Present for my Mother

RichardB

After a cheerful afternoon in the Cottage, Rose, Palm, Freedom, Florist etc etc I decided to get my Mother a present, a large marble slab, that looked good, we had a nice base to put it on, useful for making pastry etc. Got it, hauled it on my back and crawled painfully with 250 pounds of marble on my back, UP Heighton Street, along Camm Street and home into Greenhow Street. I deposited it safely in the outside loo, then went to bed to "sleep it off".

Next day, could I lift the damned thing, could I heck !

It took two of us, Dad and me to lift it, Mother had it for a number of year, it went to Steeple Bumpstead (where Mom and Dad lived), where it was broken by a person with some mental problems, replaced by insurance, then I got it given back to me; step-daughter finally broke it (aged 15, I can lift that ... my wife is 5 foot 1inch, has trouble lifting the kitten) whilst I was away working.

You try lifting a piece of marble, 4 feet, by two and a half feet wide and an inch thick, this was in 1984/5, I used to lift weights at Fizzical Fitness Club, Hillsborough corner I was fourteen and a half stone and "as hard as nails" back then, now I'm 19 stone and just fat, old and balding; which is nice :rolleyes:

Back then we used to lift the full-stack on the bench presses, do all the impressive free-lifts, do the rowing machine till it gave in; then we'd go and eat like Kings near the Freemasons, then sink 14 pints in the Old Blue Ball.

These days, I just ask Tsavo who made the chain that held up the candle sticks in the second of the four Sheffield Town Halls.

Guest tsavo

Hi Richard,

Daughter & Grandaughter return to UK today, so will have more time to work on your latest poser. Must admit it's a toughy this time. Am even dreaming R E Leader type dreams!