Joseph Henry Stephenson, Sheffield Rdc In Ww1

fhaccord

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction? My relative Joseph Henry Stephenson died in Sheffield on 18/11/1918 whilst serving in the Royal Defence Corps 10th Protection Company.

He is buried in a CWGC grave in Walkley cemetery.

His number was 60538 and he has a record of a prev number in the Yorkshire Regmnt, so could have been invalided out of the war as he died after it finished.

Any offers?

Thanks

Guest Trefcon

Hi,

It looks like he was a regular in India when hostilities began with 1st Battalion York and Lancaster Regt. num,ber 8231. His MIC has a 'entry into theatre therein' date of 5/8/14.

The 1st were at Jubbulpore. They returned to England on 23/12/14, then to Hursley Park to join with 83rd Brigade/28th Division. Then to France, landing at Le Harve on 17/1/15. Then to Egypt in Oct. 1915, and on to Salonika, landing there in early December.

More than likely he was wounded or taken ill and was not fit for overseas deployment, hence to the RDC. The RDC were responsible for , among other things, POW camps, military installations etc, and personal protection. You should find loads by Googling.

This from the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star of 23/11/18 -

STEPHENSON - On November 18th, at Belton Park Hospital, Private J. Stephenson, of the R.D.C. late York and Lanc; after a brief illness, the loving husband of Polly Stephenson (Smith), of, 206 Fitzwilliam Street, and son of J. Danton and Annie Stephenson, of 180, Cross Lane, Crookes. Internment Wednesday, November 27th, at 11 o'clock, Walkley.

'Just when his hopes were brightest,

God called him home to rest'

Possible Flu victim ?

Belton Park was at Grantham.

His name appears on the St. Thomas' Church Roll of Honour.

Dean.

Many thanks for your reply - that is really helpful and quite amazing. I have more research to do now!

I don't suppose you could help with another query that I have hit a brick wall with?

My Grandad Frank Higham joined the Royal Engineers in Sheffield his number was 2469.

He ended the war in India and the story is that when the end of the war was announced he and his comrades broke into the stores and all got drunk - they were court martialled and the sentence was an extra year in India. When he returned he married my Gran (the sister of Joseph H Stephenson)

Thanks again.

Guest Trefcon

Hi, i cant see any papers for him on Ancestry, only his MIC. I have nothing in my files also.

Do you have any images of him ?

Dean.

Hi, i cant see any papers for him on Ancestry, only his MIC. I have nothing in my files also.

Do you have any images of him ?

Dean.

Hi

The only pic I have of him is attached, which was in about 1956.

I also have his service medals.

Cheers

Frank