Aelflugh - Ranmoor Cliffe

mike142sl

Does anyone know where this house is/was. Where we go on holiday every year in S Devon there is a grave yard through which we walk the dog, and on a corner is the grave of someone called Wragg who was some sort of sea faring chap. In fact the grave is his wife's as he was buried at sea, but it states 'of Aelflugh Ranmoor Cliffe Sheffield'

It may be my feeble mind but it does ring some sort of bell. I seem to have come across it somewhere, but I'm blowed if I can remember. Now it's one of those nagging things! I'll have to consult my library, (both shelves!)

Was there any date on the grave Mike?

Aelflugh !

Bless you

As it happens I am a bit like that - recovering from Flu at the moment.

I should take a photo of the grave stone really, could start a furthest from inscription thread??? Not back down there until mid Aug though.

As it happens I am a bit like that - recovering from Flu at the moment.

I should take a photo of the grave stone really, could start a furthest from inscription thread??? Not back down there until mid Aug though.

Hi Mike,

a location would help, South Devon is a large area !

Does anyone know where this house is/was. Where we go on holiday every year in S Devon there is a grave yard through which we walk the dog, and on a corner is the grave of someone called Wragg who was some sort of sea faring chap. In fact the grave is his wife's as he was buried at sea, but it states 'of Aelflugh Ranmoor Cliffe Sheffield'

Hi mike here are the Villages in Devon starting with A do any ring a bell.

Abbey,

Abbots Bickington

Abbotsham

Abbotskerswell

Accott

Alfington

All Saints, D

Aller Grove

Aller, Devon

Allercombe

Alminstone Cross

Alphington,

Alston, D

Alswear

Alverdiscott

Alwington

Appledore,

Appledore,

Arlington Beccott

Arlington,

Ash Mill

Ash Thomas

Ash,

Ashbury,

Ashcombe

Ashculme

Ashford,

Ashill,

Ashmansworthy

Ashprington

Ashreigney

Ashton,

Ashwater

Ashwell,

Atherington,

Aunk

Aveton Gifford

Avonwick

Awliscombe

Axmouth

Axtown

Aylesbeare

Ayshford

Sorry Syrup, you misunderstand me. 'Aelflugh' is or was the name of a house on Ranmoor Cliffe in Sheffield. The grave is in a place called Galmpton near Hope Cove (all a few miles from Salcombe).

I don't have a pic of the grave (yet) but this shows the church in its setting.

I know its no help but Google now returns 2 references to "Aelflugh" both referencing this topic <_<

Sorry Syrup, you misunderstand me. 'Aelflugh' is or was the name of a house on Ranmoor Cliffe in Sheffield. The grave is in a place called Galmpton near Hope Cove (all a few miles from Salcombe).

I don't have a pic of the grave (yet) but this shows the church in its setting.

Sorry had a heavy day at work brain worn out.

OK, just back from my latest trip to S Devon and have some more info.

Firstly the house name is spelt Aellfluh and the chap who lived there was called Earnest George Wragg who was a J.P. He died suddenly off the island of Cyprus on 16th May 1928 and was burried at sea. His wife died 4 years before him and it is her grave that shows the inscription about Ranmoor Cliffe.

I've tried uploading a picture of the grave but it won't have it, so may try again another day, but if the above is of any help - especially the fact he was a JP.

OK, just back from my latest trip to S Devon and have some more info.

Firstly the house name is spelt Aellfluh and the chap who lived there was called Earnest George Wragg who was a J.P. He died suddenly off the island of Cyprus on 16th May 1928 and was burried at sea. His wife died 4 years before him and it is her grave that shows the inscription about Ranmoor Cliffe.

I've tried uploading a picture of the grave but it won't have it, so may try again another day, but if the above is of any help - especially the fact he was a JP.

Thanks for the update Mike,

Seems to be a few problems with the site at the present moment,

looking forward to seeing your photos.

3 Whitworth Road, Ranmoor.

Manager, Sheffield Banking Co. Limited of George Street (1911, 1919, and 1925 - listed as JP in 1925)

Aelflugh, I believe, was him clearing his throat or sneezing he he

Is this him ?

In 1901, Mathew Robinson is described as Hotel Keeper here at the Station Hotel, [Hathersage] with his wife Hannah and their three daughters, he employed three servants. Another inn that was once in Hathersage was the Bluebell. The Station Hotel would remain a focal of activity in the village, and was once a meeting place of the home guard. It was later sold to Ernest George Wragg Brewers, of Ranmoor and then the Tennant Brothers, of the Exchange Brewery of Sheffield.

Source

On 14/08/2010 at 23:24, RichardB said:

3 Whitworth Road, Ranmoor.

Manager, Sheffield Banking Co. Limited of George Street (1911, 1919, and 1925 - listed as JP in 1925)

Aelflugh, I believe, was him clearing his throat or sneezing he he

It now has the name  CLEVELAND HOUSE. Easier to spell !!