Kelly's Directory Map

RichardB

Hi,

I too dropped on this map a few weeks ago and scrathed my head about the date. If you look at the last page (page 8) it includes a hand written note saying ...

'Issued with Commercial Handbook and Illustrated Guide Book. 1st February 1939'.

That seems to fit with what I am guessing as the date of the estates at Southey Green and Manor which are shown simply as a road layout with notes like 'All these now built' - it was all long before my time!!! If so, it is interesting to note which areas are shown in outline only - they include Southey Green, Firth Park, Roman Ridge Road (now looks to be industrial units), Manor Oaks, Manor, Norton Lees, Abbey Lane, and Millhouses.

A

Hi,

I too dropped on this map a few weeks ago and scrathed my head about the date. If you look at the last page (page 8) it includes a hand written note saying ...

'Issued with Commercial Handbook and Illustrated Guide Book. 1st February 1939'.

That seems to fit with what I am guessing as the date of the estates at Southey Green and Manor which are shown simply as a road layout with notes like 'All these now built' - it was all long before my time!!! If so, it is interesting to note which areas are shown in outline only - they include Southey Green, Firth Park, Roman Ridge Road (now looks to be industrial units), Manor Oaks, Manor, Norton Lees, Abbey Lane, and Millhouses.

A

I have no idea where or how I found this; no memory of it either. I find stuff, drop it here (or there) and hope it fires somebodies imagination.