Myrtle Bank Farm, Handsworth

Guest NJSC

Hello

I am new to this, so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong place!

I am looking for details on Myrtle Bank Farm (Handsworth). My relative, George Revitt, is registered as living there in 1881 and 1891, but I can't find anydetails of it.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction!

Hope all had a good Christmas.

Hello

I am new to this, so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong place!

I am looking for details on Myrtle Bank Farm (Handsworth). My relative, George Revitt, is registered as living there in 1881 and 1891, but I can't find anydetails of it.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction!

Hope all had a good Christmas.

Welcome to the site NJSC, don't worry about posting in the wrong place - plenty of helpers capable of managing posts and their location.

1891 and 1881 Census images for everyones reference :

1871 - it would appear he was a Schoolmaster at Stannington and a Farmer at Underbank.

Nothing to do with your question, but, interesting all the same. (Fits in with other Revitts in that location)

Thanks! Gosh. Very quick replies.

I am looking into the Revitts in Stannington and Grays. It seems many of my relatives were teachers - as am I!

I wonder if any photos exist of the farm? Do you know anything more about it? Seems quite sizeable.

The family were also innkeepers in Stannington at The Greyhound and Sportsman. According to my Granddad (whose brains I was picking), he said that one of the innkeepers (a Gray I think) burnt to death outside his own pub - pretty gruesome.

1841 George's Father George, a Scale Presser (I think, eyes haven't recovered from yesterday), Town End, Stannington. (Ages rounded in 1841 Census)

---------------------------

Steve and me aren't new at anything; old at a few things he he

Marriage Apr-Jun 1845 George Revitt and Sarah Priestley, Rotherham

(Upload failed on Sarah Priestley image) ... got there eventually

Thanks! Gosh. Very quick replies.

I am looking into the Revitts in Stannington and Grays. It seems many of my relatives were teachers - as am I!

I wonder if any photos exist of the farm? Do you know anything more about it? Seems quite sizeable.

The family were also innkeepers in Stannington at The Greyhound and Sportsman. According to my Granddad (whose brains I was picking), he said that one of the innkeepers (a Gray I think) burnt to death outside his own pub - pretty gruesome.

I know next to nothing about Handsworth (other Members might).

Pubs, now, I know a bit about Pubs (as you may come to find out)

likely to be Willis Gray at the Sportsman, Town End (recorded there in 1911) - interested in more about his gruesome demise (if anyone knows any more)

Bradshaw Barker, Farmer, Myrtle Bank, Handsworth (1871)

William Mottram, Farmer, Myrtle Bank Farm, Handsworth (1893-1905)

also

Joseph Granger, Coal & Milk dealer, Myrtle Bank Farm, Myrtle Road, Heeley (1893) - it is listed as Heeley ! Transcription error, or were there two Myrtle Bank Farms ??

Charles Mottram, Provender, contractor & farmer; 89 & 91 Sidney Street & Myrtle Bank Farm, Handsworth (1925)

----------

also a Myrtle Bank at Wadsley Lane - apparently (1905)

James Willis Gray certainly ran the Sportsman Inn as well - but I am almost certain that Sid Gray ran the Hare and Hounds (perhaps even as recently as 1948 according to the pub records which show a Sydney Gray). My Granddad thought it was Sidney that died outside his pub!

George Revitt is certainly registered as being a farmer Myrtle Bank Farm in 1891 census. 1881 census has him in Handsworth and says he is a farmer of 137 acres, but doesn't mention the name of the place. Confusing given others are named as being there.

Thanks for all the kind replies and the photos / maps!

James Willis Gray certainly ran the Sportsman Inn as well - but I am almost certain that Sid Gray ran the Hare and Hounds (perhaps even as recently as 1948 according to the pub records which show a Sydney Gray). My Granddad thought it was Sidney that died outside his pub!

Hare and Hounds, Stannington, Mrs Mary Ann Gray 1901-1911

Pre 1930 map.

Link to full map (#4)

Things get ever more confusing, and we have come across this before.

There is a Myrtle Bank actually at present day Handsworth(S13) as shown in Steve's map (even though it is an old map) and this is undoubtedly the correct one that NJSC is asking about.

However, historically Handswort seemed to extend all the way up to Manor Top (Elm Tree) and beyond. The water works on Hagg Lane (Hurlfield Road) is marked as Handsworth although it is on the present day boundard between Arbourthorne (S2) and Gleadless (S12) is marked as Handsworth water works and the Victorian school called "Hurlfield" (not the recent one) was also marked as Handsworth. Then comes the confusion, in this area of the old Handsworth is Myrtle Springs, which is still known by that name today.

So historically Myrtle Springs, and the Myrtle area, including the steep bankside down into the Gleadless valley (Myrtle Bank?) would have been classed as Handsworth.

Two places with the same or similar names within a few miles of each other! :o

Glad I wasn't the postman ;-)

Were they short of different names to give places to need this level of ambiguous duplication? <_<

It seems many of my relatives were teachers - as am I!

Welcome to Sheffield History NJSC

We are glad to be of assistance with your question and I hope we can come up with the information you are looking for.

I am a teacher as well, - but not a history teacher.

Don't suppose the JS in NJSC stands for "Junior School does it? :unsure:

Just that as a kid my school blazer pocket badge had the letters ANJS which stood for "Arbourthorne North Junior School" lol

1871 - it would appear he was a Schoolmaster at Stannington and a Farmer at Underbank.

Nothing to do with your question, but, interesting all the same. (Fits in with other Revitts in that location)

Her great grandfather was George Revitt, who was the Unitarian schoolteacher at Underbank School from 1844-1875. Flora’s teaching career spanned at least four decades, that is, into the 1970s. Her work for the community has not been forgotten.

Flora Comley Condolences 2009