Atlantic Inn

Guest Jeremy

I can't see this one in our listings:

I'd book that one in as new - well found, I've not got it, nor him. There is a Brightmore Tavern, Brightmore Street (1871) but nothing to connect them.

You have a keeper, a Street, a Pub name and a year that's all we ask.

Congratulations - you've landed one ! lol

[is that a Bankruptcy ?]

Wow! I had thought that there were no new ones to find!

This is a 'Notice of Release of Trustees'. I have no knowledge of 1920s bankruptcy law, so I can only speculate on what that means, but my guess would be that this was people who who had been declared bankrupt coming out of bankruptcy, possibly, maybe?

So far I have found no other mention of this pub.

There will be others, most will turn out to be beerhouses not on our list of Pubs.

The rich resource for new finds (I think) will be :

Census records (hence Stuart and me fiddling about in 1891 - we only had 90 records for 1891 - compared with 783 for 1881 and 312 for 1893)

Years I don't have access to - Ukelele Lady seems to be doing well on that score

1925-1948 - our biggest gap, Depression but also Sheffield Gang Wars, protection, Boozers during the War, the re-emergence after the War

another big "gap" from 1951 onwards (my fault probably, I had always intended stopping at WWII, then 1951 data became available - then I foolishly added in the modern Bars/Pubs, including many I had never seen/been in/heard of)

and "stuff" - family history, bankruptcy records, newspapers, modern Directories e.g. 50's & 60's Directories, people's memories of Weddings/Funerals/Birthday parties.

It is certainly the first time I've seen it - the Atlantic that is; could be a rename if Atlantic was fashionable at the time, but we have no reason to believe it is not an unknown one.

Now, where was the King Tutankhamun boozer ?

<Joking>

Working on the possibility that it is a rename, there are two candidate beer houses:

The Rose and Crown

52 Brightmore Street/51 Mitchell Street (corner building)

Already known is 1948 Joseph Sollitt

I have found

1901 (Census) Rose & Crown Inn; Robert Coldwell; age 54; Spring Fitter

1901 (White's) Robert Coldwell, beerhouse

1919 (White's) Walter Bright, beerhouse

1925 (White's) Henry G D Stanton, beerhouse

It looks like this was called Rose and Crown both before and after 1923, so if it was renamed the Atlantic it didn't stick for very long.

The Brightmore Tavern

23 Brightmore Street in listing, but I found it at 86 Brightmore Street (probably street renumbering)

Already known is 1871 George Oldham (beerbouse)

I have found

1893 (Kelly's) Henry Tune, beer retailer

1901 (Census) Brightmore Tavern; William Blackburn; age 62; Edge Knife Grinder

1901 (White's) William Blackburn, beerhouse

1911 (White's) Harold Ellis, beer retailer

1919 (White's) Joe Addy, beer retailer

1925 (Kelly's) Samuel Lindley, beer retailer

The Atlantic could be a rename of either of these, though perhaps the Brightmore Tavern is the more likely of the two as the Rose and Crown name appears both before and after 1923, the known date for the Atlantic.

Jeremy

Wow! I had thought that there were no new ones to find!

This is a 'Notice of Release of Trustees'. I have no knowledge of 1920s bankruptcy law, so I can only speculate on what that means, but my guess would be that this was people who who had been declared bankrupt coming out of bankruptcy, possibly, maybe?

So far I have found no other mention of this pub.

I think the release refers to the release of the Trustee who would be appointed to control (and sell) the assets and oversee the administration of the bankrupt. You can assume therefore that all the creditors had been satisfield.

L.J Clegg was of course the son of WJ Clegg and a younger half brother of the famous footballing Clegg brothers.

I looked at both of 'em.

Jeremy, until we prove otherwise, I'd bask in the glory of having found a new one.

Congratulations and thanks for the evidence trying to disprove your theory, areal scientific approach.

Thanks Dunsby. I didn't know about L.J. Clegg or the release of trustees.

Richard, in looking at the Brightmore Street pubs, I noticed that we have the Salutation at 85 Upper St Philip's Road.

On the 1954 map this is Salvation rather than Salutation:

I haven't checked anywhere else yet to see which is right (maybe both are)

Jeremy

The Rose and Crown

52 Brightmore Street/51 Mitchell Street (corner building)

Already known is 1948 Joseph Sollitt

The Brightmore Tavern

23 Brightmore Street in listing, but I found it at 86 Brightmore Street (probably street renumbering)

Already known is 1871 George Oldham (beerbouse)

Richard… I've updated the listings for these two pubs, with the above information.

Jeremy