Letter From The Trenches 1915

Guest SuzyC

As in a previous thread here is a copy of my Great Uncle Karl Hartman's letter written when he was just 21. He was fortunate to survive his experiences in WWI and died peacefully in his sleep in 1988 aged 94. He was a grand old man and was very proud to be awarded a special medal a couple of years before his death which I think was issued to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Somme, it had poppies on which was quite touching. Unfortunately, his son Geoffrey was not so lucky as he went down with the Hood. Sad to say my aunt was burgled a few years ago and this dispicable person took all her father's and brother's medals. Ironically, as you can probably tell by his name, Karl was from German stock himself. His father, a pork butcher, had moved over to England in the mid 1800's and we have been unable to trace any further back in this German branch of the family tree.

Karl letter mic.doc

As in a previous thread here is a copy of my Great Uncle Karl Hartman's letter written when he was just 21. He was fortunate to survive his experiences in WWI and died peacefully in his sleep in 1988 aged 94. He was a grand old man and was very proud to be awarded a special medal a couple of years before his death which I think was issued to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Somme, it had poppies on which was quite touching. Unfortunately, his son Geoffrey was not so lucky as he went down with the Hood. Sad to say my aunt was burgled a few years ago and this dispicable person took all her father's and brother's medals. Ironically, as you can probably tell by his name, Karl was from German stock himself. His father, a pork butcher, had moved over to England in the mid 1800's and we have been unable to trace any further back in this German branch of the family tree.

A very moving letter - thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Suzy, fascinating. He mentions Hill 60. That's also the name given to the Sheffield Battalion training ground at Redmires. Was the Redmires one named after this Hill 60, or was it a generic name for any hill of importance at the time I wonder?

Thanks Suzy, fascinating. He mentions Hill 60. That's also the name given to the Sheffield Battalion training ground at Redmires. Was the Redmires one named after this Hill 60, or was it a generic name for any hill of importance at the time I wonder?

Looks like the answer is here Bayleaf

"And finally Helen travels up "Hill 60" with Terry HOward from the Sheffield Campaign for Access to Moorland. Hill 60 was used to train first world war soldiers to make trenches. The Hill was named after a hill in Ypres which many soldiers died fighting for."

Source

"And finally Helen travels up "Hill 60" with Terry HOward from the Sheffield Campaign for Access to Moorland. Hill 60 was used to train first world war soldiers to make trenches. The Hill was named after a hill in Ypres which many soldiers died fighting for."

Source

Transcription of a letter home from my grandfather during WW!.

21/4/18

Dear Carrie

Just a line to let you know I'm still alive and well but could do with a clean change of shirt and pants. I expect I am reported missing as I had to fly for my life the sight was awfull I saw a little girl killed both her legs being split right as if a knife had been used but it was the effect of a shell. I've tramped from place to place sleeping anywhere without a blanket, I've lost everything. I had new socks aunt Emma sent, new shirt singlet and 2 pr pants besides souvenirs I was bringing home when the leave was stopped. I don't know where my pals are, I haven't had a letter or paper for a month. I expect some has been sent to Lestrem but I shan't get them now as old Fritz will have got them I expect, I am alright here I'm on another staff so address reply to Pte W.P. Burnand 201929 (736 area E Coy) c/o Area C.D.T. Ham-en Artoise BE.F France some address eh.let them all have it and tell them to write as I feel absolutely forgotten by everyone don't worry I shall be alright and old fritz is catching it now and don't forget it I have no money or paper to write to all but will do at the first opportunity. I slept 3 nights in a mansion it was absolutely grand the stables were like the big houses in Sheff. I think this is all at present wishing everybody the best and hope to hear from you as soon as possible from you loving husband Percy kiss all the kiddies for me

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Punctuation as per original. - jmdee

Source

Thanks vox. I'm not very good on the chronology of WW1 battles, except the Somme in 1916. I guess Hill 60 must have been fairly early in the war if they called Redmires after it in 1914/15.

Guest Trefcon

1915 Hill 60, named because it was 60 m above ground level. It was the spoil i believe from the cutting of the railway.

My great grandmothers first husband was killed there, George William Redfern Glossop.

Excellent and touching letter Suzy, and also thanks to jmdee for yours.

I've been doing a little research on the men mentioned by Karl Hartman, i cant find Philipson yet but have found the L/Cpl Land he mentions. He was 2249 L/Cpl Cecil Land of 'C' Coy 8th Bn. Sherwood Foresters.

He died of wounds and is buried at Loker Churchyard. He was the son of George and Edith Land. He was born in Paris of all places.

He landed in France on 2/3/15, and was dead two months later. His MIC and papers are on Ancestry. He had no living parents, wife, chlidren, grandparents, brothers or sisters! Just 3 aunts.

It seems he was living at Retford, not a million miles from here.

Dean.

1915 Hill 60, named because it was 60 m above ground level. It was the spoil i believe from the cutting of the railway.

My great grandmothers first husband was killed there, George William Redfern Glossop.

Excellent and touching letter Suzy, and also thanks to jmdee for yours.

I've been doing a little research on the men mentioned by Karl Hartman, i cant find Philipson yet but have found the L/Cpl Land he mentions. He was 2249 L/Cpl Cecil Land of 'C' Coy 8th Bn. Sherwood Foresters.

He died of wounds and is buried at Loker Churchyard. He was the son of George and Edith Land. He was born in Paris of all places.

He landed in France on 2/3/15, and was dead two months later. His MIC and papers are on Ancestry. He had no living parents, wife, chlidren, grandparents, brothers or sisters! Just 3 aunts.

It seems he was living at Retford, not a million miles from here.

Dean.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Thanks also Dean for this info. Uncle Karl was from Retford, moving to Sheffield when he was married I believe. He later moved back to Retford and was honoured in the local paper as one of the last surviving Sherwood Foresters when he was in his 90´s.