Can Anyone Answer This One?

Guest Decky Doris

Guest Decky Doris

Hi, I was very impressed with the responses, last week, regarding my family history. This one may be a challenge. Apparently, my Great Grandfather, George Firby, used to play football for either Sheffield Wednesday or United. I emailed both but never heard back from them!! George was born in Bedale in 1889. By the 1911 census, he had moved to Sheffield, lodging at 145 Graham Road. For some reason, when George died, his wife threw away all his stuff, so no one knows which club he was with. If anyone can help on this one, I would be dead chuffed. Thanks.

Hi, I was very impressed with the responses, last week, regarding my family history. This one may be a challenge. Apparently, my Great Grandfather, George Firby, used to play football for either Sheffield Wednesday or United. I emailed both but never heard back from them!! George was born in Bedale in 1889. By the 1911 census, he had moved to Sheffield, lodging at 145 Graham Road. For some reason, when George died, his wife threw away all his stuff, so no one knows which club he was with. If anyone can help on this one, I would be dead chuffed. Thanks.

There was a website

www.allfootballers.com but it does not seem to be working, don't know if that is permanent or what

There is the national football museum in Manchester

http://www.nationalf...m.com/index.htm

They have a research page

http://www.nationalf...milyhistory.htm

but they refer you to allfootballers.com, they do mention a couple of books

There was a website

www.allfootballers.com but it does not seem to be working, don't know if that is permanent or what

Is one of these links the site where you once got me the information about my grandfather who used to play for Rotherham United and Bradford in the 1920's?

Is one of these links the site where you once got me the information about my grandfather who used to play for Rotherham United and Bradford in the 1920's?

Thats what reminded me.

Although the National Football museum used to be in Preston

Thats what reminded me.

Although the National Football museum used to be in Preston

If the football museum was in Preston was it at the north end? lol

I thought the site you got my grandads info from was more of a forum set up as it seemed to be one guy who was a bit of a football expert running it and I seem to remember he sent us a personal reply to your enquiry.

It was good service and he certainly knew his stuff.

Perhaps the same guy could be of some help in solving this enquiry in the present topic.

Making no claims for this, for your infirmation only.

George FIRBY, Nurseryman of Springwell Nurseries, Southey Green Road, Wadsley Bridge (Kelly's 1925)

If the football museum was in Preston was it at the north end? lol

I thought the site you got my grandads info from was more of a forum set up as it seemed to be one guy who was a bit of a football expert running it and I seem to remember he sent us a personal reply to your enquiry.

It was good service and he certainly knew his stuff.

Perhaps the same guy could be of some help in solving this enquiry in the present topic.

Thats the problem, remembering all these sites

There was a website

Book mention on website on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Football-League-Players-Records-1888-1939-Joyce-Hardb-/130415341970?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item1e5d5c3192

Thats the problem, remembering all these sites

Copied this from an archived copy of the original email if it is any help

Stuart

----- Original Message -----

To: <ENG-SHEFFIELD-L@rootsweb.com>

Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 12:02 AM

Subject: Re: [sHEFF] Football - Ernest Higginbottom

Copied this from an archived copy of the original email if it is any help

Stuart

----- Original Message -----

To: <ENG-SHEFFIELD-L@rootsweb.com>

Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 12:02 AM

Subject: Re: [sHEFF] Football - Ernest Higginbottom

Yes thats the guy, I remember now.

Could be worth giving this guy a try, with a bit of luck he may be using the same email address.

Guest Decky Doris

George FIRBY, Nurseryman of Springwell Nurseries, Southey Green Road, Wadsley Bridge (Kelly's 1925)

That is my George Firby, I didn't have that address though....... every little helps as THEY say................

That is my George Firby, I didn't have that address though....... every little helps as THEY say................

Happy to help.

Guest Decky Doris

I knew of the Springwell Nursery but not Southey Green Road. So, I've just looked for Southy Green Road on Sheffield pictures and YES, that is my Great Grandad George, his wife Lillian Ethel nee Rolley and their daughter, my Grandmother, Mary. WOW!!!!! Thats brilliant. I have several photos of that same bungalow in my Grans old album. My Dad is gonna be so Chuffed when I show him this. Thanks for the clues to that one.

Guest Decky Doris

Springwell Nursery belonging to George Firby,

Southey Green Road ... picturesheffield

And another .. picturesheffield

No dates given

My Gran, Mary Firby, was born in 1920. Going by my Grans old photos, I reckon that this one would be early to mid 1930s.

I knew of the Springwell Nursery but not Southey Green Road. So, I've just looked for Southy Green Road on Sheffield pictures and YES, that is my Great Grandad George, his wife Lillian Ethel nee Rolley and their daughter, my Grandmother, Mary. WOW!!!!! Thats brilliant. I have several photos of that same bungalow in my Grans old album. My Dad is gonna be so Chuffed when I show him this. Thanks for the clues to that one.

Never be afraid to look stupid posting up any kind of answer is my motto - never know where it might lead in the right hands, Steve's in this case, and yours, of course, Firby being a rare name it was worth a shot, now if he was called Smith ...

His name does not feature in Keith Farnsworth's list of Wednesday players in "Wednesday - the Complete Record"

His name does not feature in Keith Farnsworth's list of Wednesday players in "Wednesday - the Complete Record"

There is an online list of Wednesday players - he's not on that either; maybe "played for the other side"

Guest Decky Doris

There is an online list of Wednesday players - he's not on that either; maybe "played for the other side"

Its not looking too promising at the moment then. Perhaps George was a blagger........!!!!!!! One will keep looking for now though.

Its not looking too promising at the moment then. Perhaps George was a blagger........!!!!!!! One will keep looking for now though.

United, I couldn't tell you anything about - could have been a trialist, not a full player for either side. Maybe one of "The Cutlers" fans can help, "The Blades" being Wednesdays original nickname ...