Hyde Park Cricket

RichardB

During the month of September, in 1830, so great was the interest for the game of cricket, in Sheffield, after they had beaten the Notts, that nine double wickets were pitched on the Hyde Park Ground, Sheffield where upwards of two hundred players were at work at one time.

The ground is about five and a half acres in extent; indeed; it is most delightfully situated altogether, and well calculated for the above sport.

During the month of September, in 1830, so great was the interest for the game of cricket, in Sheffield, after they had beaten the Notts, that nine double wickets were pitched on the Hyde Park Ground, Sheffield where upwards of two hundred players were at work at one time.

The ground is about five and a half acres in extent; indeed; it is most delightfully situated altogether, and well calculated for the above sport.

Did Hyde Park Cricket Ground, become the dog track or were they separate place, if not where was the cricket ground

Did Hyde Park Cricket Ground, become the dog track or were they separate place, if not where was the cricket ground

I'm not sure, needs more research, any old maps anyone please ?

The Dog Track was built within the same area once covered by the Cricket Ground.

Flash Earth

The Dog Track was built within the same area once covered by the Cricket Ground.

Flash Earth

When was the dog track demolished, I am sure it was there when I started at BT in 1972 (Depot virtually next door).

also

When did the cricket ground close

When was the dog track demolished, I am sure it was there when I started at BT in 1972 (Depot virtually next door).

also

When did the cricket ground close

Wasn't there a lot of illegal stuff went off at Hyde Park at one time?

I'm thinking of cock fighting, dog fighting and illegal gaming and betting.