Wash and brush up.

Only me

This might seem a daft question but as a kid i remember toilets in town had the sighn "wash and brush up"

Were these to freshen up because a lot of folk were without bathrooms? Also was a bar of soap and a brush/comb provided by attendants?

This might seem a daft question but as a kid i remember toilets in town had the sighn "wash and brush up"

Were these to freshen up because a lot of folk were without bathrooms? Also was a bar of soap and a brush/comb provided by attendants?

I think the one on Surrey St, outside the Town Hall is still there.

You can only imagine what current H & S regulations would say about combs/brushes being used by all and sundry; bars of soap out of fashion too !

Some places still have bars of soap, eg: City Library but todays pack of "wet ones"

solve most problems. As for the hair , most men have shaven heads and male and

female alike have it gelled up to the next wash day, doesn't need combing.

How times have changed. If you don't look scruffy you're not cool, my little grandson

told me that. But it doesn't stop me trying to dress like Joan Collins. he he lol

We could use our already well established and researched thread on public toilets, most of which are now gone.

Public Toilets (mostly closed)

As a starting point to establish which of these toilets, when they were open, offered a wash and brush up service.

Good idea, sorry i missed that thread.

I was really wondering if any of the older SH members actually had to use these places and what they were like in the day.

Good idea, sorry i missed that thread.

I was really wondering if any of the older SH members actually had to use these places and what they were like in the day.

Probably best to get an answer to that from some of our lady members.

As a young teenager at the time these "wash & brush up bogs" were in operation, and having a typical male teenager view from that period that you had to have long hair and look fairly scruffy and unkemp its not the sort of service I would have wanted to avail myself off.

At that time looking smart and clean would have ruined our street cred. ;-)

Probably best to get an answer to that from some of our lady members.

As a young teenager at the time these "wash & brush up bogs" were in operation, and having a typical male teenager view from that period that you had to have long hair and look fairly scruffy and unkemp its not the sort of service I would have wanted to avail myself off.

At that time looking smart and clean would have ruined our street cred. ;-)

Perhaps nobody wanted to use them after subway Cyril, Nora and Blackbeard were seen coming out together lol.

Perhaps nobody wanted to use them after subway Cyril, Nora and Blackbeard were seen coming out together lol.

Well, some of those toilets, particularly the subway ones which had this type of service, weren't the cleanest of places anyway were they. <_<