Odd House

Guest Jeremy

I noticed this house called 'Odd House' on the 1890 map of Sheffield. It would be in the middle of the Manor Estate if it still existed today. I'm intrigued because of the unusual name. Any info?

Jeremy

I noticed this house called 'Odd House' on the 1890 map of Sheffield. It would be in the middle of the Manor Estate if it still existed today. I'm intrigued because of the unusual name. Any info?

Jeremy

A feeble amount of information to start it off.

Frederick Roberts, no occupation given, Oddhouse, Prince of Wales Road (from Kelly's 1925).

Which kind of begs the question, when was Prince of Wales Road built ? Are there any pictures of construction ? I'm assuming there wasn't a lot there to demolish judging by that map, but, I may be wrong on that. Was Prince of Wales Road made much earlier than the rest of the estate ?

... and a variety of descrptions/names for Crabtree Farm

Samuel Staniforth, Farmer, Crabtree Farm, Park 1852

Edward Dodson, Farmer, Crabtree Farm, Corker Bottom, Manor Lane, Intake Road 1893

John Heward, Farmer, Crabtree Farm, Corker Bottom, Manor Lane, Park 1911

Cliff Rhodes, Farmer, Crabtree Farm, Corker Bottom, Manor Lane, Park 1919

Clifford Rhodes, Farmer, Crabtree Farm, Prince of Wales Road 1925

May need to give us a bit bigger piece of map, but, this may be of interest :

Hounsfield, Wilson, Dunn & Jeffcock, Sheffield Coal Company, Corker Bottoms Pit (White's 1849).

Do we know why the name Corker Bottom(s) ? or where it originated please ?

How many of these entries refer to the same place ?

All White's 1849, Hounsfield, Wilson, Dunn & Jeffcock, Sheffield Coal Co., coal owners - seperate entries for the following addresses :

New Haymarket

Soap House Pit

Park Pit

Manot Pit

Corker Bottoms Pit

Arbourthorne Pit

Birley Vale Pit

Deep Pit

I would have thought at least three are the same place. Soap House ??

1852 Hounsfield, Wilson, Dunn & Jeffcock, Sheffield Coal Co., coal owners

New Haymarket and Soap House, Park, Manor, Corkey Bottoms, Birley Vale - Corkey = Spelling or transcription error, as per http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

A feeble amount of information to start it off.

Frederick Roberts, no occupation given, Oddhouse, Prince of Wales Road (from Kelly's 1925).

Which kind of begs the question, when was Prince of Wales Road built ? Are there any pictures of construction ? I'm assuming there wasn't a lot there to demolish judging by that map, but, I may be wrong on that. Was Prince of Wales Road made much earlier than the rest of the estate ?

There is, in one of those Sheffield photo books (Possiibly Images or More images of Sheffield) , before & after photos of the land before POW Road was built & after. I'll look at home unless someone else has them

or Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00513

Excellent aerial photograph from PictureSheffield, anyone care to hazard a guess at the date ? Or can anyone narrow down the date range by the appearance or lack of particular buildings ?

Guest ThomasDean

I have somewhere a book with information about the Manor in the early 20th century, but it is currently in storage with most of my possessions, when I dig it out I'll try to scan it and host it on a site like 4shared and pop the link up on here. I would be interested to know the locations of the pits, for you see a friend of mine lives but 100 yards from the tram line at manor top whilst I live just over a mile away. However at night I can hear the tram pass over manor top quite loudly, whereas he can hardly hear it at all, I presume the vibrations of the trams the track are passing through to the underground tunnels and being carried along, thus I can hear the tram at a distance of 1 mile quite loudly, whilst when 50 yards away hardly at all!

Guest ThomasDean

Excellent aerial photograph from PictureSheffield, anyone care to hazard a guess at the date ? Or can anyone narrow down the date range by the appearance or lack of particular buildings ?

My guess is around 1931-36.

Construction of the tramway along Prince of Wales Road was started in July 1927, and was constructed "with little alteration to the existing road", according to Chas C Hall (Sheffield Transport). This surprised me, as I thought the tramway was built at the same time as the road.

In January 1926 buses began using Prince of Wales Road on licensed services, which helps to confirm that it was certainly open by the end of 1925.

There is, in one of those Sheffield photo books (Possiibly Images or More images of Sheffield) , before & after photos of the land before POW Road was built & after. I'll look at home unless someone else has them

or Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00513

I've seen the picture you refer to, but where, I will search through my books tonight, unless anybody else can beat me to it.

I've seen the picture you refer to, but where, I will search through my books tonight, unless anybody else can beat me to it.

Or it could be 'Sheffield since 1900' by Peter Harvey or.... lol

Jeremy

I think this is from a Godfrey map - so around 1900 - does this match the top of the map posted by Jeremy?

I think this is from a Godfrey map - so around 1900 - does this match the top of the map posted by Jeremy?

You need to be more South-east, Dunsby

Here's a 1931 Regional Planing Scheme

May need to give us a bit bigger piece of map, but, this may be of interest :

Hounsfield, Wilson, Dunn & Jeffcock, Sheffield Coal Company, Corker Bottoms Pit (White's 1849).

Do we know why the name Corker Bottom(s) ? or where it originated please ?

The full map is here:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=25214

I can find Woodthorpe, Manor Castle, and Nunnery collieries in the general area, but not Corker Bottoms Pit.

Addy, in his Sheffield Glossary, gives odd as meaning lonely, and the examples he uses are 'an odd house', 'an odd place'.

I have somewhere a book with information about the Manor in the early 20th century, but it is currently in storage with most of my possessions, when I dig it out I'll try to scan it and host it on a site like 4shared and pop the link up on here. I would be interested to know the locations of the pits, for you see a friend of mine lives but 100 yards from the tram line at manor top whilst I live just over a mile away. However at night I can hear the tram pass over manor top quite loudly, whereas he can hardly hear it at all, I presume the vibrations of the trams the track are passing through to the underground tunnels and being carried along, thus I can hear the tram at a distance of 1 mile quite loudly, whilst when 50 yards away hardly at all!

Thanks to the book Sheffield Since 1900. `The Star`

Thanks to the book Sheffield Since 1900. `The Star`

Nice find. By comparison with the maps, I think that this is Odd House:

Nice find. By comparison with the maps, I think that this is Odd House:

And the construction of Prince of Wales Road was part of the Unemployed Relief scheme first proposed in December 1920 and was officially opened in October 1921 at a cost of £66,708!

And the construction of Prince of Wales Road was part of the Unemployed Relief scheme first proposed in December 1920 and was officially opened in October 1921 at a cost of £66,708!

Can't do much better than that ! Great work.

My grandfather worked as part of a roadmaking team for Sheffield Corporation from starting work after the end of the first world war until his early retirement through ill health in 1957. He worked on many of Sheffields major roads including Prince of Wales Road and, were he still alive, I am sure he would be able to give me a date for POW Road and the others he worked on.

In the late 1920's he was also a professional footballer for, amongst others, Rotherham United, and in the second world war he was an ARP man so he certainly did his bit locally.

It makes me wonder which "Prince of Wales" the road was named after if it was built at this time, - too late for the long investiture of Edward VII in the second half of the 1800's and for George V (to 1910) but too early for the abdicating Edward VIII and our last king George VI.

A 1920's date would leave the current "Prince of Wales" as being Edward VIII

My grandfather worked as part of a roadmaking team for Sheffield Corporation from starting work after the end of the first world war until his early retirement through ill health in 1957. He worked on many of Sheffields major roads including Prince of Wales Road and, were he still alive, I am sure he would be able to give me a date for POW Road and the others he worked on.

In the late 1920's he was also a professional footballer for, amongst others, Rotherham United, and in the second world war he was an ARP man so he certainly did his bit locally.

It makes me wonder which "Prince of Wales" the road was named after if it was built at this time, - too late for the long investiture of Edward VII in the second half of the 1800's and for George V (to 1910) but too early for the abdicating Edward VIII and our last king George VI.

A 1920's date would leave the current "Prince of Wales" as being Edward VIII

Interesting family history Dave - I was reading that between 1920 and 1927 the City Engineer's department spent £914,729 on unemployed relief works (£414,921 on wages) which must equate to a fortune these days!

Interesting family history Dave - I was reading that between 1920 and 1927 the City Engineer's department spent £914,729 on unemployed relief works (£414,921 on wages) which must equate to a fortune these days!

1920's, - a post war recovery program, an economic recession (does anything every change for the better) with at the end of the decade the Wall street crash, a general strike in 1926.

All of these must have contributed to Government departments at the time wanting to spend money to get the country out of a problem. At least we didn't have hyperinflation like several European countries did in the 1920's, - most notably Germany.

Like I said, compared with today and the policies used to get Britain out of the current reccession, - nothing seems to have changed :(