Redmires camp

Guest rtj stevens

Guest rtj stevens

Hi all, I live very near to the ex POW camp at Redmires and have been interested in the history of the area for some time. Some interesting tidbits I've gleaned from your website. I've also visited the Somme and the Sheffield Memorial to the Sheffield Battalion near to Serre.

The website url is: http://rtjhomepages.users.btopenworld.com/redmirescamp.html

My aim has not been to reinvent the wheel, after all, there are many excellent websites covering much of the content already, but rather to give a summary with links to these other sites, and use the GoogleMaps feature.

I would be interested in constructive comments and some answers to some questions - please. (Don't worry about SPaG (spelling punctuation and grammar) -I'll sort those out as I go).

1. Sources. If anyone feels that I've quoted them and they need to see their names as a reference, please email me with the quote and your name

2. If anyone can help with other references (missing or otherwise) -please contact me.

3. I have placed the 'Ocean View" pub site on the site of the uneven carpark on the bend of the road by the upper reservoir. (?)

4. The Donnitz quote would appear that the Redmires camp during WW1 was also used as a POW camp. Is this correct?

Please play with the Googlemaps feature (particularly clicking on the blue lozenges).

I hope to post another Googlemaps feature on the Ringinglow area soon.

Thanks,

Bw

Rich Stevens

Sorry, title should read 'needED'

Hi Rich,

I too live close to this camp, in fact was literaly born at Lodge Moor so can genuinley call myself a Lodge Mooron!

With regard to the Google Map, the Ocean View Farm/Pub is in the correct location. However the placemarker for Hill 60 is a little far to the West - the marker you have for the quarry is actually Hill 60, a favorite location for some of my Scouting activities.

You also have Roper Hill labelled on what is Whitestones Moor. Roper Hill is a little further to the East.

Finally, There were two hospitals in Lodge Moor, both isolation hospitals. The other was on Crimicar Lane, where it meets Redmires Rd and known as the Crimicar Lane Hospital and Sanitorium, built in 1902 and knocked down in the early 1960s. The Hospital you have marked was built in 1888.

Here's a Before and Now of the site taken in 1915 and 2008 from the hairpin bend on Roper Hill

Hi Rich

Welcome to the forum.Did you know there's a community project concerning Redmires PoW Camp? There's a Facebook for it . It's between leaders at the moment but should become more active soon.

The WW1 camp was used throughout the war as a training camp, until the final stages when it was indeed a PoW camp.

Guest rtj stevens

Thanks Mike for the prompt and helpful reply; I'll make changes to the blue lozenges in the next hour. I got these placemarkers from the Archaeological survey download btw. Were Hill 60 and quarry hill the same place then?

Please may I make use of the 2 pics you published?

Many thanks,

Richard (off Blackbrook Rd)

Hi Rich,

I too live close to this camp, in fact was literaly born at Lodge Moor so can genuinley call myself a Lodge Mooron!

With regard to the Google Map, the Ocean View Farm/Pub is in the correct location. However the placemarker for Hill 60 is a little far to the West - the marker you have for the quarry is actually Hill 60, a favorite location for some of my Scouting activities.

You also have Roper Hill labelled on what is Whitestones Moor. Roper Hill is a little further to the East.

Finally, There were two hospitals in Lodge Moor, both isolation hospitals. The other was on Crimicar Lane, where it meets Redmires Rd and known as the Crimicar Lane Hospital and Sanitorium, built in 1902 and knocked down in the early 1960s. The Hospital you have marked was built in 1888.

Here's a Before and Now of the site taken in 1915 and 2008 from the hairpin bend on Roper Hill

Guest rtj stevens

Hi Bayleaf, thanks for the info. I didn't know about the facebook connection but will try to look them up.

Thanks again.

Bw

Rich

Hi Rich

Welcome to the forum.Did you know there's a community project concerning Redmires PoW Camp? There's a Facebook for it . It's between leaders at the moment but should become more active soon.

The WW1 camp was used throughout the war as a training camp, until the final stages when it was indeed a PoW camp.

Thanks Mike for the prompt and helpful reply; I'll make changes to the blue lozenges in the next hour. I got these placemarkers from the Archaeological survey download btw. Were Hill 60 and quarry hill the same place then?

Please may I make use of the 2 pics you published?

Many thanks,

Richard (off Blackbrook Rd)

Feel free to use it, but the 1915 picture is not mine. I can't remember who supplied it - I think it was DaveH or Dunsbyowl but hopefully they will be along to confirm.

Feel free to use it, but the 1915 picture is not mine. I can't remember who supplied it - I think it was DaveH or Dunsbyowl but hopefully they will be along to confirm.

I can't remember if I was the source of the 1915 picture, I certainly had it on file before Mike used it. I originally found it on t'internet, as a postcard I think, and it's on the facebook page I mentioned.

Guest purplecat

Hi

this is really interesting, I am a leader of Sheffield Young Archaeologists club and we were initially involved with this site through ARCUS at Sheffield Uni. that dept. has now been closed and all the info is with one of our other leaders who is supposed to be doing something re: the campsite in general so the email address on Facebook website is incorrect! We were up there on saturday with some of our club members after a session in the Local Studies Library looking at the old POW campsite which is our main point of interest. If anyone wants to get involved or has any info from older residents of the area we would appreciate any contacts/info as we are doing events around WW2 stuff all year witha hope of something specific at Redmires sometime soon.

I will tell the person responsible to change email address asap but on hols at moment

Here are a couple of WWII photos of my dad and his pals taken at Redmires training camp, taken shortly after war broke out.

First issued with "foul weather kit"

Here are a couple of WWII photos of my dad and his pals taken at Redmires training camp, taken shortly after war broke out.

First issued with "foul weather kit"

Interesting pictures vox. First one looks like it may be up at Stanage Pole but the walls to the right don't look quite right. No clue where the second one was though

Interesting pictures vox. First one looks like it may be up at Stanage Pole but the walls to the right don't look quite right. No clue where the second one was though

Just my memory of what my dad told me.

Before the war he had been in the Territorials, and when war broke out they spent some time at Redmires.

I just assumed they were actually taken at Redmires and never thought much more about it, but I suppose they went all over that area whilst training.

Too late to ask now.

The folly of not writing on the back of photos eh.

Whoops sorry, duplicate post.

Someone important please remove.

Oop's !!!

did as you asked HD.

But for some reason unknown to me, I have taken your last post away.

Sorry.

Just my memory of what my dad told me.

Before the war he had been in the Territorials, and when war broke out they spent some time at Redmires.

I just assumed they were actually taken at Redmires and never thought much more about it, but I suppose they went all over that area whilst training.

Too late to ask now.

The folly of not writing on the back of photos eh.

As I wrote in the post that disappeared. The second photo shows quite clearly a WW2 Chain Home Radar installation 'so must have been taken at the coast. The 300 feet high steel towers were for the transmitter and the smaller wooden receiver towers can be seen under the 2nd steel tower from the left. These installations were arranged all along the east coast and along the south coast around to Wales.

There is a lot about Chain Home and the other Chain Home Low system on the net.

HD

As I wrote in the post that disappeared. The second photo shows quite clearly a WW2 Chain Home Radar installation 'so must have been taken at the coast. The 300 feet high steel towers were for the transmitter and the smaller wooden receiver towers can be seen under the 2nd steel tower from the left. These installations were arranged all along the east coast and along the south coast around to Wales.

There is a lot about Chain Home and the other Chain Home Low system on the net.

HD

Interesting.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick about where they were then.

I'll ask mom if she remembers anything about them.

Guest sueellen

Hi Rich,