Ferodo Bridge

tdh-syorks

The Ferrodo Railway Bridge which crosses brightside lane was taken down and scrapped on Saturday in a 1.5 million pound investment by network rail as the bridge was deemed unsafe. The origional cast and riveted bridge was instantly replaced with a new bridge.

Does anyone know how long the origional bridge had stood there? My guess is around 107 years but is it possible it could be older??

Cheers Tom

The Ferrodo Railway Bridge which crosses brightside lane was taken down and scrapped on Saturday in a 1.5 million pound investment by network rail as the bridge was deemed unsafe. The origional cast and riveted bridge was instantly replaced with a new bridge.

Does anyone know how long the origional bridge had stood there? My guess is around 107 years but is it possible it could be older??

Cheers Tom

In 1896 the Duke of Norfolk sold to the Sheffield & District Railway to build a facilaties along with the proposed ship canal to Goole.

This scheme was abandoned, Attercliffe goods Station was built on land on Stevenson Rd, and opened in 1900

This short spur left the Midland Line near Grimesthorpe junction, and crossed Brightside ln by what has become known as "Ferrodo Bridge"

Today it is just a siding into a scrap yard.

Courtesy Google SV

Yep, that's the one, most probably burnt up now and weighed in.

Thanks I wasn't sure on the date of that bridge. It must have gone up along with the ones on Newhall Road and Upwell Street. Does anyone know who made the bridges, I'm sure the one on Newhall Road has a date plaque on, maybe it states the manufacturer too.

Do I have the right bridge?

I thought it was this one that actually says Ferodo on it.

Picture from my 1974 set, probably posted before somewhere on here.

Yep, that's the one, most probably burnt up now and weighed in.

Thanks I wasn't sure on the date of that bridge. It must have gone up along with the ones on Newhall Road and Upwell Street. Does anyone know who made the bridges, I'm sure the one on Newhall Road has a date plaque on, maybe it states the manufacturer too.

I'm surprised so much has been spent on the bridge given its current use

Comparing the Google SV I posted and the one Steve posted, it shows well how trees and bushes soon take over when maintenance is stopped .(Think I may have mentioned this before, one of my soapbox subjects)

I'm surprised so much has been spent on the bridge given its current use

Comparing the Google SV I posted and the one Steve posted, it shows well how trees and bushes soon take over when maintenance is stopped .(Think I may have mentioned this before, one of my soapbox subjects)

No trees and bushes in my 70's picture. ;-)

That's when Attercliffe was a centre of the steel industry and not just an overgrown forrest!

This short spur left the Midland Line near Grimesthorpe junction, and crossed Brightside ln by what has become known as "Ferrodo Bridge"

So why did they name the bridge after a load of old brake pads? :unsure:

If the bridge has been "deemed unsafe" (post #1) what does this say about Ferrodo brake pads? :o<_<

Today it is just a siding into a scrap yard.

...and a scrap yard is usually the place a vehicle with "deemed unsafe" brake pads usually ends up lol

So why did they name the bridge after a load of old brake pads? :unsure:

If the bridge has been "deemed unsafe" (post #1) what does this say about Ferrodo brake pads? :o<_<

...and a scrap yard is usually the place a vehicle with "deemed unsafe" brake pads usually ends up lol

Haha, I wonder how many accidents were caused by people too busy reading the Ferrodo ad and forgetting to use their brakes,

I thought it was this one that actually says Ferodo on it.

Picture from my 1974 set, probably posted before somewhere on here.

So did I Dave. That's what I always thought of as Ferodo Bridge.

If I was wrong, there will be a lot of people still trying to follow my directions which included something like "----- then go under Ferodo Bridge and take the -----"

Will the "real" Ferodo Bridge please stand up !

My guess would be that the one on Attercliffe Rd was the real one until it was "done up".

They probably decided they didn't want to cover the cast work up by replacing the advert.

Ferodo then probably claimed the other one instead.

So did I Dave. That's what I always thought of as Ferodo Bridge.

If I was wrong, there will be a lot of people still trying to follow my directions which included something like "----- then go under Ferodo Bridge and take the -----"

Will the "real" Ferodo Bridge please stand up !

My guess would be that the one on Attercliffe Rd was the real one until it was "done up".

They probably decided they didn't want to cover the cast work up by replacing the advert.

Ferodo then probably claimed the other one instead.

In more recent years the only bridge to keep the Ferrodo advertising is the one across Brightside Lane.

Norfolk Bridge lost its "Ferrodo" many years ago

I think its all in the name, Tom actually agrees its the Brightside Lane Bridge

In more recent years the only bridge to keep the Ferrodo advertising is the one across Brightside Lane.

Norfolk Bridge lost its "Ferrodo" many years ago

I think its all in the name, Tom actually agrees its the Brightside Lane Bridge

So I would be better following directions given by vox rather than from you or Tom.

To me and vox the "Ferrodo bridge" is the other one!

Probably just our age! lol

By the way is it Ferodo or Ferrodo? One R or two?

Pictures all show it with 1 R (FERODO)

But I have always spelt it with 2.

Then again, there was NEVER an accent on the final E in NESTLE until the continentals got hold of it was there?

The Milky Bar Kid always called it Nestles Milky Bar, not a Nest-Lays Milky Bar!

Topic title changed to Ferodo,

well spotted Dave.

Yes it's best to have it spelt correctly in the title so that anyone looking through the home page knows what to expect.

Even if, once you get into the posts, there is some uncertainty about the spelling of Ferodo / Ferrodo :unsure:

..and even more uncertainty about which bridge it actually is! <_<

So I would be better following directions given by vox rather than from you or Tom.

Then again, there was NEVER an accent on the final E in NESTLE until the continentals got hold of it was there?

The Milky Bar Kid always called it Nestles Milky Bar, not a Nest-Lays Milky Bar!

Nestle was always in the hands of the continentals as it is, and always has been, a Swiss company. Having worked for Nestle for a time recently I can vouch for the fact that the manufacturing and packing floor workers all called it Nestles, whereas the non-local management used the Nest-lay pronunciation.

I have a feeling that the Milk Bar wrapper always had the accent over the final e, but of course no-one ever used it when I was young (except language teachers)

Yes sorry it is my mistake :rolleyes: , its correctly spelt Ferodo. I do have another question for you all aswell :o :o .

Can any of you remember what the bridge on the other end of Brightside Lane advertised?? The bridge at the end of Weedon Street and Colliery Road.

To be honest I never called either bridge Ferodo Bridge, Norfolk Bridge was Norfolk Bridge, the other one (the one in question was just a bridge on Brightside Ln.

Yes sorry it is my mistake :rolleyes: , its correctly spelt Ferodo. I do have another question for you all aswell :o :o .

Can any of you remember what the bridge on the other end of Brightside Lane advertised?? The bridge at the end of Weedon Street and Colliery Road.

You mean this one ?

Nestle was always in the hands of the continentals as it is, and always has been, a Swiss company. Having worked for Nestle for a time recently I can vouch for the fact that the manufacturing and packing floor workers all called it Nestles, whereas the non-local management used the Nest-lay pronunciation.

I have a feeling that the Milk Bar wrapper always had the accent over the final e, but of course no-one ever used it when I was young (except language teachers)

The original b/w adverts for Milky Bar were pronounce Nestles, however in 1991 they did a 30th anniversary special of the 1st ad with the jingle amended to Nest-Lay

The original b/w adverts for Milky Bar were pronounce Nestles, however in 1991 they did a 30th anniversary special of the 1st ad with the jingle amended to Nest-Lay

I recall the adverts' pronunciation: it used to puzzle me at first that my French teacher used to insist it was Nest-lay. If that was so, my reasoning went, why did the adverts use "our" version?

I used to visit Germany a lot in the 1990s , all to do with packaging.

On one occasion there were some sort of celebration where the Swiss

brought the biggest Toblerone ever, it must have been at least 20 foot

long and I've forgot the weight .

The name Nestles came up in conversation and we were told by

the Swiss that they always call it Nestles not Nestlay.

It must have been the French that hi-jacked it.

Sounds reasonable to blame the French :)

When I worked for Nestle a few years back (2006-2008) all the corporate HQ people who visited the site where I worked called it Nest-lay, regardless of where they originated. Still sounds wrong to me, though.

Ah, the trouble with the Swiss is, there are different versions mainly French, German and Italian (Romansh is a 4th)

Were your Swiss, German speaking, perhaps this could be the answer

Ah, the trouble with the Swiss is, there are different versions mainly French, German and Italian (Romansh is a 4th)

Were your Swiss, German speaking, perhaps this could be the answer

No they were Swiss company directors visiting Germany as guests like we were.

They told us they couldn't understand why the rest of the world were now saying

Nestlay.