Marti Caine

Sheffield History

p01h0n8t.jpg

MARTI CAINE

Marti Caine (26 January 1944 - 4 November 1995) was an English comedian.

She was born in Sheffield as Lynn Shepherd. After working many years on the club circuit as a stand-up comic, she rose to national prominence when she appeared on the show New Faces in 1975. After winning that year's competition she went on make more television appearances including the self titled Marti Caine. She also returned to New Faces as presenter during the mid-80s. She died from cancer aged 51.

PICTURES

post-1-1171287201.jpg

I'm looking for as much information on Marti as possible

Is it true before she was famous she used to run a cafe at Firth Park ?

Did you ever see her live ?

How good was she ?

marti.jpg

I do know Marti's final journey

was made from John Heath and sons Funeral home at Burngreave.

so she never forgot her roots.

I thought she was a great entertainer for that era.

She was either presenter or panellist on the variety shows wasn't she ? (the ones like the modern day ones where you get voted on by the three judges)

You were right about her winning New Faces that was her springboard to the bigtime. I remember her having the cafe on Bellhouse Road in Firth Park, we used to go in there from school to have chip butties instead of school dinners. She was always a fun person threatning to "Slap yer legs" if you were messing about to much or back chatting her.

Guest grandad

May have been after Marti passed away - but it was definately Marti Caines Sherbet.

I knew a girl who worked there... :D

My Late Mum used to take my little sister to a cafe on Bellhouse road,it was on the right hand side going down towards the roundabout, across the road from Rons, she always spoke highly of a Lovely Ginger haired Lady, who always made a fuss of my little sister, then a few years later Mum saw the same Lady on TV, it was Marti.

I was brought up on the lower Shiregreen estate, and I believe Martil lived somewhere off nethershire lane in Shiregreen as a child. :)

Lynne (Marti) and her first husband Malcolm did have a cafe in Bellhouse Road at Firth Park. It was called 'Malinkis'.

Guest fredmciverslovechild

She worked for a while at Richmond College probably in the early 1970's - my mum used to speak to her quite a lot....

Guest tsavo

She worked for a while at Richmond College probably in the early 1970's - my mum used to speak to her quite a lot....

.......and she never forgot working there. Every year she came back to take part in a training session for the Journalism course, to be interviewed and photographed. A genuine 'never forgot her roots', sort of Gal!

If you want to hear Marti singing Wild World with

Tony Christie just pop over to youtube and search for "Marti Caine"

Guest detrius

Hi

I remember meeting her as a kid at the "non pots" Non Political Club in attercliffe.My dad worked there behind the bar and also did the relief when the steward was away on holiday.Also sat on paul Shanes knee too (was only around 8 years old).Spent many a late night there,when i should have been asleep for school next day.

andy m

70sheffieldlad

MARTI CAINE

She was born in Sheffield as Lynn Shepherd. After working many years on the club circuit as a stand-up comic, she rose to national prominence when she appeared on the show New Faces in 1975. After winning that year's competition she went on make more television appearances including the self titled Marti Caine. She also returned to New Faces as presenter during the mid-80s. She died from cancer aged 51.

PICTURES

How good was she ?

She went to Hatfield House Lane School untill around 1960 approx, She also lived on Hatfield House Lane near Sheffield Lane Top. I last saw her when she was compare at the Fiesta.

Guest Tiger

When I was a kid my Grandma used to do dressmaking for her and my brother and I would go to her house. I remember one time not having enough money to come home on the bus and a kind man paying the difference. I must have been about 10 at the time.

Guest echo

The cafe which Marti Caine and her then husband Malcolm Stringer owned in Bellhouse Road, Firth Park, was called MALINKIS. I saw her live im Manchester and talked to her. She was 'dead right' as they say. Absolutely no edge on her at all.

Guest coffee cup

Used to see Marti Caine in Cole Brothers a lot. usually in the Coffee Shop.

I was also a member of her fitness place Sherbert, which was in an upstairs place down the Moor.

Bobby Knutt's wife place was on West Street.

I remember Lynn visiting our house when I was a youngster, she and her husband used to knock about with my brother.

If my memory serves me well I think my bro. was godfather to one of her sons.

MARTI CAINE

PICTURES

How good was she ?

Guest Rachel Leah

When I was a kid in the 80's I was told by some other kid that her ex-husband either owned or worked the butchers shop in Banner Cross, Ecclesall. I don't know if that's true.

I was told that Malcolm Stringer's butchers shop was on Cemetery Rd, opposite the junction with Washington Road.

Also as a married couple they lived on Mawfa Avenue, Gleadless Valley.

Marti owned Sherbert which she started with Sharon Chambers (maiden name)

Vicki

Guest SheffBlade

I was told Marti used to live round the corner from me when I was a baby/toddler (so late 70's early 80's) in Crosspool but I don't know any more detail other than being told that. I suppose 'round the corner' could be anywhere near lol