Mystery Charabang Trip

miked

Dont know much about this photo. ( I inherited it from a album belonging to a Sheffield family called Audoire.)

I wondered if anyone can fathom where it was taken?

There are 3 charabangs behind the group which seems to comprise mainly of men. (Works trip?)

Dont know much about this photo. ( I inherited it from a album belonging to a Sheffield family called Audoire.)

I wondered if anyone can fathom where it was taken?

There are 3 charabangs behind the group which seems to comprise mainly of men. (Works trip?)

Below the bendy scratch it says "Hotel" which isn't much help - anyone got better eyes please ?.

and not many Audoire's about either - other than Harry Isaac Audoire, usefully described as "Householder" in Kelly's 1925 Directory.

Below the bendy scratch it says "Hotel" which isn't much help - anyone got better eyes please ?.

Background looks hilly and building a stone.

Could it be a day trip out to Castleton, Edale or somewhere like that? (just a guess)

I get the impression that given the likely date, and the fact that it is a CHARABANC (correct spelling rather than local pronunciation) rather than a coach that the deatination would be nearer home rather than more distant.

Could it be a day trip out to Castleton, Edale or somewhere like that? (just a guess)

I get the impression that given the likely date, and the fact that it is a CHARABANC (correct spelling rather than local pronunciation) rather than a coach that the deatination would be nearer home rather than more distant.

AAARRRGGGHHHH !!! Give me an estimate on the date Dave !!!

We're in need of a Transport-Expert here to put a date to them Chara's.

Could it be Stocksbridge ?

Thomas Audoire (Alderney), Sarah J (Ireland) and Harrie (Sam's brother, Alderney)) were from Wadsley in the 1901 Census after all ...

I'd love a detailed scan to the left of the word Hotel, then we could ask a pub expert when she is online ...

also, really, really dumb question - anything on the back (at all); did it come from an album; any names, family, album producer; any dates at all; any company names, any narrative of any description ?

Flowers in lapels; variety of hats - flat, trilby, bowler, straw, clowns hat with flower (OK, I made that one up).

Celebration, Wedding, Anniversary of some sort ? Special visit ?

Picture experts, is this Spring, Summer, Autumn or the other one ? Any clues ?

Celebration,

Could it be Stocksbridge ?

Thomas Audoire (Alderney), Sarah J (Ireland) and Harrie (Sam's brother, Alderney)) were from Wadsley in the 1901 Census after all ...

Joyce is my Aunt

The Audoires (several branches) came over from Alderney and Guernsey for work around 1900. They married here so the photos could well be of maternal family

They nearly all served in WW1 (the channel Islands had a strong militia tradition)

Issac received a commendation by Haig, signed by Churchill

Harry

Charles Thomas

John Edward (my Grandfather) http://www.greatwarci.net/galleries/audoire-es/ Also served in the Home Guard.

All received medals and survived. My grandfathers two brothers (Guernsey) also survived. Norman (Alderney)) RFC. also survived but wounded. There were others!

PHOTO- I thought Edale with the Skyline. The "Hotel" (which I didnt see) is a big affair and I dont think will be in Edale. May be Castleton? I think the skyline will be key.

Thanks for efforts, you never fail to amaze me.

Dead centre, man with coat on his arm, to his right, presumably kneeling or impersonating a dwarf is Bruce Forsythe - lets ask Brucie !

Not a serious suggestion, more in the way of humour - having been looking for 20 minutes at it.

Celebration,

I'd love a detailed scan to the left of the word Hotel, then we could ask a pub expert when she is online ...

also, really, really dumb question - anything on the back (at all); did it come from an album; any names, family, album producer; any dates at all; any company names, any narrative of any description ?

No notes at all. I meant to ask, did I see a post offering to enhance photos? I will print a copy and take out one day.

There is a (short) word next to Hotel but I doubt if it can be read?

Interesting array of hats, Trilby, boater, bowlers and the "ecky thump" style flat cap. Not qualified to judge the female attire.

PHOTO- I thought Edale with the Skyline. The "Hotel" (which I didnt see) is a big affair and I dont think will be in Edale. May be Castleton? I think the skyline will be key.

Thanks for efforts, you never fail to amaze me.

Edale/Castleton experts one step forward.

We may just be entirely useless, but we love the challenge, and wherever possible, will give it a good go.

I've no knowledge f this picture either; kept me occupied for an hour or so

No notes at all. I meant to ask, did I see a post offering to enhance photos? I will print a copy and take out one day.

There is a (short) word next to Hotel but I doubt if it can be read?

Interesting array of hats, Trilby, boater, bowlers and the "ecky thump" style flat cap. Not qualified to judge the female attire.

Some clever people can do stuff with photos, but, he's just gone to bed - early shopping duties.

Do you have a scanner or access to one ?, I don't, Stuart "stole" mine (which I delivered) - a high quality scan of that Hotel section would be most welcome.

We may just be entirely useless, but we love the challenge, and wherever possible, will give it a good go.

I've no knowledge f this picture either; kept me occupied for an hour or so

Heres some others from the same collection. Fred John Audoire married to Annie Quarmby living at Roscoe Road, married 1912. at St Phillips Church

St phillips school. - I cant find anything out about this school. The kids look in a pitiful state and are in rags,

Some clever people can do stuff with photos, but, he's just gone to bed - e,rly sopping duties.

Do you have a scanner or access to one ?, I don't, Stuart "stole" mine (which I delivered) - a high quality scan of that Hotel section would be most welcome.

I can do a tiff scan but will it "send" Thanks

AAARRRGGGHHHH !!! Give me an estimate on the date Dave !!!

We're in need of a Transport-Expert here to put a date to them Chara's.

Well, from the link I provided to the correct usage of the word charabanc, and given the dress you have referred to in susequent posts the date would appear to be most likely Edwardian (1901 -1910) but I would have thought any date between roughly the dawn of the 20th century and out the outbreak of the first world war is a likely candidate.

It was only a blind but inspired guess Richard that it COULD be in that general area.

Don't hold me to it or read too much into it

Flowers in lapels; variety of hats - flat, trilby, bowler, straw, clowns hat with flower (OK, I made that one up).

Celebration, Wedding, Anniversary

There are only blokes in the picture and you think it's a wedding anniversary! :blink:

More likely a works do or even a special stag do ;-)

Is the only woman in the picture the hotel landlady?

Heres some others from the same collection. Fred John Audoire married to Annie Quarmby living at Roscoe Road, married 1912. at St Phillips Church

St phillips school. - I cant find anything out about this school. The kids look in a pitiful state and are in rags,

Very nice pictures miked.

Given the year on the pictures I would consider them to be rather well drssed and not in a pitiful state.

However, more details of the school would be nice.