Get Thi Neck Weshed

Bayleaf

I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but there's a new book called Get Thi Neck Weshed, a Parson Cross/Shirecliffe childhood, by Graham Shepherd. I may be a bit biased as I was brought up at Longley not far from there, but this was the most enjoyable read I've had in a long time. I enjoyed Fred Pass's book, but this is in a different class for me. He doesn't use funny spellings to give the accent, but try reading it aloud and the accent comes naturally. There's a wry sense of humour throughout as well. Highly recommended!

(Get thi neck weshed, by Graham Shepherd, published by ACL Retro, £9.95)

I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but there's a new book called Get Thi Neck Weshed, a Parson Cross/Shirecliffe childhood, by Graham Shepherd. I may be a bit biased as I was brought up at Longley not far from there, but this was the most enjoyable read I've had in a long time. I enjoyed Fred Pass's book, but this is in a different class for me. He doesn't use funny spellings to give the accent, but try reading it aloud and the accent comes naturally. There's a wry sense of humour throughout as well. Highly recommended!

(Get thi neck weshed, by Graham Shepherd, published by ACL Retro, £9.95)

I remember Graham Shepherd being interviewed on Radio Sheffield a few weeks ago, sounded an interesting book, will have to give it ago.

One point raised on that interview was around the title, why did your mother always go on about getting your neck washed, and why/how did we get dirty necks anyway.

I remember Graham Shepherd being interviewed on Radio Sheffield a few weeks ago, sounded an interesting book, will have to give it ago.

One point raised on that interview was around the title, why did your mother always go on about getting your neck washed, and why/how did we get dirty necks anyway.

Article from the Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/columnists/SMITH-OF-THE-STAR-39Cross.6569449.jp

Because people like me only had one bath a week,

but my face would be washed daily and that left a tide mark around the neck.

:rolleyes:

Because people like me only had one bath a week,

but my face would be washed daily and that left a tide mark around the neck.

:rolleyes:

Suppose everything was dirty in them days so when you washed your face you would always get the reminder "Get Thi Neck Weshed"

So when we had our 1 bath a week were we really dirty , suppose looking at the local surroundings we probably were

Suppose everything was dirty in them days so when you washed your face you would always get the reminder "Get Thi Neck Weshed"

So when we had our 1 bath a week were we really dirty , suppose looking at the local surroundings we probably were

I don't think you was brought up like me Stuart,

as I was often told that I could grow potatoes in my ears. :(

Because, if you were told by your mum to wash your neck (or "get thi nek weshed") you did it.

If you didn't and your mum had to do it for you she would use the scrubbing brush to do it and do it quite aggressively.

This hurt a bit, left you with a clean neck but it was red and sore for ages.

Much easier to just wesh thi own nek!

Guest Unitedite

Because, if you were told by your mum to wash your neck (or "get thi nek weshed") you did it.

If you didn't and your mum had to do it for you she would use the scrubbing brush to do it and do it quite aggressively.

This hurt a bit, left you with a clean neck but it was red and sore for ages.

Much easier to just wesh thi own nek!

I suspect that another reason for this preoccupation with neck washing was the fact that a dirty neck would lead to dirtry shirt collars.

And in those days before we discovered biological whiteners and automatic washing machines, shirt collars and indeed, any other collars were the devil's own job to clean and scrub by hand.

N

:huh:

I suspect that another reason for this preoccupation with neck washing was the fact that a dirty neck would lead to dirtry shirt collars.

And in those days before we discovered biological whiteners and automatic washing machines, shirt collars and indeed, any other collars were the devil's own job to clean and scrub by hand.

N

:huh:

Shirt collars did need a scrubbing brush, and a block of geeen Fairy soap, to get the dirt out :angry:

Guest Steve Bush

I met Graham a few weeks ago when talking about the books on Radio Sheff. He's a lovely guy and full of anecdotes. Last week (1 Dec 2011) he was at a "Celebrating Parson Cross" event at the new Learning Zone, just behind the 49 bus stop, with David Blunkett and another local author. It was a great night and lots of reminiscing took place..

I met Graham a few weeks ago when talking about the books on Radio Sheff. He's a lovely guy and full of anecdotes. Last week (1 Dec 2011) he was at a "Celebrating Parson Cross" event at the new Learning Zone, just behind the 49 bus stop, with David Blunkett and another local author. It was a great night and lots of reminiscing took place..

I enjoyed the book so much I emailed him to say so and got a really nice reply, seems a lovely bloke.

(Oh, and if nobody's said it yet, welcome to the Forum Steve, good to see your posts!)

I do remember that washing, even the neck, was a loathsome task.

I wore my bras and pants until they left me when I was 14 or they were swept up by mother!! I don't know why.

Why do infants delight in full nappies??

On the other hand, the current purging of the human body by various saleable products could leave you with a very leathery skin, methinks!!

On the other hand, the current purging of the human body by various saleable products could leave you with a very leathery skin, methinks!!

Not quite sure what "saleable products" you are refering to here Gillmar.

What is it that purges the body and leaves the skin leathery?

It would be nice to know so that I can avoid it.

By saleable products I mean all the shower / bath shampoos that claim to leave your skin "soft and moisturised" but instead only dry it out.

My husband uses a lot of shower shampoo and scrubs himself down vigourously each time!! No, he's not a coal miner but spends the great part of the day working at the computer.

Each to his own I guess :rolleyes:

By saleable products I mean all the shower / bath shampoos that claim to leave your skin "soft and moisturised" but instead only dry it out.

My husband uses a lot of shower shampoo and scrubs himself down vigourously each time!! No, he's not a coal miner but spends the great part of the day working at the computer.

Each to his own I guess :rolleyes:

Most shampoos and shower gels are just glorified detergents.

Like all detergents they dissolve and remove oils and grease, including natural oils, leaving the skin dry.

Thank you Dr. DaveH

On this subject - why do we have TV "soaps"??

It dates back to I think the 1930's or 40's, when serial plays were broadcast on radio in the USA. They were invariably sponsored by soap manufacturers, and were nicknamed 'soap operas', and the name stuck.

Thank you Dr. DaveH

On this subject - why do we have TV "soaps"??

Don't remember ever getting a Doctorate, - unless it's an honourary one which no one has told me about.

I think Dr. Bayleaf has already answered your question about soap operas.