Odd House

Guest Jeremy

Have maps, will overlay...

I really apreciate these overlaid maps.

They fix the position of some long lost historical building accurately in its modern location.

I seem to remember in the work house thread which was about the original Hurlfield School at Myrtle Spring we were able to locate the position of this long lost building to within inches.

So accurately that one of our members had part of the building buried under his back gardens and had pictures of excavations which confirmed the buildings position. A brilliant piece of historical detective work.

Now all we need is another member that lives on the Manor Estate at the exact superimposed site of Odd House lol

I really apreciate these overlaid maps.

They fix the position of some long lost historical building accurately in its modern location.

I seem to remember in the work house thread which was about the original Hurlfield School at Myrtle Spring we were able to locate the position of this long lost building to within inches.

So accurately that one of our members had part of the building buried under his back gardens and had pictures of excavations which confirmed the buildings position. A brilliant piece of historical detective work.

Now all we need is another member that lives on the Manor Estate at the exact superimposed site of Odd House lol

Thanks Dave, I enjoy making the overlays. I'm not sure if we can locate Odd House to within inches, but I think the people who could help live here, at the junction of Beaumont Road and Normancroft Way:

Thanks Dave, I enjoy making the overlays. I'm not sure if we can locate Odd House to within inches, but I think the people who could help live here, at the junction of Beaumont Road and Normancroft Way:

Newish looking house on the site, - I wonder if they would mind digging their garden up in the interests of historical research? lol

Newish looking house on the site, - I wonder if they would mind digging their garden up in the interests of historical research? lol

Thats your task for this afternoon Dave, go round and ask them lol

Thats your task for this afternoon Dave, go round and ask them lol

What, - on the Manor :o

They would probably tell me in no uncertain terms and very colourful language what I could do before giving me a good thumping.

I may be brave enough to photograph the Manor but I'm not stupid ;-)

On 04/11/2009 at 08:18, dunsbyowl1867 said:

There is, in one of those Sheffield photo books (Possiibly Images or More images of Sheffield) , before & after photos of the land before POW Road was built & after. I'll look at home unless someone else has them

or Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00513

Link restored:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00513&pos=1&action=zoom&id=46277

Newish looking house on the site, - I wonder if they would mind digging their garden up in the interests of historical research?

Little point. The original houses would have damaged the site and the subsequent rebuild even more.  Modern construction methods really clear a site of unstable materials, and the construction of drains and gas and power lines does even more. 

I did hear of some old tree stumps being dug up when they did phase one of Manor Development company, but by the time I found out they had been destroyed.