Sheffield Home Guard Question

My Grandad, who is now suffering badly from Alzheimer's, was once in the Sheffield Home Guard. This was because he was a Bevin boy at the Nunnery Colliery. I have asked him and all he can remember is that his unit used to meet at Worrall. Does anyone have any information about his unit, the Home Guard in Sheffield or know where I can go to find out? I am finding it very difficult to find any info on this.

My Grandad, who is now suffering badly from Alzheimer's, was once in the Sheffield Home Guard. This was because he was a Bevin boy at the Nunnery Colliery. I have asked him and all he can remember is that his unit used to meet at Worrall. Does anyone have any information about his unit, the Home Guard in Sheffield or know where I can go to find out? I am finding it very difficult to find any info on this.

Perhaps of some interest?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/88/a4082988.shtml

Well out of my comfort-zone research-wise, but an excellent question. Hope someone can help; I'd be most interested in reading more.

I've been quite frustrated at the seeming lack of information out there. Although, thanks to dunsbyowl I now know a lttle more.

Worth a look : never been myself

The city’s Home Guard, Fire Service and Police Force were invaluable at this time, supervising the evacuation of damaged areas, extinguishing fires and preventing large-scale panic.

At one of Sheffield’s most individual museums you can learn more about their work at the time. The Fire and Police Museum, 500 yards from Kelham Island, is the largest museum of its type in the country. An independent museum, it opened in 1982 and has won a number of national awards.

From http://www.culture24.org.uk/places+to+go/north+west/manchester/tra27950

and

No idea what, if anything, this means, but, some information is better than none (usually)

Home Guard Battalions for 30 June 1944

West Riding District, Doncaster Zone, Doncaster Sub-District, Hallamshire Sector

55th West Riding (Sheffield), 64th West Riding (Sheffield), 65th West Riding (Sheffield), 66th West Riding (Sheffield),

67th West Riding (Sheffield), 68th West Riding (Sheffield), 69th West Riding (Sheffield), 146th / 106, 183rd / 101 Rocket AA Battery, West Riding

Transport Column

Read more, see if you can make owt of it : http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6788-Home-Guard-Battalions-for-30-June-1944

Search also for Sheffield ...

Sheffield Archives: 2004 Accessions

Sheffield Archives

• Wentworth-Fitzwilliam family, Earls Fitzwilliam: estate records rel to Wentworth Woodhouse, incl material rel to maintenance, repairs, workers' duties, accident book c1931-89 (2004/59)
  • Levesley family of Sheffield: corresp, diaries, photographs and slides 1904-82 (2004/121)
  • Owen Bradshaw, journalist and artist: papers rel to Home Guard service, incl writings on camouflage, with scrap books and other ephemera 1928-88 (2004/30)

Ask Cheryl ! he he

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/accessions/2004/04returns/04ac199.htm

For information only; I don't have access to it :

FROM 1942 to 1945 volunteers from the Home Guard guarded a steel forging company on the banks of the River Don in Sheffield. The strategic importance of the company, now known as River Don Stampings and part of the Sheffield Forgemasters group, was well known to Britain and Germany alike. It was the U.K. forging plant for the production of crankshafts for the Merlin engine used in the Spitfire fighter aircraft.

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1684078&show=abstract

I don't know if this is any use, but Amazon have some reproductions of Home Guard manuals and pocket books that might be useful in stirring memories. Also the Local Studies Library has, or used to have, a collection of WW2 artefacts that they took out to groups when they did talks, as people with Alzheimers often react well to actually handling objects that they remember, e.g. steel helmets etc from wartime.

I don't know if this is any use, but Amazon have some reproductions of Home Guard manuals and pocket books that might be useful in stirring memories. Also the Local Studies Library has, or used to have, a collection of WW2 artefacts that they took out to groups when they did talks, as people with Alzheimers often react well to actually handling objects that they remember, e.g. steel helmets etc from wartime.

That's a good idea. He tends to tell the same stories over and over again so maybe a bit of stimulation would be a good thing. The memories he has are priceless but you don't realise it until it's too late. What I have heard from him is amazing.