Pond Street Panoramic View

Guest daverad

Guest daverad

just found this wich i thought i would share with you all, can anybody tell me the year it was taken?

just found this wich i thought i would share with you all, can anybody tell me the year it was taken?

That's a good photograph daverad !

I will have a guess at 1973,

just to find out how many years out I am.

I would think it is the mid 1980s: probably 1986 or 1987. All the buses (except 2) are in South Yorkshire Transport liveries, some in the revised brown, red and cream livery introduced just prior to bus deregulation in 1986. At the very top left of the photo is one of the second batch of bendi-buses which were delivered in 1985, and the appearance of the Fastline liveried Dennis Dominator on the right (the uppermost bus visible on the right) suggests 1986 or 1987, when these buses were delivered (can't remember precisely).

I would think it is the mid 1980s: probably 1986 or 1987.

Well MA,

that's made a fool of me (over 10 years out),

and I used Pond St on a regular basis

from the early 70's through to the late 80's.

:(

Think this was 1987

I think you are probably right, for the same reasons as I gave for the first picture: the 1985 built bendy-bus and the buses in the post-deregulation SYT livery. I would think certainly late 1986 or 1987.

Nice to see another view of the threepenny bit kiosk :)

Nice to see another view of the threepenny bit kiosk :)

Sure is madannie,

..and nice to know that it was still there in 1987.

Pity that the "pressy buttony lighty up thingy" as Richard calls it (The you are here map) is not visible as it would either have gone by then or be hidden from view in this picture as it was on that Pond Hill rise bit.

Sure is madannie,

..and nice to know that it was still there in 1987.

Pity that the "pressy buttony lighty up thingy" as Richard calls it (The you are here map) is not visible as it would either have gone by then or be hidden from view in this picture as it was on that Pond Hill rise bit.

just realised you can see "Scoop" on the walkway on Flat street! wasnt that the shop where you could but in bulk from the big bins of dry food?

A "Pond Street Panorama" I did this weekend by joining 6 overlapping pictures together.

As this incolves swinging the camera around and changing the viewpoint it has the disadvantage of making a straight section of road appear curved.

But the field of view is 180 degrees so it does give the effect of the road approaching at one end, passing in the middle, and receeding at the other end.

An interesting photographic as I don't go to Pond Street very often these days.

A "Pond Street Panorama" I did this weekend by joining 6 overlapping pictures together.

As this incolves swinging the camera around and changing the viewpoint it has the disadvantage of making a straight section of road appear curved.

But the field of view is 180 degrees so it does give the effect of the road approaching at one end, passing in the middle, and receeding at the other end.

An interesting photographic as I don't go to Pond Street very often these days.

A Pond Street "Then & Now" using my earlier 1973 picture (the one with the threepenny bit kiosk) and my current 2011 image.

Guest daverad

A Pond Street "Then & Now" using my earlier 1973 picture (the one with the threepenny bit kiosk) and my current 2011 image.

great pics daveH

Guest transit

...prefer all the hustle and bustle of the old one ! seemed it was the heart of the City back then - the new one just seems almost lifeless and boring !!!

...prefer all the hustle and bustle of the old one ! seemed it was the heart of the City back then - the new one just seems almost lifeless and boring !!!

I couldn't agree with you more transit.

I regularly used the bus before I was old enough to drive and the bus only cost 2p per journey and at that time Pond Street was alive with people doing exactly the same, a busy transport centre.

As I said about my panorama, I don't go down to the "interchange" very often these days but when I did there didn't seem to be a great deal happening.

I much prefered the old one.

here is a shot from March 1990 showing the new interchange being constructed

the bus is 2418 by the way! the scan isnt too clear...

Well, doesn't tempus fugit!

I would never have thought that the old bus station had been gone over 20 years already. :o

Nice view of the old Claywood flats in the background, - now also gone. :(

part of the old bus station was still around in 1996 as this video shows

Nice video clip, Pond street almost as it was.

and from almost the same location on 19th March 1989

Although these 2 pictures are only almost exactly 1 year apart don't they make a great "then & now" comparison of the changes which took place in Pond street at this time.

Guest transit

....great pic again Andy - even though it looks like they'd just demolished the threppenny bit news kiosk , before moving on to the Sheaf Valley Baths :(

....great pic again Andy - even though it looks like they'd just demolished the threppenny bit news kiosk , before moving on to the Sheaf Valley Baths :(

That could give us an approximate date on when the kiosk went as it looks from the picture that it had only recently been removed.

Here's one I posted some time ago.

Guest Evans1604

Drove this....!!!!

Drove this....!!!!

Welcome to Sheffield History Evans1604 and thank you for posting.

If you are a local bus driver I am sure you must know Sheffield very well and should find a lot of material of interest on our site.