George Barnsley's Cornish Works .

Guest Rustysphotography

Guest Rustysphotography

Thought that you may appreciate a look inside George Barnsley's . I am an Urban Explorer and recently visited this awesome location in Sheffield . I really enjoyed this explore as the place is like a time capsule . If any body on here has any history they could share with me that would be great and some old photos would be gold in my eyes . If any one knows of any other great abandoned buildings around Sheffield please don't hesitate to let me know as i am always on the look out for other locations to explore .

Hope you all like my photo tour around George Barnsley's .

Do not copy or use my work as all my images are subject to copyright , if you would like to use any shots then please contact me about it .

Lots more of my explores can be seen on this link ........

Photo Sets

Hope you all like my photo tour around George Barnsley's .

Great photos, I wonder what "toecap punch pliers" looked like ?

I used to go there in around 1963 with a lad from college, we used to go at lunch-time to see his mother who worked on the ground floor on a file-cutting machine. I didn't see any further inside the works.

My cousin and uncle worked opposite at James Dixons, now that was a journey back in time, to about the era of Queen Victoria.

My uncle lost his left hand when a drop-stamp dropped when it shouldn't have !

hilldweller

Guest Southwell

If you have an interest in George Barnsley and Sons you may be interested in a new book called

Forging History, The Story of George Barnsley and Sons toolmakers and the family members who helped forge local and national history.

Pauline Bell with Colin Barnsley ISBN 978-1-906722-16-6

Should be obtainable through local bookshops especially in Sheffield or on Amazon. If all else fails contact Colin Barnsley at Woodware Repititions Mowbray St. Sheffield. Google the firm for his phone number.

What fantastic pictures, I love looking around buildings like this.

Does anyone know what the future is for this place?

My Grandparents worked here so a few years ago I spent hours in the place, full of roosting and dead pigeons, I was afraid I would catch Pigeon fanciers disease with the dust.

The place is owned by a developer - Gerald.... cant remember but you see his name on developments everywhere, he lives in Switzerland.

A member of the Barnsley family told me he was afraid it would all catch fire. People were regularly ransacking the the place. Its secured now.

I contacted the City Council myself and was told it is a listed building but as for the contents, its a grey area. I was interested in the grinding hulls. I even tried to find homes for them I told Kelham Island Museum, whos own had been thrown out because of flood damage, (Never understood that) Anyhow not interested.

I sent all my pictures to the Council "Heritage conservation dept" .in case they could be used. Quite happy for people to use to this end. Heres some

My Grandparents worked here so a few years ago I spent hours in the place, full of roosting and dead pigeons, I was afraid I would catch Pigeon fanciers disease with the dust.

The place is owned by a developer - Gerald.... cant remember but you see his name on developments everywhere, he lives in Switzerland.

A member of the Barnsley family told me he was afraid it would all catch fire. People were regularly ransacking the the place. Its secured now.

I contacted the City Council myself and was told it is a listed building but as for the contents, its a grey area. I was interested in the grinding hulls. I even tried to find homes for them I told Kelham Island Museum, whos own had been thrown out because of flood damage, (Never understood that) Anyhow not interested.

I sent all my pictures to the Council "Heritage conservation dept" .in case they could be used. Quite happy for people to use to this end. Heres some

Thanks miked, this is our history. . going. . . going :(