Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RichardB

Topographical Directory

Recommended Posts

Hoping to find more of this information from other years.

Contains brief descriptions and some population information; from which we can derive some idea of the number of persons in each household within a district.

Feel free to comment, add information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheffield 1825

SHEFFIELD a market town in the wap of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York situate at the junction of the rivers

Don and Sheaf 36 miles S of Leeds and 162 NNW of London; containing 87Z6 houses and 42,157 inhabitants; viz

20,815 males and 21,342 females of whom 7661 families are employed in trade and manufactures particularly

in all kinds of hardware cutlery and plated goods for which this town is celebrated throughout Europe.

It has rather a singular appearance, from its occupying a long hill and extending over the adjoining valleys,

being almost enveloped in the smoke from its numerous fire engines and founderies of iron, brass and white metals.

The three churches, St Peter's St Paul's and St James's which are erected on a hill, have a fine effect; their

spires overtop the whole town, and look still more majestic at a small distance, by intervening atmosphere

being almost continually thickened with sooty exhalations.

The extent of the town, each way, is about three quarters of a mile.

The streets are in general wide, well built, open, clean and are lighted by gas. The slaughter houses are

built close to the river. Over each of the rivers is a good stone bridge, that over the Don, called the

Lady's Bridge, consists of three arches and was widened and repaired in 1768.

That over the Sheaf consists of one arch and was erected in 1769.

On the eastern side of the Sheaf stands tbe Duke of Norfolk's hospital erected in 1679, consisting of 2

quadrangles of 18 chambers in each, for 18 poor men and 18 poor women. It has a neat chapel.

Here is another hospital erected in 1708, for the benefit of 16 poor cutlers widows and a good free grammar

and charity schools.

Here are nine different meeting houses for dissenters and a Roman Catholic chapel. In the north eastern

part of the town anciently stood a strong castle of a triangular form between the rivers Don and Sheaf

this castle surrendered to the parliament forces in 1644 and was demolished.

The market place which a very extensive and commodious was erected by the Duke of Norfolk who is nearly

the sole proprietor of the town.

Here is a neat theatre and an assembly room. In the south east corner of Trinity church yard is the old

town hall, but a new town house has lately been erected handsomely built with stone.

Here are also a general infirmary commodious, military barracks, and two excellent schools, on the

Bell and Lancastrian system.

This town and all the around it for a distance of 7 miles long been noted for its manufacture of cutlery,

hardware and plated goods in all their various branches: and from the convenience of the two rivers and

adjoining coal mines the whole of the heavy work has of late years been performed by machinery and its

workmen have made such improvements in ttieir trade that they are now able to undersell every other

market in the world. The nature of their manufactures gives the town a very sombre appearance and the

houses all look black from the continual smoke.

A canal has been cut to the verge of the town which with the navigation of the Don conveys tbe manufactures

of this place to all parts of the kingdom.

On the south side of Trinity church yard is the cutlers hall erected in 1725.

The corporation of cutlers styled

"The Company of Cutlers of Hallamshire", and is governed by a master, 2 wardens, and 2 assistants; but the

public affairs of the town are under 7 of the principal inhabitants, who are termed regents or collectors,

4 of them being of the established church and 3 dissenters.

The town is well supplied with water by means of pipes and at a moderate rate.

Here are two banking houses.

Markets Tuesday and Saturday

Fairs Tuesday after Whitsun work and November 28.

The old church of the Holy Trinity a fine ancient Gothic structure is a vicarage, Value £12 15s 2d.

The new churches are curacies.

Patron the vicar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATTERCLIFF (1825)

a township and curacy to the parish of Sheffield WH of York 1 1/2 m E from Sheffield and 162 from London

containing 555 houses and 3172 inhabitants with Darnall included.

It is a curacy. Patron the vicar of Sheffield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRADFIELD (1825)

a township and chapelry to the parish of Ecclesfield wap of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York 6 m NW

from Sheffield and 169 from London containing 943 houses and 5298 inhabitants the greatest part of whom are

employed in various handicraft trades and branches of the Sheffield manufactures.

The town is surrounded by barren moors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW (1825)

a township to the parish of Sheffield wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York adjoining

to Sheffield 162 miles from London; cont. 1814 houses and 9113 inhnb. It is a curacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ECCLESFIELD (1825)

a parish in the wap of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York 5 m N from Sheffield and 167 N from London;

contains 1356 houses and 7163 inhabitants.

The manufactures of hardware carried on here are similar to those of Sheffield.

Near this place are the remains of a Roman fortification with a deep trench vulgarly called the Devil's ditch.

An alien priory also stood here. It is a vic value £19 3s 4d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ECCLESALL BIERLOW (1825)

a township and chapelry to Sheffield in the wap of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York 3 1/4 m SSW

from Sheffield and 162 from London;contains 1814 houses and 9113 inhabitants being 4526 males and 4587 females, of whom 1511 families are

employed in trade and manufactures and 112 in agriculture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The age old question : where is Ecclesall Bierlow ? and what does Bierlow mean anyway ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HALLAM UPPER & NETHER (1825)

HALLAM NETHER a township to the par of Sheffield in the wap of Stratford and Tickhill WR of York 3 m

from Sheffield and 164 from London containing 823 houses and 3200 inhabitants.

HALLAM UPPER a township also in the same parish J mile distant from the above containing 189 houses and 1018 inhabitants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HANDSWORTH (1825)

a parish in the wap of Strafforth and Tickhill WR of York 4 M E from Sheffield and 160 from London

containing 424 houses and 2173 inhabitants of whom 289 families are employed in trade.

It is a rectory value £12 4s 9d. Patron the duke of Norfolk

---------------------------------------------------

wap = Wapentake ...

What on earth is a Wapentake ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PHILADELPHIA (1825)

a hamlet in the township of Netherhallam and parish of Sheffield WR of York 1 m from Sheffield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PORTO BELLO (1825)

a hamlet in Sheffield parish WR of York 1/2 mile from Sheffield.

---------------------------------------------------

End of 1825 Topographical Directory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wap = Wapentake ...

What on earth is a Wapentake ???

A Public House in Sheffield ?

SORRY

From Old Norse vápnatak

An administrative division of the English counties of York, Lincoln, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, and Rutland, first clearly referred to in 962/963

and corresponding to the “hundred” in other parts of England. The term wapentake is of Scandinavian origin and meant the taking of weapons;

it later signified the clash of arms by which the people assembled in a local court expressed assent. Danish influence was strong in those

English counties where wapentakes existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question for newer members ONLY, lets say those who have been Members of the site less than three months ... any established Members want to chip in, please PM me. If the Link Fairies could hold off fora while please, then, later, maybe give a little tutorial on how to search this site; I've been here forever and still need help or should that be therapy ?

Anyway : Sheffield the biggest village in Britain; discuss.

1 hour allowed, no conferring, no mobiles, no iPODs, iPADs, iPUDS (small electronic devices from Apple that taste like mini-puddings (so long as you hold then correctly).

----------------------------------------------------------

There may be a strong clue incoming, under this thread, if, one or more of the Moderators offer to help with the posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1809 - A Topographical Directory of Yorkshire - Thomas Langdale

SHEFFIELD (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield south division of the wapentake of Stratiorth and Tickhill liberty of Hallamshire 6 miles from Rotherham 12 from

Chesterfield Derb 13 from Penistone 14 from Barnsley 18 from Worksop Notts 21 from Mansfield ditto 24 from Buxton Derb 54 from York

162 from London

Markets Tuesday and Saturday Fairs Tuesday after Whit sun Week and November 28, for Horses. Horned Cattle &c

Bankers, Sheffield Bank, Messrs I and W Shore and Co., draw on Messrs Ransom, Morland and Co., 56 Pall Mall

Sheffield and Rotherham Bank, Messrs Walker, Eyre and Stanley, draw on Messrs Downe, Thornton and Co., 1 Bartholomew Lane

Principal Inns Tontine, Angel, Commercial, King's Head, and Hotel

Population 31,314

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATTERCLIFFE (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield, south of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty Hallamshire, (the seat of Gamelial Milner Esq and

New Hall, (the seat of Richard Swallow Esq)

1 mile from Sheffield, 4 from Rotherham, 13 from Chesterfield Derb.

Population 2,281.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BALLIFIELD (1809)

in the parish of Hansworth, south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, (the seat of John Jubb Esq)

4 miles from Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham, 13 from Worksop Notts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BANNER CROSS (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, (the seat of Brigadier General Murray)

2 miles from Sheffield, 8 from Rotherham, 12 from Chesterfield Derby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BARNSGREEN (1809)

in the parish of Ecclesfield, north division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 5 miles from Sheffield, 8 from Rotherham, 10 from Barnsley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BARNSHALL (1809)

in the parish of Ecclesfteld, north division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4 miles from Sheffield, 8 from Rotherham, 10 from Barnsley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BELL HAGG (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield, south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 3 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham, 15 from Chesterfield Derby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BENT'S GREEN (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield, south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 3 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham, 12 from Chesterfield Derby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BIRLEY CARR (1809)

in the parish of Ecclesfield, north division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 3 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham, 9 from Penistone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRIDGE HOUSES (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield north division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 1 mile from Sheffield 7 from Rotherham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield south division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 1/4 of a mile from Sheffield, 5 1/2 from

Rotherham 12 from Chesterfield Derby

Pop 4,030.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BURROW LEE (1809)

in the parish of Sheffield, south division of of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 2 miles from Sheffield, 7 from Rotherham, 12 from Penistone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×