Ship Inn

RichardB

The Ship dates from 1833 an is certainly the best example of a Tomlinson's glazed pub frontage remaining in the country.

The Ship itself was very nearly destroyed by the terrible flood caused when Dale Dyke dam burst in 1864.

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/ship.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

RichardB comment : I don't think this building is as old as it seems, I think it dates from 1909 or thereabouts, any thoughts ?

1881 residents

PATTINSON William M 34 W Head Barlborough, York, England Licensed Victualler 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

PATTINSON George F. M 15 Son Sheffd, York, England Waiter (Inn Servant) 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

PATTINSON Ada F 13 Daughter Sheffd, York, England Scholar 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

PATTINSON Annie F 11 Daughter Sheffd, York, England Scholar 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

SMITH Lydia F 29 U Servant Marlborough Housekeeper (Dom) 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

HINDS Helen F 25 U Servant Retford, Nottingham, England General Servant 312 Shalesmoor Ship Inn Sheffield, York, England

I have found newspaper reference to Ship Inn 4th September 1847 when a dinner was held for the Order of Oddfellows there. Side view certainly seems of some age. Perhaps it was altered at a later date?

Application for a Wines & spirits licence.

The application of Wm. Lawson, of the Ship Inn, Shales moor (now a beerhouse) for a licence, was refused, on the ground of the house being a small one, and there being no public necessity for it.

S&R Ind: September 11, 1847.