Walkley Bank Road

Guest Old Skater

Guest Old Skater

hi All.

my first post here so be gentle!

i am trying to find some details about the narrowing of walkley bank road downhill from around the stores road junction.

at some point between 1940 and 1951 the road was narrowed, i have copies of maps from 1951 that show the current status of the road but am struggling to find any details of how it looked before then and how wide it was etc.

can anyone help point me towards any resources

Mini

hi All.

my first post here so be gentle!

i am trying to find some details about the narrowing of walkley bank road downhill from around the stores road junction.

at some point between 1940 and 1951 the road was narrowed, i have copies of maps from 1951 that show the current status of the road but am struggling to find any details of how it looked before then and how wide it was etc.

can anyone help point me towards any resources

Mini

I've been studying the Godfrey Edition reprints of the OS Second Edition (circa 1905) which are available at good booksellers for £2+ each and Walkley Bank Road appears on the Neepsend,Owlerton and Lower Walkley map and continues on the Loxley Valley map. I can't see any major alterations with the 1951 maps except a couple of road widenings and the rounding of the corner by Morley Street which caused the loss of the footpath around the corner on the south side.

Hilldweller.

I've been studying the Godfrey Edition reprints of the OS Second Edition (circa 1905) which are available at good booksellers for £2+ each and Walkley Bank Road appears on the Neepsend,Owlerton and Lower Walkley map and continues on the Loxley Valley map. I can't see any major alterations with the 1951 maps except a couple of road widenings and the rounding of the corner by Morley Street which caused the loss of the footpath around the corner on the south side.

Hilldweller.

That's strange HD, so have I,

the only reason for narrowing that I can make out

is due to the addition of footpaths and grass verges,

pre: 1952/53.

1950's OS maps #193 & 188

1905 map shows a footpath below where Storrs Hall Road was later built.

1950's map shows footpath removed to widen road.

Streetview in Google maps shows footpath re-instated and road narrowed again.

Does this mean that we are about due to have the footpath removed again ? lol

Guest Old Skater

1905 map shows a footpath below where Storrs Hall Road was later built.

1950's map shows footpath removed to widen road.

Streetview in Google maps shows footpath re-instated and road narrowed again.

Does this mean that we are about due to have the footpath removed again ? lol

The reason i am trying to get info is that according to the land registry/highways dept the front 6foot of the gardens of walkley bank road from the morley street junction up to stores hall road is still classified as a public highway as the front 6foot was once part of the original road, but i have failed to find any indepentant info to support that

The reason i am trying to get info is that according to the land registry/highways dept the front 6foot of the gardens of walkley bank road from the morley street junction up to stores hall road is still classified as a public highway as the front 6foot was once part of the original road, but i have failed to find any indepentant info to support that

Sound like a case for 'adverse possession'!

Guest Old Skater

Sound like a case for 'adverse possession'!

adverse possession refused as front of garden still classified as public highway.

apart from the councils assertion that this is so i cant find anything to back it up.