Royal Hotel

RichardB

Interesting one. From Pubs and People around Sheffield - Roy Davey

Richard if you have that book, is there any reference to The Swan with two Necks, which I believe stood somewhere in the area which is now Arundel Gate - Regards Nigel

I do have the book,and sadly no mention.

Strange name, two necks ? how many heads ?? Not being funny, but I could imagine "Swan with two heads" as a pub name or even "The Two headed Swan", but two necks ?? What evidence do you have about this place please, what timespan. I'd try the trade directories, Kelly's, White's whatever is appropriate to the timescale. Good Luck :rolleyes:

Strange name, two necks ? how many heads ?? Not being funny, but I could imagine "Swan with two heads" as a pub name or even "The Two headed Swan", but two necks ?? What evidence do you have about this place please, what timespan. I'd try the trade directories, Kelly's, White's whatever is appropriate to the timescale. Good Luck :rolleyes:

My apologies ! Just found this ...

The walk, when finally under way, led alongside a couple of moored boats and then branched away from the canal to the next village. It enters the village at the side of another hostelry, the ‘Swan with Two Nicks’ (or ‘Two Necks’, if the fanciful artist of the Pub sign is to be believed). Passing this brings one to a narrow footbridge over the River Bollin.

from this site : http://www.canoecampingclub.co.uk/issue257/derby257.htm

Not Sheffield, but close, hope it helps.

Ha, ha, ha

Swan With Two Necks - There are a few of these about. It is a staple of pub quizzes that Swans have traditionally been the property of the reigning Monarch. However, in the 16th century, good Queen Bess thought it would be nice to let someone else have some swans. She granted such a right to the Worshipful Company of Vintners. In order to be able to tell which Swan belonged to whom, it was decided that Vintners' swans should have their beaks marked with two notches, or nicks. Now, in those days, 'neck' was another form of 'nick' and so the ever witty Vintners spotted that a Swan With Two Necks could afford them a rather clever pun, and so signs outside Vintners' taverns began to show Swans with two necks (and heads, otherwise it would look weird). Hence 'The Swan With Two Necks'.

from http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/pubnews.cgi

Hi Richard - yes it could be two heads. My friend (Heather) is trying to find out where this pub was, as she knows it was 'kept' by her maternal Great Grandparents during the early years of the last century. She believes it was somewhere in the Arundel Gate area of Sheffield. Thank you for your advice, I shall pass it on. If we do come up with anything, I shall let you know. Regards.