Dandelion Hawker

RichardB

I'm sure my eyes are deceiving me !

I read this as Mathias Marmion, 89, Hawking Dandelion, 55 Lambert Street (1891) - I will be having a drink, but not yet cuz I've got to drive, but ... maybe its the catnip !

I read this as Mathias Marmion, 89, Hawking Dandelion, 55 Lambert Street (1891) - I will be having a drink, but not yet cuz I've got to drive, but ... maybe its the catnip !

Hawking Dandelion - may be that is why he was still single at 89??? he hehe he A Hawking Rose may have attracted the ladies more than a Dandelion!! lol Could be doing the man an injustice though because I have no idea what it means!

Acording to the 1956 Film Deduce, You Say You had to have a Licence to Hawk Dandlions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049131/quotes

in the 1864 flood claims (Flood claims search page) there are 4 mentions of dandelions

(1)

a medical botanist lost 'Comfrey Roots, Mandrake Roots, Dandelion Roots £3'

- which seems to me a lot of money

(2)

Another botanist, presumably medical, lost:

Loss of and damage to Stock in Trade, including 3 Hampers of Herbs, Gambage, Anniseed, Angelica Root, Burdock Seed, Cherry Bark, Gentian Root, Golden Seal ~ Indian Pink, Mazarine Root, Marshmallow Root, Peruvian Bark, Lohelia, Poplar Bark, Pleurisy Root, Polipodia, White Pond Lilly, Scullcap, Senna, Sassafras Bark Valerian Root, Black Root, Una Visa ~ Cardigan Seeds, Cubebs, Dandelion extracts ~ Motherwort, Alliterative Pills, Rheumatic Fever and Cough Powders, Female Corrective Powder and other Articles

the whole lot £6 6d

'Alliterative' pills perhaps may prove fairly fascinating, and I hesitate to ask what 'female corrective powder' might be.

(3)

A grocer and tallow chandler lost lots of stock including '3 lbs Dandelion'

(4)

Finally a herbalist (same as medical botanist?) lost 'Dried Dandelion Roots 12/'

Hugh

in the 1864 flood claims (Flood claims search page) there are 4 mentions of dandelions

(1)

a medical botanist lost 'Comfrey Roots, Mandrake Roots, Dandelion Roots �3'

- which seems to me a lot of money

(2)

Another botanist, presumably medical, lost:

Loss of and damage to Stock in Trade, including 3 Hampers of Herbs, Gambage, Anniseed, Angelica Root, Burdock Seed, Cherry Bark, Gentian Root, Golden Seal ~ Indian Pink, Mazarine Root, Marshmallow Root, Peruvian Bark, Lohelia, Poplar Bark, Pleurisy Root, Polipodia, White Pond Lilly, Scullcap, Senna, Sassafras Bark Valerian Root, Black Root, Una Visa ~ Cardigan Seeds, Cubebs, Dandelion extracts ~ Motherwort, Alliterative Pills, Rheumatic Fever and Cough Powders, Female Corrective Powder and other Articles

the whole lot �6 6d

'Alliterative' pills perhaps may prove fairly fascinating, and I hesitate to ask what 'female corrective powder' might be.

(3)

A grocer and tallow chandler lost lots of stock including '3 lbs Dandelion'

(4)

Finally a herbalist (same as medical botanist?) lost 'Dried Dandelion Roots 12/'

Hugh

Seems to have been very popular back then, so maybe it was a thriving profession to be in.

'Female Corrective Powder' eh : may be it should have read 'Female Corrective Power' lol