Then bought bi Dame Tussard

Any thoughts/more information please ?

When Buonaparte's war-carriage stood

For show i't' Tontine yard

A trophy won an' lost bi blood

Then bought bi Dame Tussard

Any thoughts/more information please ?

From The History of Madam Tussauds

Napoleon's Waterloo carriage—Description of its exterior.

"SOME account must be given of this most interesting relic. Ever since it first came to the Exhibition it has excited the most lively interest, and, until it was covered in by a glazed case, visitors enjoyed the privilege of sitting inside—a proceeding which would not have mattered had not unscrupulous souvenir hunters abused this favour by pilfering portions of the fabric that lined it."

Full article

Edit:

Tontine - by the way.

As I understand, and very loosely, is something to do with joint ownership, so the yard was probably jointly owned by a few different persons.

From The History of Madam Tussauds

Napoleon's Waterloo carriage—Description of its exterior.

"SOME account must be given of this most interesting relic. Ever since it first came to the Exhibition it has excited the most lively interest, and, until it was covered in by a glazed case, visitors enjoyed the privilege of sitting inside—a proceeding which would not have mattered had not unscrupulous souvenir hunters abused this favour by pilfering portions of the fabric that lined it."

Full article

Edit:

Tontine - by the way.

As I understand, and very loosely, is something to do with joint ownership, so the yard was probably jointly owned by a few different persons.

There should be a list (on here somewhere) of the "subscribers" to the tontine; and indeed the last person to survive was meant to inherit the income from the place - if only the trains hadn't destoyed its trade in a matter of months.

There should be a list (on here somewhere) of the "subscribers" to the tontine; and indeed the last person to survive was meant to inherit the income from the place - if only the trains hadn't destoyed its trade in a matter of months.

This list ?

That'll do nicely, Thank you.

We received this by email yesterday

Dear Sheffielders,

I have tried to react to sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums, but unfortunately couldn't get in touch online.

I am curious as to the source of the quote mentioned, as I am currently researching the subject of Napoleon's carriage .

I would like to add Sheffield to the itinerary of the coach, but would need a proper source,

Best regards,

Elsbeth Kwant (the Netherlands)

I am curious as to the source of the quote mentioned, as I am currently researching the subject of Napoleon's carriage .

I'm equally curious and I must have found it at some point !

All hands to the internet trawling process ...

I would like to add Sheffield to the itinerary of the coach, but would need a proper source,

This document is not the source, interesting description though.

Trying to narrow down the year(s) :

Exhibition at Bullock's Museum of Bonaparte's Carriage Taken at Waterloo, pub. by Rudolph Ackermann, 1816

William Bullock (born 1773, location as yet unknown) worked as a goldsmith and jeweller in Sheffield. He collected artifacts, antiquities and stuffed animals.

1798 he began to charge for admission to a "Museum of Natural Curiosities" in his home in Sheffield.

1801 relocated his museum from Sheffield to Liverpool - see http://www.kouroo.info/kouroo/thumbnails/B/WilliamBullock.pdf

1809 relocated to London.

1816 Egyptian Exhibition Hall on Picadilly displays the carriage Napoleon Bonaparte abandoned at Waterloo.

Still looking for the carriage "on tour" ...

Bonaparte's coach on show at Bullock's Museum, Piccadilly, Westminster, London, 1835. Artist: George Cruikshank

http://www.heritage-images.com/Preview/PreviewPage.aspx?id=1239605&pricing=true&licenseType=RM

What I found from an abstract is this. It was described as Napoleon's Battle Carriage. William Bullock ran museums in London Liverpool and Sheffield. He auctioned his Napoleonic treasures in 1819 He died in1849

What I found from an abstract is this. It was described as Napoleon's Battle Carriage. William Bullock ran museums in London Liverpool and Sheffield. He auctioned his Napoleonic treasures in 1819 He died in1849

This gives a little more info.

http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/ref_files/1292128060.pdf