Upper Hanover St

Stuart0742

Quick simple question, actually 2

When was the inner ring rd dual carriageway built from Ecclesall Rd to Brook Hill roundabout,?

Second question

When was the Arts Tower and part of Sheffield University built over Winter St?

I am trying to put a date to a map, the University buildings are present, but the dual carriageway and Brook Hill roundabout are not

When was the inner ring rd dual carriageway built from Ecclesall Rd to Brook Hill roundabout,?

Second question

I am trying to put a date to a map, the University buildings are present, but the dual carriageway and Brook Hill roundabout are not

Wasn't the University Arts Tower built in 1964 - 1965?

I am sure I have read the answer to the age of the Arts Tower on this site somewhere.

Wasn't the University Arts Tower built in 1964 - 1965?

I am sure I have read the answer to the age of the Arts Tower on this site somewhere.

My Gran lived on Clarence Street and was moved out to make way for the ring road, and that was 66-ish I think.

My Gran lived on Clarence Street and was moved out to make way for the ring road, and that was 66-ish I think.

Mid 1960's.

Fits with the Arts Tower date.

Also fits with the date that a lot of Sheffield's town centre through routes, along with associated pedestrian subways, underpasses, holes in the road, etc. were built.

That was when Sheffield changed from looking like an old industrial City into a very futuristic looking one.

I've often puzzled around this one.

I know that the inner ring road was done in the mid 60's, as has been said, but I distinctly remember the bottom section of Clarence street which was still there in the very late 60's and into the early 70's. It was part of a one way system which was created in about 1970. I think it must have been the triangle made by Clarence Street, Clarence Lane and Moor Street. I can't work out how and where it became the dual carriageway.

Another thing that puzzles me.

I lived on Broomhall Place in '68 - '69 and looking at the OS map the most direct route to the Moor would have been down William Street onto Ecclesall Rd. Funny that I remember walking down the bottom bit of Clarence Street to get to town.

(Tried to attach a bit of map but it won't upload at the moment.)

Didn't this whole area we are talking about here once have a very bad reputation for prostitution? :unsure:

If so, building a fast dual carriageway through it would reduce the incidences of kerb crawling ;-)

Didn't this whole area we are talking about here once have a very bad reputation for prostitution? :unsure:

If so, building a fast dual carriageway through it would reduce the incidences of kerb crawling ;-)

That was after the ring road was built, in the part of Broomhall to the south of the ring road. My wife was a teacher at the nursery, and the 'ladies' were around all day. I worked in the city centre so we used to drive in to school together and I'd walk from there to town, and was frequently accosted on the way!

That was after the ring road was built, in the part of Broomhall to the south of the ring road. My wife was a teacher at the nursery, and the 'ladies' were around all day. I worked in the city centre so we used to drive in to school together and I'd walk from there to town, and was frequently accosted on the way!

Havelock Square, Brunswick Street, Filey Street and the neighbouring streets was the "red light district" in the 60's and onwards (probably before the 60's as well I suppose). Much of that part of part of Broomhall is now student housing.

I lived in a bed-sit on Broomhall Place which, at the time in the late 60's, was quite a pleasant street. (although very run down) The general area was an odd mix of big expensive houses and run down bedsit-land stuff as well as family terrace property.

As a consequence of the crack down on kerb-crawling, the whole area has become a nightmare to drive through. They've literally cut the area in half and made one way in and one way out of each part. I work around there regularly and sometimes it's a five minute drive from one address to another that is just a couple of hundred yards away. For instance to get from Brunswick Street to Clarke Street - the width of a pavement - you have to go all the way round Collegiate Crescent down onto Ecclesall Road then down to William Street and up across Broomhall Street. Getting back is even worse.

Seems like no matter from where to where it's a long journey.

Havelock Square, Brunswick Street, Filey Street and the neighbouring streets was the "red light district" in the 60's and onwards (probably before the 60's as well I suppose). Much of that part of part of Broomhall is now student housing.

I lived in a bed-sit on Broomhall Place which, at the time in the late 60's, was quite a pleasant street. (although very run down) The general area was an odd mix of big expensive houses and run down bedsit-land stuff as well as family terrace property.

As a consequence of the crack down on kerb-crawling, the whole area has become a nightmare to drive through. They've literally cut the area in half and made one way in and one way out of each part. I work around there regularly and sometimes it's a five minute drive from one address to another that is just a couple of hundred yards away. For instance to get from Brunswick Street to Clarke Street - the width of a pavement - you have to go all the way round Collegiate Crescent down onto Ecclesall Road then down to William Street and up across Broomhall Street. Getting back is even worse.

Seems like no matter from where to where it's a long journey.

So my idea that it would cut down on prostitution was OK then, but unfortunately it had the, probably forseeable, drawback that it makes life and moving around the area awkward for everyone else,- all the normal law abiding residents

I'd walk from there to town, and was frequently accosted on the way!

Doesn't sound like a very nice or safe place for a normal, married law abiding man. No wonder they wanted to stop it!

Where was it in Sheffield that the Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe) was arrested?

Was it in this area?

Doesn't sound like a very nice or safe place for a normal, married law abiding man. No wonder they wanted to stop it!

Where was it in Sheffield that the Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe) was arrested?

Was it in this area?

About half a mile away I'd guess.

Melbourne Avenue (Through the Gates) off Glossop Road.

Google Streetview

About half a mile away I'd guess.

Melbourne Avenue (Through the Gates) off Glossop Road.

Google Streetview

Thanks vox,

I thought it was more in the area currently under discussion, mainly due to its reputation and what Sutcliffe was up to at the time, but obviously not then.

Second question

I bought a map sometime in the sixties, it has 5/- on the front but no date.

I have A to Z books from the past too, again with no date on.

This section is from my 5/- map, there's no duel carriageway or Brook Hill roundabout on it but would love to

know the year. What I always knew as Winter Street hospital has City Hospital on it.

I bought a map sometime in the sixties, it has 5/- on the front but no date.

I have A to Z books from the past too, again with no date on.

This section is from my 5/- map, there's no duel carriageway or Brook Hill roundabout on it but would love to

know the year. What I always knew as Winter Street hospital has City Hospital on it.

Well it's got the Central Library on it, which was opened in 1934, and also St Paul's which was closed in 1937 and demolished, so that would put the map in the mid 1930's I think?

Well it's got the Central Library on it, which was opened in 1934, and also St Paul's which was closed in 1937 and demolished, so that would put the map in the mid 1930's I think?

It also has my grandads old house on Daisy Walk and the house where I was born on Wentworth Street on it.

Both of these were demolished in the inner City slum clearance in the late 1950's, see it must predate that.

I always thought the map was from the early sixies , after all it's in colour.

I can't believe it could be that old. Is the church at the side of the Town Hall

St Pauls?

What about the bus station, isn't this the one that was built in 1955/6?

Oh why don't they date maps. :angry:

Oh why don't they date maps. :angry:

Now it is totally different with road maps of the entire country like those produced by the AA (for example).

They will clearly say on the front cover of the book of maps (usually the whole country at 3 or 4 miles to the inch), for exmple

AA ROAD MAP 2010

It will cost about £10

They do this (no fooling me) so that in a mere 12 months time they can pretend that the entire set of maps is obsolete and out of date and bring out another, almost identical book called, for example

AA ROAD MAP 2011

Then try to charge you another £10 for it :angry:

I know why they do this.

In these days of "sat nav" and with most people having GCSE geography still totally incapable of reading a road map the days of being able to sell a map of this type to motorists must now be numbered.

Now it is totally different with road maps of the entire country like those produced by the AA (for example).

They will clearly say on the front cover of the book of maps (usually the whole country at 3 or 4 miles to the inch), for exmple

AA ROAD MAP 2010

It will cost about £10

They do this (no fooling me) so that in a mere 12 months time they can pretend that the entire set of maps is obsolete and out of date and bring out another, almost identical book called, for example

AA ROAD MAP 2011

Then try to charge you another £10 for it :angry:

I know why they do this.

In these days of "sat nav" and with most people having GCSE geography still totally incapable of reading a road map the days of being able to sell a map of this type to motorists must now be numbered.

I prefer the "reverse Ronnie Corbett approach", drive, keep turning left, in ever increasing circles until you reach your destination = or was it Kendall ? Not Kenneth Kendall, I know that much ....

I prefer the "reverse Ronnie Corbett approach", drive, keep turning left, in ever increasing circles until you reach your destination = or was it Kendall ? Not Kenneth Kendall, I know that much ....

Kendal?

So by following your directions we always end up in the same town in the lake district where it never stops raining while you eat a piece of mint cake :blink:

Kendal?

So by following your directions we always end up in the same town in the lake district where it never stops raining while you eat a piece of mint cake :blink:

Felicity Kendall Cake-town, it's a plan ...

Felicity Kendall Cake-town, it's a plan ...

Somehow by mentioning Kendal in the lake district I thought that it would prompt a response from madannie rather than Richard.

Kendal is in the north west Richard, you are in the north east! lol

Somehow by mentioning Kendal in the lake district I thought that it would prompt a response from madannie rather than Richard.

Kendal is in the north west Richard, you are in the north east! lol

I would have responded with some mint cake comment, but Richard got there first - I was probably too busy matching up then and now photos of trams.

Kendal: famous for shoes, snuff, Wainwright and mint cake. A nice "auld grey" town, surprisingly far from Carlisle (no, not surprisingly - everywhere is far from Carlisle, except Scotland).

Nothing to do with Upper Hanover Street, however lol