Knife Cutlers

Guest spring knife

Guest spring knife

hi i'm new on here, treat me nice :)

i started looking back at my ancestry a couple of years back (though i'm not up to date) and it seems that my family were a bunch of Knife Cutlers and Hafters.

in the 1871 census they are listed: William and Elizabeth Martin (sons Walter and Edward) at the old parish of Ecclesall Bierlow, and lived on Hereford Lane, and formerly Forge Lane.

Sadly i have no more detail than that, like who they worked for, and i got stuck trying to get further back.

Funny, in the late 1980's i went to Psalter Lane College (Sheff Poly) to study as a SilverSmith with no knowledge of my great, great grandparents occupation.

It must be in the blood!

hi i'm new on here, treat me nice :)

i started looking back at my ancestry a couple of years back (though i'm not up to date) and it seems that my family were a bunch of Knife Cutlers and Hafters.

in the 1871 census they are listed: William and Elizabeth Martin (sons Walter and Edward) at the old parish of Ecclesall Bierlow, and lived on Hereford Lane, and formerly Forge Lane.

Sadly i have no more detail than that, like who they worked for, and i got stuck trying to get further back.

Funny, in the late 1980's i went to Psalter Lane College (Sheff Poly) to study as a SilverSmith with no knowledge of my great, great grandparents occupation.

It must be in the blood!

HI Spring Knife, and welcome to the forum! We treat everyone nice round here, hang on and one of our experts (knowalls?) will be along shortly to help.

Guest spring knife

HI Spring Knife, and welcome to the forum! We treat everyone nice round here, hang on and one of our experts (knowalls?) will be along shortly to help.

thanks!

:)

Guest spring knife

Does anyone know where Dreadnought Tools were during the 1960s?

hi, i found this

J.H Swift and Sons Ltd, Hammer and Toll Manufacturers Dreadnought tool works, Penistone Road, Sheffield. List No. 8 G/4/122 January 1927

on this site:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=139-g&cid=4#4

Thanks sk, steve & vox . A black & white film I have been looking at shows

the workers coming out of the gate, I thought it looked like Rutland Road

but now I know, thanks again.