Verdon Parramore Spring Knife Cutler

hilldweller

When we first moved to Crookes we lived next to an old lady whose husband was a pocket-knife maker. He died some time before the second world war but I understand his widow kept the business going for a while. The business is still mentioned in my 1942 Kelly's Directory at Progress Works, Sudbury Street, Port Mahon district of Sheffield.

When the old lady died sometime in the early 1980's her son discovered a box of wrapped penknifes in a sideboard and offered me one. The knife is very well made with two small carbon steel blades and scales made of an ivory coloured material, bone perhaps or zylonite. It is marked at the base of the larger blade "Parramore Sheffield".

I don't know if this cutler has been mentioned elsewhere.

HD

I'm here, my glasses aren't so flying blind ... Verdon Parramore, spring knife cutler, Progress Works, Sudbury Street (1925)

going back to bed now ,,,

Both his Dad(Albert E Parramore) and his elder bother, Albert E Parramore (Jr.) were Pen knife cutlers in their day.

Dad shown as that trade in 1901 Census (55 Northfield Road, Crookes); Albert (the younger) showing same as Verdon - Spring knife cutler in 1925 at Progress Works in 1925.

Whole family, including Mother Annie were from Deepcar.