The Flouch Inn

Guest sheffieldgirl

Guest sheffieldgirl

Thinking of takeing my mother to the Flouch Inn, for a(80th) birthday lunch, on a sunday next month. she likes good plain home cooking type meals, has anyone been to eat there recently? what did you think?...E

Thinking of takeing my mother to the Flouch Inn, for a(80th) birthday lunch, on a sunday next month. she likes good plain home cooking type meals, has anyone been to eat there recently? what did you think?...E

The last I heard the Flouch was a Chinese or has it changed back again ?

Many Happy Returns to your Mam from SheffieldHistory (when she gets there, till then, she's merely 79 and a bit); many, many years since I was at the Flouch, probably more years than that actually.

Please let us know how you get on, wherever you go.

Not been for ages but at one time it was a Chinese.

Now I think it's an "ordinary" restaurant with an Indian restaurant in the basement.

(Or it was about a year or so ago.)

===========

Also, as an aside:

Found this thread with some interesting things on.

Like the bit about the possible reason for it's name.

Not been for ages but at one time it was a Chinese.

Now I think it's an "ordinary" restaurant with an Indian restaurant in the basement.

(Or it was about a year or so ago.)

===========

Also, as an aside:

Found this thread with some interesting things on.

Like the bit about the possible reason for it's name.

Yes, I've just been reading that vox, I wonder if it's true about the flakeing paint, sounds good.

We used to go in there quite a lot some years ago but went off it when it turned into more

of a restaurant than a pub. The Chinese wasn't too good then the Balti came along and I'm

now told it's Thai.

I don't think Sheffieldgirl could go wrong if she took her mum to the Foxhouse at Newmill near Holmfirth

I went last week , lovely carvery and menu.

Yes, I've just been reading that vox, I wonder if it's true about the flakeing paint, sounds good.

We used to go in there quite a lot some years ago but went off it when it turned into more

of a restaurant than a pub. The Chinese wasn't too good then the Balti came along and I'm

now told it's Thai.

I don't think Sheffieldgirl could go wrong if she took her mum to the Foxhouse at Newmill near Holmfirth

I went last week , lovely carvery and menu.

Is there a Fox House at Newmill ? I am very familiar with the one on the B6106 Flint Lane, Dunford, Holmfirth.

We went there for donkey's years and never had a meal that was less than excellent.

My brother-in-law and myself used to compete as to who could finish the mixed grill (or Mick's Gorilla as we called it). It came on a plate the size of Rutlandshire and was a real trenchermans meal. Needless to say I always finished my plate and a bit of his as well.

We've not been there for a few years but I note from the website that it's gone a bit upmarket into "gastropub" territory so If it's the sort of place where you get 3 carefully placed items on a square plate, you can count me out.

It also featured several times in my favorite TV comedy Last Of The Summer Wine along with the Monkey (Eastfield Inn as was).

hilldweller

Is there a Fox House at Newmill ? I am very familiar with the one on the B6106 Flint Lane, Dunford, Holmfirth.

We went there for donkey's years and never had a meal that was less than excellent.

My brother-in-law and myself used to compete as to who could finish the mixed grill (or Mick's Gorilla as we called it). It came on a plate the size of Rutlandshire and was a real trenchermans meal. Needless to say I always finished my plate and a bit of his as well.

We've not been there for a few years but I note from the website that it's gone a bit upmarket into "gastropub" territory so If it's the sort of place where you get 3 carefully placed items on a square plate, you can count me out.

It also featured several times in my favorite TV comedy Last Of The Summer Wine along with the Monkey (Eastfield Inn as was).

hilldweller

I think we are talking the same Fox House it's not actually in Holmfirth or New Mill but near enough.

Is this the one you mean hilldweller?

Penistone Road , Hepworth, Holmfirth.

With the carvery you can put on as much as you like, my husband had fish chips and peas and the portion was far too big.

We apologized for leaving some and had no room for dessert. The only trouble with this place it's a bit too far out.

I once went on coach trip Christmas dinner there and it started to snow, we were lucky to get back home that night. :o

Guest julian firth

I drove to the Flouch today with the intention of having the Carvery but unfortunatley it was closed for some reason. We went a couple of months ago and had a decent carvery 3 different meats and loads of different veg. We ended up at the Old Horns in Bradfield today which was nice.

I drove to the Flouch today with the intention of having the Carvery but unfortunatley it was closed for some reason. We went a couple of months ago and had a decent carvery 3 different meats and loads of different veg. We ended up at the Old Horns in Bradfield today which was nice.

Welcome to Sheffield History Julian.

Unfortunately you have joined us at a time that we are having technical problems and some of the site features are not working properly.

Hopefully they will soon be fixed and you will be able to enjoy the full benefits of posting on the site.

Thank you for posting.

I think we are talking the same Fox House it's not actually in Holmfirth or New Mill but near enough.

Is this the one you mean hilldweller?

Penistone Road , Hepworth, Holmfirth.

With the carvery you can put on as much as you like, my husband had fish chips and peas and the portion was far too big.

We apologized for leaving some and had no room for dessert. The only trouble with this place it's a bit too far out.

I once went on coach trip Christmas dinner there and it started to snow, we were lucky to get back home that night. :o

Yup that's the one UL, it's actually situated on Flint Lane; Penistone Road starts at the next junction nearer Holmfirth. After all those years commuting from Sheffield to Stocksbridge it doesn't seem a long way at all. Nobut but a cocks-stride.

You can tell it's a long time since I went that way, there was still a cross-roads at Flouch. Straight across at the cross-roads, down the hill under the railway bridge, turn left at the little school and round the bend and up the hill and you were there.

HD

Guest sheffieldgirl

Hi, well thanks to all who took the time to answer my post, Re. the Flouch. And thanks for introducing me to the Foxhouse Inn, which I had never heard of before. Anyway we have just had a “test run” to the Foxhouse for a lunch time carvery, prior to taking my mother there for her birthday, and it was brilliant!, the food and service were second to none, also the price’s are very good. This is a link to their website if you want to check it out. Regards E.

http://www.thefoxhouseinn.co.uk

Hi, well thanks to all who took the time to answer my post, Re. the Flouch. And thanks for introducing me to the Foxhouse Inn, which I had never heard of before. Anyway we have just had a "test run" to the Foxhouse for a lunch time carvery, prior to taking my mother there for her birthday, and it was brilliant!, the food and service were second to none, also the price's are very good. This is a link to their website if you want to check it out. Regards E.

Followed the link to the website, and was greatly impressed. The last time I visited Fox House inn for a meal the food was nondescript and the service was dreadful.....then I realised we're talking about a different Inn! This one looks excellent, thanks for posting it!

Hi, well thanks to all who took the time to answer my post, Re. the Flouch. And thanks for introducing me to the Foxhouse Inn, which I had never heard of before. Anyway we have just had a “test run” to the Foxhouse for a lunch time carvery, prior to taking my mother there for her birthday, and it was brilliant!, the food and service were second to none, also the price’s are very good. This is a link to their website if you want to check it out. Regards E.

I'm glad you liked it sheffieldgirl, I think the other Foxhouse which bayleaf mentioned is in the Hathersage area,

and Ive heard one or two people say they would never go back.