Sculpture carving demo for City Road sculptures, come along

Guest tomkenrick

Guest tomkenrick

As part of the re-development of City Road three sculptors have been commissioned to make 12 sculptures from Manor Top library down the hill ending at Manor Laith road.

This Saturday 30/01/2010 myself (Thomas Kenrick) and Tom Clark will be teaching and demonstrating Stone Carving at green estate’s York house next to the old Travelers rest pub which is now a shop. Green estate’s are running an even called “Name your Park” (referring to deep pits Park as some call it).

I am not to sure what other events are running on Saturday but there was defiantly talk of a hog roast.

If you or anyone you may know are interested in stone carving please come down and have a go we will be there all day; however the morning seems to be booked up with people carving so afternoon maybe the best time to come along.

As part of the re-development of City Road three sculptors have been commissioned to make 12 sculptures from Manor Top library down the hill ending at Manor Laith road.

This Saturday 30/01/2010 myself (Thomas Kenrick) and Tom Clark will be teaching and demonstrating Stone Carving at green estate’s York house next to the old Travelers rest pub which is now a shop. Green estate’s are running an even called “Name your Park” (referring to deep pits Park as some call it).

I am not to sure what other events are running on Saturday but there was defiantly talk of a hog roast.

If you or anyone you may know are interested in stone carving please come down and have a go we will be there all day; however the morning seems to be booked up with people carving so afternoon maybe the best time to come along.

These sculptures are in wood (being carved directly from a sawn off tree trunk) and NOT stone but I found them at exactly the location stated above, - behind the old Travellers Rest pub car park next to York House.

Clearly they haven't been there very long as the carved wood, freshly exposed, is still clean and the sculptures are in an open area (Deep Pits) and have not yet suffered any graffiti or vandalism from local youths.

Are these wooden sculptures in any way connected with the stone sculpture event?

These sculptures are in wood (being carved directly from a sawn off tree trunk) and NOT stone but I found them at exactly the location stated above, - behind the old Travellers Rest pub car park next to York House.

Clearly they haven't been there very long as the carved wood, freshly exposed, is still clean and the sculptures are in an open area (Deep Pits) and have not yet suffered any graffiti or vandalism from local youths.

Are these wooden sculptures in any way connected with the stone sculpture event?

Over a year since the last post in this topic but it looks like some progress has been made.

In the last year the main entrance to City Road Cemetry has been renovated and improved. I noticed when I walked past there recently that the entrance is now flanked with 2 stone sculptures.

There is some work going on at Manor Library as well, complete with a similar central sculpture.

Nice to see that in hard economic times when council run libraries are having their budgets cut and being closed down that at least this one is being improved.

There is some work going on at Manor Library as well, complete with a similar central sculpture.

Nice to see that in hard economic times when council run libraries are having their budgets cut and being closed down that at least this one is being improved.

Stone carving on City Road at the closed junction with Windy House Lane

Stone carving on City Road at the closed junction with Windy House Lane

Stone carving on City Road on the unbuilt land near the footpath to Edenhall Road which enters Edenhall road next to the old church / youth centre.

These wooden sculptures now seem to have gone as this area has been opened up as the new "Manor Fields" park on the site formerly known as Deep Pits.

Guest tomkenrick

I am glad to see you have been following the progress of the Sculptures. To see the complete development of the project please visit

http://sheffieldsculptures.wordpress.com