Sheffield in the 1980's

Sheffield History

There were a few members who selected the 80's as the era that they have most fond memories of Sheffield

Why is this ?

What stood out most about the 80's ?

What shops were around in the 80's, what pubs and clubs had their heyday's in the 80's ?

What about shopping and transport - what did it cost and what was on offer ?

I left Sheffield in 1981 so except for trips home do not know too much about that era. I do remember though that each time we came over there always to be major changes to the city. the major ones I suppose was all the factories closing down and disappearing followed by the construction of Meadowhall. This in turn seemed to lead to the demise of the city centre shopping areas as shoppers moved enmasse to theSHiny Shopping Temple".

Guest mackyD

'meadowhell' as it's better known these days

Maybe most of the members up to now are around the same age/same generation? Just a suggestion. I am in my thirties and the eighties is probably the era which stands out to me has I was in my teens then. Although the seventies (during my childhood) hold some fantastic memories too!

Guest coffee cup

I am sure it was the late 80's when I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Bramall Lane

he was fantastic.

Cheap Transport! I left school in 1981 after my A levels and had a travel permit allowing me to travel for 2p. That didn't really matter as the most it costs was 10p. You never thought twice about going anyway because of the cost. last time I was in Sheffield I went to towm from my mum's (Norwood) and it was over £3.00 no wonder half the buses are empty and hald of those that are running don't look like they'd pass their MOT!

Guest transit

I am sure it was the late 80's when I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Bramall Lane

he was fantastic.

Hi - The Boss held a concert for two nights - 9+10th July 1988. I didnt go but can remember the muffled noise when living on Woodthorpe!

Yeah - remember that gig

I didn't go - I don't like his music - but it was a big deal for Sheffield

Guest Unitedite

The 1980's was still at time when we actually still made things in Sheffield.

A time when we still had lots of steel works and collieries with masses of railway sidings and lots of HGVs coming and going on the roads.

I think that most of us were aware that the "end was nigh", but there was still a feeling of worth about the city's industries.

To me, places like Attercliffe, Darnall and Tinsley now seem a lot less "busy" these days, despite the existence of Meadowhall and the other retail parks.

:(