Who Knew Alan Birks?

Guest CBirks

Guest CBirks

Hi Everybody,

This is more of an enquiry into recent history than one of generations ago, so I'm asking and inviting you to indulge your nostalgia and let loose with memories!

My name is Chris Birks. I'm the eldest son of Alan Birks. Alan Birks was born in Sheffield in 1948 and lived on the Birley estate (15 Thornbridge Way) before leaving in 1968 to attend Plymouth Polytechnic. His immediate family were as follows:

Father - William (Bill) Birks

Mother - Gladys Birks (nee Mee)

Sister - Carol Birks

Brother - John Birks

He attended Thornbridge Grammar School 1960-68. During that time he was the singer in a band called Zachery Thak with the following members:

Vocals - Alan Birks

Bass - Kevin Stanton

Guitar - Andy Ellis

Drums - Andy Hunt

I also know that he was good friends with the infamous Tommy 'Fred' Eyre.

Alan Birks died very suddenly of a MASSIVE heart attack at the end of February. I'm pleased to say to anybody that knew him that he died enjoying early retirement in Cyprus. He was engaged to a beautiful Bulgarian musician and was surrounded by a large number of very good friends (mostly also extremely talented musicians). His occupation was an architect and project manager, and during his career worked for many prestigious organisations. In 1996 he moved to Bahrain to work for the royal family there, and his final project was building 8 towers of the Jumierah Beach Residence in Dubai. He leaves behind him four sons, Thomas (17), Matthew (19), Alex (21) and myself (22).

The reason I'm posting this is that I'd really love absolutely anybody with any stories, insights, suspicions or facts about Alan Birks to please post them or email them to me. I was born when Alan was 39, so there is a great deal of his life that I really don't know anything about. The most glaring omission is childhood. Yes, I've got plenty of family stories here, there and everywhere, but I want to know anything and everything! So, whatever you can remember I'd be so grateful if you would share. Sex, drugs, fights, romance, embarrassment, arrests, near-misses, hilarious moments, I want to hear it all! Even if it's only loosely connected, please share.

To wet your whistles and get the memories sparking I have attached some photographs I uncovered in his collection...

Thank you,

Christopher Birks

c_birksy@hotmail.co.uk

Guest eyreguitar

Hi Chris,

I'm Simon Eyre, Tommy (Fred) s brother.

I was really upset to hear about your Dad, especially because he'd only recently sent me a couple of emails (see below) and I was looking forward to keeping in touch with him.

I never met him but Tommy used to talk about the stuff they used to get up to at Thornbridge and I know they were really good mates.

Just thought you'd like to read the emails he sent, he sounded like a top bloke and he's obviously got a fantastic family.

Take care.

Simon.

Hello Simon,

Writing to tell you how much I enjoyed reading the Fred(Tommy) and family history sections of your website. I came to the site on a "where are they now" browsing session and what was written there brought back so many memories of the times with Fred.

Sorry but I never caught on to Tommy as the name of my old school mate.

Tommy introduced me to Mad magazine and smoking, and I remember the evenings after school when we would work endlessly in your kitchen making comedy sketches using a reel to reel tape deck. At that time you were the Candle Kid and definitely not allowed into our "studio' . I remembered your dads knife soldering skills and more so his 3-wheeler with the van back made of hardboard. Is your mom still around? She was lovely.

It all comes back so easily, Midland Station where I went to see Fred off to Germany with his first full time band and the stories of starvation and Johnny Tempest rubber cheques when he got back, and maybe if I dig around in the boxes I have moved from country to country,and it hasn't dissolved yet, I might even find the letter he sent me from there written on that strange see-through air mail paper.

When Fred joined Thornbridge School he was responsible for my stopping piano lessons. Well what was the point? How could I hold a dream of rock stardom alongside such a talent as his? The good side was that my interest was strengthened by his influence and when the chance came I formed a band with some other 13-14 year olds as the vocalist. I remember our first gig was at Frecheville Scout Hut I was reading the lyrics and the guitarist was in a complete panic and tried to ring Fred to stand in. Fortunately/unfortunately he couldn't come and we learned as we played for another 4 years or so until we all left school and went our separate ways. I left Sheffield for college and never really got back except for family visits and to pick up Hendersons Relish, Midget Gems and oat cakes so I lost touch with everyone and everything. I moved to work in Arabia in '96 and now I do nothing in Cyprus.

Thanks again for the memories

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the email, what a lovely surprise.

I vaguely remember interesting stuff going on in that kitchen that I wasn't allowed to watch.

I do remember 10 years later when I was doing it all for myself, I inherited that old reel to reel and all the old tapes, they still had bits and pieces of the sketches you did, Arthur Askey and The Goons type stuff.

I did a bit of digging after your email and found this http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7126

There's a bloke calling himself vox I was in a band with his brother Simon Hinkler, his posts are towards the bottom of the page and you've got a mention.

Zachery Thack's a name I've not heard for a good few years.

I remember Tom and his mates all wearing nuts and bolt instead of cufflinks and reading his Don Martin and Mad magazines.

It was great to hear some stories about me Dad too, that hardboard van back is pretty typical of his bodgings.

He died in 1974 but Mum's still around, she's still lovely and lives in Chatham Kent, she still comes up with the odd Tommy at Thornbridge story, like smashing up the old upright piano and getting summoned to Snook's office.

There's a great book about Sheffield bands 1955 - 1975 if you can get hold of a copy, it's called "Not Like a Proper Job" by John Firminger and Martin Lilleker. It's published by Juma and it's full of all the old names.

I don't get back to Sheffield much at all these days. We live in London but my wife's from Sheff so she goes up quite often to see her folks and bring back the Relish.

Nice to reminisce.

Take Care.

Simon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't really expecting a reply Simon. Everyone is too busy these days, including myself. Retiring is really bad news 'cos you still work all the time but get no appreciation for it and no pay,

The story of the old piano is that Tom was banned from the school orchestra because he gave Snook the wrong note to tune his violin and Snook being the man he was gave it all he had at the start to show up the poor learners and of course he as the one to be embarrassed because he was in the wrong key. We had to have music in our smoke break so we found a piano going for free in Base Green. We pushed it all the way back to school with Tom play old barrel organ tunes on it and the casters falling off one by one We first parked it around the back of the Gym but had move to the bike sheds after being caught. The b**stards came over the roof 'cos we had look-outs on both corners. There we painted it psychodelic-ish and had a good few laughs before we had to get rid.

Forgot to mention your treacle sandwiches last time around and how you had the habit of leaving them on the sofa. We guys had all learned to check before we sat down but one day we had some girls around when your mom and dad were out and this one girl Carol was very proud of her new full length pink suede coat. Need I say more?

Did you know that Tom used to do an impression of your dad playing in the pubs when he came around to ours by crossing over his first two fingers to pound out the melody line on the worn out pianos.

Zackery Thak is a name that I haven't written or said for decads. Even my sons never knew the name of the band. Will check out the site and hope it says something nice

Cheers

Alan

Guest jennimbarker

Hi Everybody,

This is more of an enquiry into recent history than one of generations ago, so I'm asking and inviting you to indulge your nostalgia and let loose with memories!

My name is Chris Birks. I'm the eldest son of Alan Birks. Alan Birks was born in Sheffield in 1948 and lived on the Birley estate (15 Thornbridge Way) before leaving in 1968 to attend Plymouth Polytechnic. His immediate family were as follows:

Father - William (Bill) Birks

Mother - Gladys Birks (nee Mee)

Sister - Carol Birks

Brother - John Birks

He attended Thornbridge Grammar School 1960-68. During that time he was the singer in a band called Zachery Thak with the following members:

Vocals - Alan Birks

Bass - Kevin Stanton

Guitar - Andy Ellis

Drums - Andy Hunt

I also know that he was good friends with the infamous Tommy 'Fred' Eyre.

Alan Birks died very suddenly of a MASSIVE heart attack at the end of February. I'm pleased to say to anybody that knew him that he died enjoying early retirement in Cyprus. He was engaged to a beautiful Bulgarian musician and was surrounded by a large number of very good friends (mostly also extremely talented musicians). His occupation was an architect and project manager, and during his career worked for many prestigious organisations. In 1996 he moved to Bahrain to work for the royal family there, and his final project was building 8 towers of the Jumierah Beach Residence in Dubai. He leaves behind him four sons, Thomas (17), Matthew (19), Alex (21) and myself (22).

The reason I'm posting this is that I'd really love absolutely anybody with any stories, insights, suspicions or facts about Alan Birks to please post them or email them to me. I was born when Alan was 39, so there is a great deal of his life that I really don't know anything about. The most glaring omission is childhood. Yes, I've got plenty of family stories here, there and everywhere, but I want to know anything and everything! So, whatever you can remember I'd be so grateful if you would share. Sex, drugs, fights, romance, embarrassment, arrests, near-misses, hilarious moments, I want to hear it all! Even if it's only loosely connected, please share.

To wet your whistles and get the memories sparking I have attached some photographs I uncovered in his collection...

Thank you,

Christopher Birks

c_birksy@hotmail.co.uk

I have just seen your post - somewhat a couple of years down the line - whilst just keying in Thornbridge School. I knew your dad, loved the photos you posted ... had to search my memory for names to the faces....you know how it is ==== My name was Jennifer Jones and my first dealings with your dad and his pal Adrian Cooke were in the corridor waiting to go into assembly..... (our first year at Thornbridge).... I am 5ft 10" and in my first year at school I was probably 5ft 6".....the two small lads were in front of me .. being a pain.. and I told them to shut up....they turned round to me and said ..sorry miss... they thought I was a teacher !! as school progressed the terrible two became much likeable lads .. especially when the school christmas dance was around the corner when many girls were seeking their attention !!......our crowd of girls became groupies especially when Fred Eyre came on the scene ... some of the other lads had a group on the go called the Quiliers .. Roger Burbeary Alan Farmer and others....thr group of girls included .. Norma Turner (Toots) - Jean Willoughby== Pam Kitson== Margaret Startin == Ros Abdy == Sue Pollitt == Sue Boden . Progressing through school you do seem to change the crowds you hung around with especially when you start with a boyfriend/or girlfriend. My best friend was Joan Spotswood.... then I started going out with the head boy David Mosely (16 by this time) and then life was on the change. The other responder to your post VOX isnt by any chance Andy Hinkler is it....I will close in the hope this gives you a little more of school days at Thornbrige but would add my very sincere condolences == your dad was a nice guy regards Jennifer Jones (now Barker)