Myrtle Bank Farm, Handsworth

Guest NJSC

April 15

April 15 1899

Sheffield United win the FA Cup for the first time beating Derby 4-1 at Crystal Palce. Goals by Bennett, Beer, Almond and Priest.

15th April 1890

George Revitt, Queen Hotel, Stannington, for torturing pigeons, fined 25s.

It Happened on this day (a wonderful resource - Thanks Dunsbyowl1867)

REVITT: George Revitt born about late 1820’s at Stannington, York, Eng. He married Sarah PRIESTLEY. Searching their children: Priestley married Martha Ann DYSON, George married Bertha ? , we know this couple had two sons Harry and Mathew who were killed in WWI., Ernest, Norman, Elizabeth Teresa and Charlotte.

Source

George Revitt (1822-1891) was married to Sarah (Nee Priestly), both born in Stannington, Sheffield. Their son Priestly Revitt was born 30 Jun 1851 at Stannington.

Priestly married Martha Ann, daughter of Jonathan and Mary Ann (Nee Nicholls) DYSON on 11 Feb 1878.

By 1891 Priestley and Martha were living at Carr, and farming 180 Acres, employing two men. They had a daughter Edith, then aged 2 years. Ernest Revitt, brother, aged 24 also lived with the family.

In 1897 their son Priestly was born, he married Elsie Wardley (1902-1971) on 28 Nov 1929 at Wales, Yorkshire. Elsie was daughter of Henry Wardley(1875-1917)of Killamarsh and Martha Elizabeth Ann (Nee Simmons).

Priestly died 11 Jan 1924 at Carr.

Rotherhamweb Link

Her great grandfather was George Revitt, who was the Unitarian schoolteacher at Underbank School from 1844-1875. Flora’s teaching career spanned at least four decades, that is, into the [b]1970s. Her work for the community has not been forgotten.

Flora Comley Condolences 2009

I think that should be the 1870's Richard.

Me and Stuart have both had problems with the 8's and 9's recently :angry:

..and it can make a century difference as you have just found out :o

I think that should be the 1870's Richard.

Me and Stuart have both had problems with the 8's and 9's recently :angry:

..and it can make a century difference as you have just found out :o

News For February 2009

We offer our condolences to the family of Grenville Edwin Charles D’Silva, who died on December 2nd aged 67. June Pettitt conducted the funeral at Grenoside Crematorium on December 22nd. Also we offer our condolences to the family of Flora Comley, who died on December 16th aged 94. The funeral took place at Underbank Chapel on January 2nd. June Pettitt conducted the service and spoke on behalf of the family. We thank Helen Jackson for her tribute to Flora and thanks, too, to Dorothy Hampson who provided the music. The service was followed by the interment in Underbank Chapel’s graveyard. The family invited those attending for refreshments and a sharing of memories in the Underbank Schoolroom.

Flora Comley had been a Parish Councillor. Stannington was always very important to her and she will be remembered particularly for her work as a Stannington teacher. Her great grandfather was George Revitt, who was the Unitarian schoolteacher at Underbank School from 1844-1875. Flora’s teaching career spanned at least four decades, that is, into the 1970s. Her work for the community has not been forgotten.

-------------------------

Revitt's great grand daughter, passing away at age 94.

News For February 2009

We offer our condolences to the family of Grenville Edwin Charles D’Silva, who died on December 2nd aged 67. June Pettitt conducted the funeral at Grenoside Crematorium on December 22nd. Also we offer our condolences to the family of Flora Comley, who died on December 16th aged 94. The funeral took place at Underbank Chapel on January 2nd. June Pettitt conducted the service and spoke on behalf of the family. We thank Helen Jackson for her tribute to Flora and thanks, too, to Dorothy Hampson who provided the music. The service was followed by the interment in Underbank Chapel’s graveyard. The family invited those attending for refreshments and a sharing of memories in the Underbank Schoolroom.

Flora Comley had been a Parish Councillor. Stannington was always very important to her and she will be remembered particularly for her work as a Stannington teacher. Her great grandfather was George Revitt, who was the Unitarian schoolteacher at Underbank School from 1844-1875. Flora’s teaching career spanned at least four decades, that is, into the 1970s. Her work for the community has not been forgotten.

-------------------------

Revitt's great grand daughter, passing away at age 94.

Sorry Richard,

I think I am with it now.

Original ambiguous wording, followed by poor reading by me, after quite a hefty Boxing Day drinking session at home lead to someinitial confusion. :rolleyes:

Sorry Richard,

I think I am with it now.

Original ambiguous wording, followed by poor reading by me, after quite a hefty Boxing Day drinking session at home lead to someinitial confusion. :rolleyes:

No problem Dave

Just a quick post Boxing Day thank you for all of your help!

I have traced many of the Revitts now and it really is about putting more meat on the bones.

George Revitt seems to have done quite well for himself - recorded as from 9, to 16 to 127 acres. Presumably Priestley inherited.

As for the other questions - I am afraid the NJSC are rather boringly my initials! I am a History teacher (in London - but up for Christmas). I knew Flora Comley (my grandfather's sister). I understand she was quite a formidable local Headmistress!

If anything crops up about the Hare & Hounds or the Sportsman Inn I'd be most interested. I might just have to get hold of Sidney's death certificate to see if there is any basis for my Grandfather's gruesome story!

I can remember Myrtle bank farm it was still there in the 60s I still live not far away from where it was. It was down the lane from Bramley park road it is known as Grange lane and now comes out on Beaver Avenue. It was pulled down and is now just farmers fields that go over towards shirebrook valley. I am sure that Handsworth Historical society will have some photos of it they are based in Handsworth rectory and are open the second Monday in the month..