Bird Identification Help Please.

Bayleaf

This poor little character flew into our greenhouse just now, with fatal results. Can anybody identify it please? It's about the size of a sparrow or greenfinch. I'm used to both in the garden, but this one's very mottled on its back.

This poor little character flew into our greenhouse just now, with fatal results. Can anybody identify it please? It's about the size of a sparrow or greenfinch. I'm used to both in the garden, but this one's very mottled on its back.

I thought that the mottling was common on youger (juvenile) greenfinches which they lost with age.

It is late spring, there are a lot of young, hatched only a few months ago birds around at present so could it be a young greenfinch?

Other colours in your picture seem to indicate this.

A young, inexperienced bird probably hadn't learnt how to avoid greenhouses like an adult bird would have.

The glass, like a window to a domestic bird, is almost invisible to them in certain light.

Those long thin legs do look very Robin like.

I agree a young robin. They do not get their red breasts until they are older.

Lyn

I agree a young robin. They do not get their red breasts until they are older.

Lyn

That's 3 of us so it looks like its a Robin.

Juvenile Robin

Adult Robin

Robin the boy wonder

That's 3 of us so it looks like its a Robin.

Juvenile Robin

Adult Robin

Robin the boy wonder

Picture 1 looks pretty conclusive, thanks everyone.

I haven't seen number 3 in our garden, but you never know what the cat's going to bring in next.

(Just in case anyone's worried, our cat is 19yrs old, suffers with a thyroid problem and like me and the missus, is arthritic, so there's no danger to the wildlife, unless they're suicidal and throw themselves at her!)

Picture 1 looks pretty conclusive, thanks everyone.

I haven't seen number 3 in our garden, but you never know what the cat's going to bring in next.

(Just in case anyone's worried, our cat is 19yrs old, suffers with a thyroid problem and like me and the missus, is arthritic, so there's no danger to the wildlife, unless they're suicidal and throw themselves at her!)

You don't really want number 3 in your garden.

This Robin is always accompanied by a bat.

Bats are a protected protected species.

If you get one of those on your property it either stays there are you have to go through a hell of a lot of beuracratic red tape to have it moved.

The bat that comes with the Robin

The protected bat, hard to get removed.