The Sanctuary Pub St James Row - Sheffield

Guest MEV

Hello. I am a paranormal investigator and I have been trying to find out as much as I can about this place and have had no success at all. Short of going to the archives I was wondering if anyone had any idea about the history on this place?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hello. I am a paranormal investigator and I have been trying to find out as much as I can about this place and have had no success at all. Short of going to the archives I was wondering if anyone had any idea about the history on this place?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Previously called The Priory I think

Thank you for that. I have done a google search for it but nothing showed up :( I am sure when we get there the owners will have there stories to tell us of the place but I like to know things about a place before I go there.

I am wondering if it was once used (as most bulding sin the area were) as a lawyers or some kind of legal business headquarters? If not then maybe another library? The style of it stands out from the surrounding area.

Thank you for that. I have done a google search for it but nothing showed up :( I am sure when we get there the owners will have there stories to tell us of the place but I like to know things about a place before I go there.

I am wondering if it was once used (as most bulding sin the area were) as a lawyers or some kind of legal business headquarters? If not then maybe another library? The style of it stands out from the surrounding area.

Looks more like an ex church/chapel to me

Link to OS map #02

Interestingly on the OS map its called St James St and on the modern Google map its St James Row

My 1981 A - Z calls is St James Row

When did it change

I was about to correct myself saying looked like a chapel - I have a book Haunted Sheffield and i THINK a sotry in there about an old chapel maybe the Sanctury, im trying to clarify this but.....little luck so far.

Thanx for the OS map as well, i also been trying to trace back if the road has always been called St James' Row.

I was about to correct myself saying looked like a chapel - I have a book Haunted Sheffield and i THINK a sotry in there about an old chapel maybe the Sanctury, im trying to clarify this but.....little luck so far.

Thanx for the OS map as well, i also been trying to trace back if the road has always been called St James' Row.

On the 1921 OS map its marked as "Inst" which I take it means Institute

The 1903 OS gives no indication of use.

Interestingly on the OS map its called St James St and on the modern Google map its St James Row

My 1981 A - Z calls is St James Row

When did it change

St James Row was previously called "Virgins Walk".

ST. James Street

from {St. James row.)

1 Gladstone Buildings Co. Ltd.;

J. C. Skinner, sec

1 Sheffield Liberal Federation;

Miss E. Maud Maxfield, sec

1 Richmond B

Vulcan chambers—

Irons William J.P. solicitor

19 Cairns chambers—

19 Hill k Co,stock & share brokrs

19 Short Septimus &Co.accountnts

19 Webster J. B. & Son, architcta

19 Paterson Hy. Leslie F.R.I.B.A. architect.

19 Hadfield & Cawkwell, arehitcts|

19 Thompson Alfred, caretaker

----------

to (Vicar Lane)

-----------

from (St. James Row)

2 Eadon & Lockwood F.A.I. auctioneers

SHEFFIELD DIOCESAN CHURCH

HOUSE J Rev. J. Crowther

Makinson M.A. & H. H.Pawson,

hon. secs, Thomas C.

Ford, caretaker

Diocesan Trust & Board of

Finance; Rev. J . C. Makinson

M.A. organising secretary

8 Fowler, Sandford & Potter,

land agents &c

1925 Kelly's directory

Thank you all so much for the information, I have managed to trace it back to 1750's so far when it was used as a charity school for girls by the parish of St James of Wesminister, hence maybe where the road got its name from?

Thank you all so much for the information, I have managed to trace it back to 1750's so far when it was used as a charity school for girls by the parish of St James of Wesminister, hence maybe where the road got its name from?

According to Peter Harvey's Streetnames book, St James St. was named after St James Church which stood in Townhead Street (Presumably the other church in this map. ?) and was at the head of St James Street. It was built in 1879 and badly damaged in the Sheffield blitz, and the ruins cleared in 1950. It was dedicated to St.James as a compliment to the Rev. James Wilkinson, former Vicar of Sheffield. St James Row was originally called Virgin's Walk as Richard said. It later became West Parade to match East Parade at the other end of the Cathedral, then finally became St James Row.

The Sanctuary in St James St. was originally built in 1860 as the Church of England Educational Institute,which was founded in 1839 for the education of young working adults.

The Girls Charity School was built in 1786 and stands in St James Row facing the churchyard (on the pedestrian section) . It is now offices.St James Row runs from Church ST down the side of the Cathedral, crosses the end of St James Street, and is then pedestrians only down to Campo Lane.

The pub is, it seems, named to reflect the building's past.

I'd hazard a guess that the owners know quite a bit about the place. Maybe you can get them to share it with us if they do MEV.