Victorian Grafitti & a Druid throne

Blacky

I remember when i was a kid being taken by an uncle and my cousins to a place that had what was said to be Victorian Grafitti chisled into a great boulder and a chair that was also cut out of the rock whic i think was called the druids chair or throne.

Id love to take the kids there but cant remember where it was - from what i remeber i dont think we were far out of Sheffied!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Lee.

I remember when i was a kid being taken by an uncle and my cousins to a place that had what was said to be Victorian Grafitti chisled into a great boulder and a chair that was also cut out of the rock whic i think was called the druids chair or throne.

Id love to take the kids there but cant remember where it was - from what i remeber i dont think we were far out of Sheffied!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Lee.

The Druids Chair is near Birchover.

Exactly where I can't remember.

I think that's Stanton Moor area and there's a stone circle up there so it's probably on the moor somewhere.

I'll ask "She" when she comes in. I'm sure she'll remember. :)

Not heard of any Victorian Graffiti though.

Thanks for the reply Vox.

Im 99% sure that they were in the same place. although it could be nostalgia playing tricks on me.

I remember it being a bit or a trek through some woodland and then as we approached there was this large boulder and on it were hundreds of names and dates all carved into it.

Lee.

The Druids Chair is near Birchover.

Exactly where I can't remember.

I think that's Stanton Moor area and there's a stone circle up there so it's probably on the moor somewhere.

I'll ask "She" when she comes in. I'm sure she'll remember. :)

Not heard of any Victorian Graffiti though.

Druids chair is at Birchover which is accessible on a very narrow (in places) very steep (in places) and quite bendy (in places) road that rises into the Peaks from the A6 at Rowsley at the side of Batemans Mill (a restored and preserved old flour mill) the road climbs up to Stanton and Stanton in the Peak before levelling off and dropping down to Birchover.

If this is the case then the stone circle is more than likely the "nine ladies" (because there are 9 of them) although there are other megaliths up on Stanton Moor.

More details here

Stanton Moor

Like vox, I'm not sure about the Victorian graffitti.

Would this be the place: scroll down the page to Birchover and there is mention of Druids and rock carvings.

http://www.peakdistrict-nationalpark.com/s...5-mile-walk.asp

Looks like the whole Stanton Moor area is well worth visiting for those with an interest in our ancient predecessors

Must have made that last post just as madannie was posting this.

I used to know the Stanton Moor area quite well as I have an old friend who lives up there.

I also used to work with a lady who lived up there and once protested about lorries using the road to transport rock and the amount of quarrying that was going on.