Wednesday V Chelsea

Stuart0742

Did Wednesday play Chelsea at Hillsboro on Saturday 30th August 1986

Thats quite simple I think

They certainly did: won 2-0 with goals from Chamberlain & Gregory, attendance 25,853

Was that the last time we won ? he he (Speaking as a Blue and White)

They certainly did: won 2-0 with goals from Chamberlain & Gregory, attendance 25,853

Thanks MA

Now why is a bloke like you, who, like me, doesn't particularly like football, asking a question like that? :unsure:

Methinks you're up to something Stuart :rolleyes:

Now why is a bloke like you, who, like me, doesn't particularly like football, asking a question like that? :unsure:

Methinks you're up to something Stuart :rolleyes:

You are correct in thinking that I have little interest in football

I have this photo of a train taken at Chesterfield on 30/08/86, I seem to remember it was a Chelsea football excursion and perhaps it was en-route to Hillsboro from London.

given the state of my memory, I thought I would double check

I have this photo of a train taken at Chesterfield on 30/08/86, I seem to remember it was a Chelsea football excursion and perhaps it was en-route to Hillsboro from London.

Well it was 24 years ago!

Just a thought - it could have been heading for Bramall Lane - were they in the same league then? Or was Wenesday v Chelsea a second division match? :)

Just a thought - it could have been heading for Bramall Lane - were they in the same league then? Or was Wenesday v Chelsea a second division match? :)

I know the date was correct , its written on the negative envelope (bit unusual for me, being organised in those days)

We know Wednesday played Chelsea on that day, the train was taking the "Old Road" at Chesterfield gain access to the old LNER line at Beighton to end up at Wadsley Bridge. In those days they still used Wadsley Bridge for Football Excursions

Wednesday v Chelsea on 30th August 1986 was a Division One match (that's the proper Division One, not the ludicrously named Division One that Wednesday are in now). It was United who were in Division Two that season.

Great shot Stuart: do you know what the loco number was.?

Wednesday v Chelsea on 30th August 1986 was a Division One match (that's the proper Division One, not the ludicrously named Division One that Wednesday are in now). It was United who were in Division Two that season.

Great shot Stuart: do you know what the loco number was.?

Still working on that, somewhere I have the info, but where I am not sure, its all in a little notebook somewhere.

I know the date was correct , its written on the negative envelope (bit unusual for me, being organised in those days)

We know Wednesday played Chelsea on that day, the train was taking the "Old Road" at Chesterfield gain access to the old LNER line at Beighton to end up at Wadsley Bridge. In those days they still used Wadsley Bridge for Football Excursions

Reminds me of the old joke that when the Chelsea supporters got of that train one of them asked a local for directions to the ground. "Just folla crowd lad and thall find it" they followed his advice and ended up in Fred Hartleys lol

Reminds me of the old joke that when the Chelsea supporters got of that train one of them asked a local for directions to the ground. "Just folla crowd lad and thall find it" they followed his advice and ended up in Fred Hartleys lol

How times have changed.

These days if you were told to "just follow the crowds" at Hillsborough on a Saturday afternoon you would end up on the Supertram to Meadowhall lol

How times have changed.

These days if you were told to "just follow the crowds" at Hillsborough on a Saturday afternoon you would end up on the Supertram to Meadowhall lol

I remember coming back from the IOM TT races one year, we got off the ferry at Liverpol and had to find the train station. Dad said "Its all reight, we'll just folla't crowd"

On our way through Liverpool the crowd gradually dwindled down and down until eventually we were following 5 blokes who walked into a car park, piled in a car and drove away.

Dad was left scratching his head.

I remember coming back from the IOM TT races one year, we got off the ferry at Liverpol and had to find the train station. Dad said "Its all reight, we'll just folla't crowd"

On our way through Liverpool the crowd gradually dwindled down and down until eventually we were following 5 blokes who walked into a car park, piled in a car and drove away.

Liverpool is a bit like Sheffield and Hull in that the main transport interchanges are very close together.

In Sheffield you can see Midland Station, Sheaf Street, from Pond Street bus Interchange.

In Hull as you walk out of Paragon Railway Station you are straight into Fernsway bus station.

Likewise in Liverpool, I think Lime Street does it all.

A bit like some Sheffield blokes I know who regularly go fishing.

On this occasion the one doing the driving on the way home was the worlds worst navigator and couldn't find his way to the bottom of his own street without getting lost.

His mates got fed up of him constantly asking "which way now?" so when one spotted a Sheffield Corporation dustbin wagon (that dates it a bit doesn't it :mellow: ) he said "just follow the bin van, it's going back to Sheffield"

So he followed it, - all the way back into the bin yard !

Liverpool is a bit like Sheffield and Hull in that the main transport interchanges are very close together.

In Sheffield you can see Midland Station, Sheaf Street, from Pond Street bus Interchange.

In Hull as you walk out of Paragon Railway Station you are straight into Fernsway bus station.

Likewise in Liverpool, I think Lime Street does it all.

Including the ferry? Surely Dad wasn't that thick.

No the ferry stops it Pier Head, near those 3 iconic Merseyside buildings

That includes the Steam Packet Company ferry to the Isle of Man you and your dad would have used for the TT Races.

But "the ferry" is the normal one which just crosses the Mersey to Birkenhead.

To get to Birkenhead you can drive through one of the 2 Mersey Tunnels (Kingsway and Queensway)

But the Ferry is better as you get to listen to that Gerry & the Pacemakers record, "Ferry across the Mersey" which has been played endlessly on the Mersey Ferry since it first came out in 1964. lol

The Pier Head in Liverpool is a good distance form Lime Street Station, as I found out the hard way some years ago when heading for the Sea Cat service to Dublin. The signage wasn't very good either, but in my usual manner I had allowed more than enough time to make the boat connection so I was not too worried, just a bit tired!

The Pier Head also used to have a very busy Bus Station from where you could get a bus to Lime Street, but that has gone now :( .

The Pier Head also used to have a very busy Bus Station from where you could get a bus to Lime Street, but that has gone now :( .

So has the "Last tram to Lime Street" to quote the title of a well known Liverpudlian play.

I think that happened in 1959.

So has the "Last tram to Lime Street" to quote the title of a well known Liverpudlian play.

I think that happened in 1959.

14th September 1957 was the last day of the Liverpool trams, the last two routes both running from Pier Head, and one of them ran through Knotty Ash (can't think why that sticks in my mind).

14th September 1957 was the last day of the Liverpool trams, the last two routes both running from Pier Head, and one of them ran through Knotty Ash (can't think why that sticks in my mind).

OK, my guess wasn't too far out.

I knew it was in the 1950's and not that long before Sheffield had its last tram in 1960

Still working on that, somewhere I have the info, but where I am not sure, its all in a little notebook somewhere.

MA

found one of my notebooks

Loco is 45 141 (D82)

MA

found one of my notebooks

Loco is 45 141 (D82)

Thanks for that, Stuart: 45 141 was one of the Class 45s unofficially named at Tinsley (Zephyr, in this case), but it appears not to be carrying the name in this picture.

Thanks for that, Stuart: 45 141 was one of the Class 45s unofficially named at Tinsley (Zephyr, in this case), but it appears not to be carrying the name in this picture.

I may have some more photo's somewhere of "Zephyr".