James S. Glanvill

Guest Trefcon

I do Marg and a whole raft of other info.

Trouble is this infernal message board wont let me upload them and all the other stuff i have on him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please PM with yopur email addy and i'll get them to you that way if you want.

Why should i bother trying and trying to get stuff on here ???????? just had enough now.

I do Marg and a whole raft of other info.

Trouble is this infernal message board wont let me upload them and all the other stuff i have on him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please PM with yopur email addy and i'll get them to you that way if you want.

Why should i bother trying and trying to get stuff on here ???????? just had enough now.

Thanks for that info - do you mean me to put my email address on here? Bit worried about that.

Guest Trefcon

For Marg, Glanvill.

From Yorkshire Telegraph & Star 8th August 1917.

IN MEMORIAM

Glanvill - In loving memory of Private J.S. Glanvill, East Yorks, who gave his life for his country, August 8, 1915.

" His memory will never fade."

- from his loving Mother ans sister Etty.

From Sheffield Daily Independent 21st Sept. 1915.

MEN WHO HAVE FPOUGHT BRAVELY

Private J.S. Glanvill, 6th East Yorks.,

missing at Dardanelles. Home at 96 Wood View road, where news is anxiously awaited,

From Yorkshire Telegraph & Star 12th August, 1916

IN MEMORIAM

GLANVILL - In loving memory of my dear son, Private J.S. Glanvill, of the East Yorks. Killed August 9th. 1915.

"The unknown grave is the bitterest blow.

None but an aching heart can know.

- From his loving Mother.

From SDGW - Born and enlisted at Sheffield. KIA.

His name appears in a casualty list in the Hull Daily Mail of 15/9/15.

Guest Waddell

Marg,

I haven't visited this forum for a while but saw your posting where Dean has provided many details. I thought it worth mentioning that Everard Wyralls "The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War" has a chapter covering the 6th Battalion East Yorks from the Landing at Suvla Bay on the 6th August 1915 till their evacuation on 17th December 1915. It covers the battles at Suvla in a lot of detail.

The 6th Battalion were the only Pioneer Battalion in the regiment.

Sorry if you are you are already aware of this.

Scott

For Marg, Glanvill.

From Yorkshire Telegraph & Star 8th August 1917.

IN MEMORIAM

Glanvill - In loving memory of Private J.S. Glanvill, East Yorks, who gave his life for his country, August 8, 1915.

" His memory will never fade."

- from his loving Mother ans sister Etty.

From Sheffield Daily Independent 21st Sept. 1915.

MEN WHO HAVE FPOUGHT BRAVELY

Private J.S. Glanvill, 6th East Yorks.,

missing at Dardanelles. Home at 96 Wood View road, where news is anxiously awaited,

From Yorkshire Telegraph & Star 12th August, 1916

IN MEMORIAM

GLANVILL - In loving memory of my dear son, Private J.S. Glanvill, of the East Yorks. Killed August 9th. 1915.

"The unknown grave is the bitterest blow.

None but an aching heart can know.

- From his loving Mother.

From SDGW - Born and enlisted at Sheffield. KIA.

His name appears in a casualty list in the Hull Daily Mail of 15/9/15.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for spending time putting all that info for me.

It really makes these people in your family real from the past!

Have found out that his Father died in 1906 which would account for the lack of input from him!

Amazing info,

Marg

Marg,

I haven't visited this forum for a while but saw your posting where Dean has provided many details. I thought it worth mentioning that Everard Wyralls "The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War" has a chapter covering the 6th Battalion East Yorks from the Landing at Suvla Bay on the 6th August 1915 till their evacuation on 17th December 1915. It covers the battles at Suvla in a lot of detail.

The 6th Battalion were the only Pioneer Battalion in the regiment.

Sorry if you are you are already aware of this.

Scott

Thanks for that info Scott, only just touching into this family history and quite a novice at it.

This website is a great help though as most of my family - back six generations (so far!) are from Sheffield.

Marg

Guest Trefcon

Hi Marg, your welcome to the info etc. Just glad to help.

Scott, (your on the GWF aren't you ? ), Charles Dinsdale, who i think you'll have heard of, sent me the war diary for the actions of the day last year, i've lost it !!! But i suppose Wyrall relied heavily on it and very much the same.

Dean.

Scott, (your on the GWF aren't you ? ), Charles Dinsdale, who i think you'll have heard of, sent me the war diary for the actions of the day last year, i've lost it !!! But i suppose Wyrall relied heavily on it and very much the same.

Dean.

Dear All,

Thanks for your help.

Have you any news on James' brother - Frederick Glanvill who died in France and Flanders in 1918?

Marg

Guest Trefcon

I was waiting for that Marg!

There is a F. Glanvill on the James Dixon roll of honour.

And as you know he won the MM.

From the Sheffield Daily Telegraph -

"Corporal Frederick Glanvill, MM., of the Rifle Brigade, youngest son of Mrs. Emma Glanvill and the late Mr. C.J. Glanvill, of 96 Greenhow Street, Walkley, has died of wounds received in action

on 26th March, after serving three years in France. He had been wounded twice previously and was awarded the Military Medal in December 1917, for bravery on the field. He was employed at Messrs. James Dixon and Sons, silversmiths, up to the time of his voluntary enlistment. He was in his 35th year, and leaves a son aged eleven years ".

He was born and enlisted at Sheffield.

Dean.

I was waiting for that Marg!

There is a F. Glanvill on the James Dixon roll of honour.

And as you know he won the MM.

From the Sheffield Daily Telegraph -

"Corporal Frederick Glanvill, MM., of the Rifle Brigade, youngest son of Mrs. Emma Glanvill and the late Mr. C.J. Glanvill, of 96 Greenhow Street, Walkley, has died of wounds received in action

on 26th March, after serving three years in France. He had been wounded twice previously and was awarded the Military Medal in December 1917, for bravery on the field. He was employed at Messrs. James Dixon and Sons, silversmiths, up to the time of his voluntary enlistment. He was in his 35th year, and leaves a son aged eleven years ".

He was born and enlisted at Sheffield.

Dean.

Have you got any more Glanvills up your sleeve then??????

Brill response, thanks,

Marg

Guest Waddell

Dean.

Hi Dean,

Yes I post a bit on the GWF and Charles has helped me with some East Yorks questions.

I have a look at this forum every now and then as I have received some good help from the people here. I'm more of a reader of this forum as I never been to Sheffield, but learn a little each time I visit.

Marg,

There was an interesting post on the GWF a few months back, including descenadants of two of the officers of the 6th Battalion East Yorks and the action Private James Glanvill was killed in.

The Battalion lost its Commanding officer in the action. The link is here-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151699&st=0&p=1459468&hl=+chocolate%20+hill&fromsearch=1&#entry1459468

I'm not sure how in depth you want to research him, but be a little aware that it becomes a bit addictive!

Regards,

Scott