Avro Lancaster Workshop Manual

Bayleaf

I bet they make it sound so easy just like the car manuals

In the car manuals they always seem to work on brand new cars, not old ones where all the nuts are seized,

Have they stripped a Lancaster down to photograph all the jobs

In the car manuals they always seem to work on brand new cars, not old ones where all the nuts are seized,

Apparently both were compiled during extensive restoration work on both aircraft, so just about I think!

I remember having a Haynes one for the Vespa Sportique. They had used an old model to demonstrate with. They took great care to point out all the bits which were likely to be seized up and made recommendations as to how to overcome the problems.

I thought aircraft maintainence was much more rigourus than for a car and involved stripping and reassembling the aircraft at fairly frequent intervals.

If this is so an old aircraft would not be like an old car provided it had been in regular service.

I don't know, - he gets 2 weeks holiday in France and all he does is post on here moaning about Haynes manuals for cars! :P

This was where my Dad sat at least until he was shot down over Germany

So your dad was a "tail end Charlie", - the common RAF slang for a rear gunner.

Often considered to be one of the most dangerous positions to be in.

Open to the most common type of fighter attack from behind where the armament to resist was lowest (just your dad on those 2 guns)

Highly exposed in that "glass" turret to enemy fire

In a position difficult to get out of if the aircraft was hit or had to be evacuated in a hurry.

They were very brave were the aircrew that flew in bombing raids.

Apparently things did improve. From June 1944 Lancasters were equipped with a different rear turret that had a clear cut-away panel that gave an exceptional view, and was also big enough for the gunner to make a very quick exit if need be! I guess the downside was it would have been even colder than the earlier enclosed turrets. Whatever their position, all those aircrew showed unbelievable courage night after night.