Which Building Houses This Quote?

Guest plain talker

Guest plain talker

I visited a building today, and was astounded to find this wonderful and inspiring quote, embedded on the wall.

The quote is by Robert Louis Stevenson.

"If a man loves the labour of his trade, apart from any question of success or fame, the gods have called him. "

As a diversion, and just for a touch of amusement, on a damp and miserable Sunday afternoon... I wondered if any members had an idea where it could be?

love

PT

I visited a building today, and was astounded to find this wonderful and inspiring quote, embedded on the wall.

The quote is by Robert Louis Stevenson.

"If a man loves the labour of his trade, apart from any question of success or fame, the gods have called him. "

er than a weekend)

As a diversion, and just for a touch of amusement, on a damp and miserable Sunday afternoon... I wondered if any members had an idea where it could be?

love

PT

You have me beaten there ! A fine question.

Is this an old or a new building please ? (Over 29 years since I was in Sheffield longer than a weekend).

Guest plain talker

You have me beaten there ! A fine question.

Is this an old or a new building please ? (Over 29 years since I was in Sheffield longer than a weekend).

erm.. depends what you mean by old/ new. it's all a bit relative, isn't it? (she chuckles)

I'd say, looking at the architecture of the building, it's a mid-sixties build.

I was wanting to get a photograph of the building, and the wall upon which the quote sits. I may still try to do that

:D

(I suppose it has to go without saying, the building is quite definitely within the city boundaries of Sheffield, incidentally)

erm.. depends what you mean by old/ new. it's all a bit relative, isn't it? (she chuckles)

I'd say, looking at the architecture of the building, it's a mid-sixties build.

I was wanting to get a photograph of the building, and the wall upon which the quote sits. I may still try to do that

:D

(I suppose it has to go without saying, the building is quite definitely within the city boundaries of Sheffield, incidentally)

Sorry, should have put some numbers up - let's say, for future reference, old is pre WW2, new is after that - if people prefer to name a decade e.g. 1960's - 1970's (like I didn't) or range e.g.thats fine.

the building may be as early as mid fifties, incidentally.

If you leave out the middle bit, between the two commas, it sounds a lot like Proverbs 22:29

"Have you beheld a man skillful in his work? Before kings is where he will station himself"

However, I think the quote is more likely to be found in a Trade Union building than a church.

Guest plain talker

If you leave out the middle bit, between the two commas, it sounds a lot like Proverbs 22:29

"Have you beheld a man skillful in his work? Before kings is where he will station himself"

However, I think the quote is more likely to be found in a Trade Union building than a church.

HI Thylacine. (or should that be G'daay?")

strangely, the quote is on an exterior wall and yes, I would have expected it to have been a trades union building, too rather than the building it is actually on...

Guest plain talker

The quote is from Robert Louis Stevenson.

A stab in the "half light" - Is it on the St James building on Vicar Lane ?

Very sorry vox, but, no... :( you're quite cold there... Nice try though.