St Philips Club Burns Down

mickjj

The once popular but now disused St Philips WMC on netherthorpe road bid a final farewell as it burnt down today.

The Star

There are some very good readers photos of the blaze in this article

The once popular but now disused St Philips WMC on netherthorpe road bid a final farewell as it burnt down today.

The Star

There are some very good readers photos of the blaze in this article

As a chemist, - since when has hydrochloric acid been "highly flammable" :unsure:

..and even if it was what was a load of it doing just lying around in a working mens club? :blink:

Sorry, but I strongly suspect arson. <_<

..and with the number of empty, derelict, disused clubs and pubs (to mis-quote Douglas Lamb, there's "One On Every Corner" these days) I am sure that there are likely to be further similar incidents in the future, - unfortunately :angry:

As a chemist, - since when has hydrochloric acid been "highly flammable" :unsure:

It isn't but when it's in the middle of a fire it heats up and gives off those nasty gasses that make it imposible to breath etc.

Sorry, but I strongly suspect arson. <_<

NO!

...Sorry, but I strongly suspect arson. <_<

NO!

That seems a definite answer Mike

What other cause could it be in the middle of the night

I am not inferring insurance type arson, but kids/burglars in at that time of night.

Insurance Claims ----------> Thataway and Thataway (Solicitors) !

That could be one possibility of a not so accidental, accidental fire Richard

In these days of "If someone's to blame, you've got a claim" and the willingness of people to make claims or take legal action and play the "Sue me, sue you blues" (note the George Harrison reference there!) it seems quite likely.

But then again Dunsbyowl seems to think I am very cynical about the cause of this fire and a possible motive. lol

It isn't but when it's in the middle of a fire it heats up and gives off those nasty gasses that make it imposible to breath etc.

I have seen hydrochloric acid incorrectly labelled with the CLEASPE "Flammable" warning.

This has come about because if the acid, especially if warmed up a bit, comes into contact with metals of reasonable reactivity (zinc, iron, steel) it reacts with it, dissolving the metal and releasing Hydrogen gas from the acid.

Now hydrogen gas IS flammable, but it's combustion would be better described as explosive, a very dangerous gas to have around.

NO!

I have just read Stuarts comment on this NO! and we seem to differ on the interpretation of this NO!

Stuart thinks it is a definate NO, meaning that the fire was definately not arson.

I think that mike's NO! was more of a sarcastic "no, - get away with you Dave, why on Earth would you ever think that?" which would sort of be agreeing with my suggestion that it was a deliberate arson

So, Stuart0742 thinks it's a definate No to arson, DaveH thinks its a convoluted agreement that it is arson

But who is right?

THERE's ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!!!

No, - not a FIGHT but one of us (the one that got it wrong)will have to buy an extra round in tomorrow night in the pub!

Seems a more civilised way for 2 mates of over 40 years to sort out their differences. lol

Back over to you mike142sl, we need an answer on this one, there's a pint at stake.

I have just read Stuarts comment on this NO! and we seem to differ on the interpretation of this NO!

Stuart thinks it is a definate NO, meaning that the fire was definately not arson.

I think that mike's NO! was more of a sarcastic "no, - get away with you Dave, why on Earth would you ever think that?" which would sort of be agreeing with my suggestion that it was a deliberate arson

So, Stuart0742 thinks it's a definate No to arson, DaveH thinks its a convoluted agreement that it is arson

But who is right?

THERE's ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!!!

No, - not a FIGHT but one of us (the one that got it wrong)will have to buy an extra round in tomorrow night in the pub!

Seems a more civilised way for 2 mates of over 40 years to sort out their differences. lol

Back over to you mike142sl, we need an answer on this one, there's a pint at stake.

No Dave what I meant to imply was that Mike's NO! was his definite answer, not mine

I think Arson is the only possible cause,

Now whether its just malicious or Insurance scam, that's open.

One definite thing we can not work it out here, SY Fire and Rescue will decide that, they are the experts, we are just cynics

One definite thing we can not work it out here,

Of course we can, with a fight or a bet for beer or something like that lol

We sorted out the fate of Frithy in a boozer over a few pints! lol

we are just cynics

I think we both agree on that bit! lol

Ohh Errr

So much discussion started by such a small word. :ph34r:

One of the many pitfalls of forum life - not being able to express the sentiment in writing.

Well the answer to the pint of beer debate is .....

Sarchasm

Now you can discus who actually needs to go to the bar he he

Ohh Errr

So much discussion started by such a small word. :ph34r:

One of the many pitfalls of forum life - not being able to express the sentiment in writing.

Well the answer to the pint of beer debate is .....

Sarchasm

Now you can discus who actually needs to go to the bar he he

Thanks mike,

I am going up to Stuarts tonight so it will be Stuart who goes up to the bar first regardless.

Like you say, apparently even the single 2 letter word NO can be interpreted differently.

What a strange but wonderful language English is.

No Dave what I meant to imply was that Mike's NO! was his definite answer, not mine

I think Arson is the only possible cause,

Now whether its just malicious or Insurance scam, that's open.

One definite thing we can not work it out here, SY Fire and Rescue will decide that, they are the experts, we are just cynics

Well after all the " was it a NO meaning No " or a " NO meaning arson", I guess

you're right Stuart. According to the Star it was arson.

Did I hear someone say No? :rolleyes:

Well after all the " was it a NO meaning No " or a " NO meaning arson", I guess

you're right Stuart. According to the Star it was arson.

Did I hear someone say No? :rolleyes:

I think both me and Stuart strongly suspected it was arson all the time.

SY Fire and Rescue will decide that, they are the experts, we are just cynics

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Guest transit

I think both me and Stuart strongly suspected it was arson all the time.

....looks like your suspicions were correct guys !!!! - http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Arson-to-blame-for-city.6364311.jp

Ahh! I recognise the "sentiment in writing" this time lol

I don't like the look of this Stuart :mellow:

It comes across as though WE knew it was arson before everyone else, - then it turns out we were right! :unsure:

It makes it sound like we had inside information B)

Or that me and you went down there ourselves armed with a box of matches and a gallon of petrol :o

IT WASN'T US!!! :rolleyes:

I don't like the look of this Stuart :mellow:

It comes across as though WE knew it was arson before everyone else, - then it turns out we were right! :unsure:

It makes it sound like we had inside information B)

Or that me and you went down there ourselves armed with a box of matches and a gallon of petrol :o

IT WASN'T US!!! :rolleyes:

I agree

But look on the brightside you did manage to get rid of that surplus Hydrochloric acid you have had for some time

I agree

But look on the brightside you did manage to get rid of that surplus Hydrochloric acid you have had for some time

There's no arson about with us! he he

Or perhaps we are just arson about. :o

If we get caught for arson will we serve time in the arsenic? :unsure: