort that gets you in trouble with the law but you may also need the help of the medical profession. 😂🤣

11 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

The sort that gets you in trouble with the law but you may also need the help of the medical profession. 😂🤣

Er...so, some type of drug? Not one I've heard of.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Always Spice when I was a child on the Manor Estate, by the time I’d moved to Gleadless , spice had been replaced by sweets, this was in 1966.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Er...so, some type of drug? Not one I've heard of.

“ Spice” referred to all kinds of sweets, from boiled fish to pear drops and pineapple chunks to mint rock, in short all sweets.